Sky HD in second room - Has technology improved

mark8par

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked a million times but!!!!

I am looking to run Sky through to the room with my projector, we wont watch alot of Sky in this room but it would be nice to have the option.

I dont mind if we can only watch the same channel in the other room, its more about picture and signal quality and not having masses of equipment and power cables. However running cables should not be too much of a problem into another room and I see people mentioning Cat6 cable.

What is the most reliable or best way to do this bar the second Sky box?

Thanks

M

Get a long HDMI cable.

HDMI cable longer than 8 meters, forget it, it cannot be guaranteed to work no matter who its from.
It might work, but if it does it will be luck, and may stop at your next firmware upgrade.

You will need a one in two out splitter at the sky box and it must have its own power supply.
Then a set of HDMI to category cable units, again these must have their own power supply.
Then two runs of category cable that are wired to T568B and are exactly the same length.

This will get you up and running with no loss of picture quality, with only one sky box you get the same channel at both locations.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-SPLIT...ping-BLACK/dp/B001D9P1OW/ref=pd_bxgy_23_img_z

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-Exten...W176CH4&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_

I have the above, they work just fine, if you want to go single category cable run, you need to look at HDbaseT, but those are quiteexpensive.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks for the replies, will any brand of equipment thats HDbaseT comaptible be ok or are some much better than others?

HDbaseT is a standard, a list of manufacturers and compliant products are here,
HDBaseT Alliance | HDBaseT - A Standard of the Future, Today

This is the cheapest unit I can find and there re no reviews, until recently these were all approx 200 pounds, i suspect the price drop is due to the UHD units being imminent, this one is not fully UHD compatible.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro®-HDB...e=UTF8&qid=1442246509&sr=8-1&keywords=Hdbaset

Note that regardless of which type of category extender you buy, these units just use the category cable to send a non ethernet compatible signal, so they cannot be part of any home network, no patch panels, no homeplugs or routers, the category cable used with all of these units must run unbroken from send unit to receive unit.

Also note: HDbaseT is the only tech that sends an unaltered and lossless signal over a single category run, previous single wire extenders mostly worked by converting to analog and back again with a massive drop in quality, so make sure what you are buying is HDbaseT.

The only non HDbaseT units that send an unaltered signal use two runs of cable, like the neetunits above.

Last edited:
Ok thanks Andy

If you used one of those on the link, if you wanted to change to a uhd one in a few years, would it just be a case of changing the transmitter and keep the existing cable?

As yet there is no standard set for full UHD/HDCP2.2/HDMI2.0 for HDBaseT.

Its quite possible it could be a a few years before they are released.

Also watch out for the quite frankly misleading HDBitT that a certain unscrupulous Chinese company is peddling.

Opening can of worms springs to mind. While I am running this cable through i might as well run some ethernet cables through for my network .
Who would you ask to fit these cables in your house, I guess an electrician is not really the right trades person?

HDBitT it will never end lol

Those Ex-pro ones just look to cheap to be honest so make sure you get a good returns policy. I'm wondering despite the wording that they are rebranded HDBiT models as they certainly come from the same manufacturer

Who would you ask to fit these cables in your house, I guess an electrician is not really the right trades person?

An electrician could certainly do it, or you could do it yourself. and yes run a couple of extras as wll.

Cable should be solid core Cat6 (doesnt have to be Shielded) but not CCA

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Those Ex-pro ones just look to cheap to be honest so make sure you get a good returns policy. I'm wondering despite the wording that they are rebranded HDBiT models as they certainly come from the same manufacturer

I was thinking it was a bit cheap, still, dealing direct with amazon there is usually a no questions asked return policy.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I was thinking it was a bit cheap, still, dealing direct with amazon there is usually a no questions asked return policy.

I am checking with the HDBitT company as they email me 10 times a day to try and get our business, so may as well find out for definite what they are and why so low cost.

Yes, of course you are correct, and that could also be done with a multimeter as long as you have both ends conveniently located. But if you have used the correct cable and wired the connectors correctly and checked for continuity, what could possibly go wrong?:)

The only non HDbaseT units that send an unaltered signal use two runs of cable, like the neetunits above.

That is not the case. CYP for example do several different models of non HDbaseT single cable extenders that do not in any way alter the signal.

That is not the case. CYP for example do several different models of non HDbaseT single cable extenders that do not in any way alter the signal.

Interested in the models, it,ll be a first if that is true!

Most of them have been discontinued now as they have been replaced with HDbaseT stuff, but at one point they did about a dozen single cat products - all of which were true digital bit-for-bit units.

The ones still available are the 107 and 1107, and I'm sure their days are numbered - I was really just pointing out that HDbaseT was not the the first single cat uncompressed / lossless solution.

Most of them have been discontinued now as they have been replaced with HDbaseT stuff, but at one point they did about a dozen single cat products - all of which were true digital bit-for-bit units.

The ones still available are the 107 and 1107, and I'm sure their days are numbered - I was really just pointing out that HDbaseT was not the the first single cat uncompressed / lossless solution.

No, ive tested units very similar to this a few years ago, they take the HDMI data, heavily compress it to one digital data stream, and re-extract at the other end.
Running the units on the cable test suite shows data at HDMI input is completely different to data at HDMI output. BER approaching 100%.
They work, but are not lossless and there are heavy artifacts and picture degradation depending on distance run.
The units typically fake out the5v line and generate their own EDID data, hence the switches for EDID settings.

Look at its flyer here...
http://www.cypeurope.com/_file/stor...01404251602390.PU-1107-KIT_Catalogue_Page.pdf
Note the change from HDMI "uncompressed data" at the HDMI socket, to " proprietary data" at the RJ45 socket, also note the lack of the term "uncompressed" at the RJ45 socket.

Back at the time of HDMI 1.3 there were typically twotypes of single category run extender, one converted to analog component, the other was thistype which heavily compressed the data into a single stream.
Both fake out the 5v line and EDID data, and neither are lossless.

There is a reason all their newer products are HDbaseT.

I am speaking from first hand personal experience having installed over 160 of the PU-107TX/RX combos over the past three years, all running 1080P/30Hz content with absolutely zero degradation to the image quality. The content we play has a lot of fast moving animation and lots of graduated colour tints which would have been horrific if these things were as bad you believe.

They do not fake EDID. The available bandwidth is 2.25Gbps which is more than enough for lossless transmission of 1080P/24-30 or 1080i/50-60. They do not like 1080P/60, but appear to fail completely rather than downsampling or doing anything weird to the image.

You may have tested 'similar' devices, but you did not test these - they are actually very good.

We continued using them after the HDbaseT stuff was introduced because we are familiar with them and trust them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom