Question Sky HD in 2 rooms with limited existing wiring ?

Dave P2001

Established Member
Reaction score
Sky HD in 2 rooms with limited existing wiring ?

I'm asking for advice about this for someone else:

He's considering get Sky HD installed in a 2 storey house, with the cables from the satellite dish going into the attic.
He'd like to be able to watch Sky HD in two rooms at opposite sides of the house. He doesn't want to have to run any more cables due to not wanting to damage existing finished walls & floors.

The first room is prewired with 3 cables from the attic to a faceplate, the second room is prewired with 1 cable from the attic to a faceplate.
Both rooms currently only have a Saorview (Freeview) feed at the moment but this can be done without & replaced by the Sky HD feed.
There are no network connections in the room.

Is there any way to have the Sky HD box in one location, preferably in the room with one cable & still be able to send the HD signal to the other room ?

All advice & suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
I know Joe will agree, Wireless HD just has never lived up to its promise. Maybe if in same room or through thin walls.

We have tried literally dozens of them looking for the nirvana of a reliable wireless HD solution that works between rooms with no success. Well except the Extron system at about £900 but even then the range was brilliant.

This is one of the main reasons why we developed the HdJuiceBox

Ok here's what we are thinking of doing:
----------

The Sky HD box will be installed in the attic, it will be connected to a HD modulator via HDMI, the Sky HD box will also be connected to a i/O Link which will be connected to RF IN on the HD modulator for the Sky eye function.

Next take the output from the HD modulator & use a TV Aerial & Satellite Combiner to combine the signal with the Saorview (Freeview) signal. The output from the combiner is then fed into a 4 Way TV Link Amplifier to send the signal to each of the rooms.

In each of the rooms a Sky eye is connected to the faceplate, the signal is then fed into another TV Aerial & Satellite Combiner to split the HD modulator & Saorview signals again, one feed (Saorview) is connected to the TV via the Antenna In & the other feed (HD modulator(Sky HD)) via the LNB In.

----------------------------------

Will this work & will the Sky eye function work ? If not where am I going wrong.

Last edited:
The modulator needs to go on the input side of the Sky I/O link, the sky magic eye signal wont work through a modulator.

Have I got it correct now ?
3a WIRING DIAGRAM SKY HD  HDMI Modulator Combiner Splitter iO Link.jpg

No, the modulator cant be in the chain between the magic eyes and the sky box. It should be an input into the I/O link

Interesting, modulators dont normally pass thru the magic eye signal. Give it a whirl

Do you have the modulator yet ?

No we haven't ordered anything yet until we are sure it'll all work ;)

Do you think everything else I've suggested & shown in the drawing will definitely work the way I'm planning on connecting it ? (apart from your concern about the magic eye & the modulator)
Splitting the Saorview & HD signal form Sky in the TV rooms should work ?

Thanks for all your advice so far btw :)

Not sure what the combiner is giving you really would be my only comment.

What price is the modulator as we have similar model ?

Re read the thread and rather than all the combiners, etc, i'd have sky box installed in main room and go HDJuiceBox

I read elsewhere that combiners usually need to be used in pairs. The one in the attic is used to combine the Saorview & Modulator (Sky HD) signals, do I not need a Combiner in each room again to split the feeds or would plugging one lead into the TV find all the all the channels if I tried to tune them in ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom