sky hd how toget see it in bedroom

godf

Established Member
Reaction score
hi i hope this is the corect place to post this. i have a sky hd box down stairs in my lounge and have just bought a new samsung 32 hd tv for the bedroom and would like to know if its possible to take an hd feed from the box down stairs to the tv upstairs. what cables would i need and what other equipment would i need to make this work ?:lease:

i have a rf cable i used to use when i had the basic sky box but since i got hd instaled it dosent work and if i do plug it in i loose chanel 5 on the bedroom tv. i havent tryed this on my new samsung tv yet but would like if possible to have the benifit of hd in the bedroom if its possible and not to expensive to do also. :lease:

thanks for any help and replys i get to this problem. :thumbsup:

ian

RF lead is easy to sort, lets say your normal terrestial channels arrive on 52-68 your SKY box could be outputting on say 55 which is right in the middle of this. Go into Services on the SKY box and then press 4,0,1 you should now be able to change the output of the SKY box to what every you like so something like 28 would be good as it is well out of the range of the above. Also activate RF out for a magic eye whilst you are in the services.
As for HD you will need a HDMI splitter on the back of the SKY box and a very long HDMI cable (This is not always successful). There is also a CAT5 solution with special extenders which is not cheap.

As for HD you will need a HDMI splitter on the back of the SKY box and a very long HDMI cable (This is not always successful).
Just to add to Andy's comments, I have recently done exactly this. My Sky HD box is actually located in my cellar, where I have my home cinema setup. I recently bought a new plasma for the lounge, and this is connected exactly as Andy mentions...1m HDMI cable out of the Sky HD box into a '1 in, 2 out' splitter, with one output going via a 1m HDMI cable to my AV amp (next to the Sky HD box) and the other output up to the plasma via a 20m HDMI cable. The cables are nothing special...I think I paid less than 20 Euros for the 20m HDMI cable, but it works perfectly.

The only 'issue' is that in order to allow me to change channels from the lounge, I still have an aerial cable from RF2 connected via a magic eye, even though the RF2 output is not used at all for picture purposes.

I could have used a video sender for the same purpose, but the walls in my house are 30cm thick reinforced concrete and from experience I know that the sender signals don't work well.

Hi

I have done the HDMI splitter to bedroom route.

Brought a ebay splitter (loops make) and a 10 meter hdmi cable, splitter was around £30, and cable £10.

I still use the RF2 RF just for the TV eye/sky link to change the channels on the box from the bedroom.

Beware of people trying to sell you high priced splitters as the cheap loops one works fine for me, and I have been using it for around 3 months with no issues and no hdcp errors.

Good luck.

May I hijack the thread slightly to pose a related question. Can the Sky+HD box's scart output be used to attach a good quality digisender and relay the image to my TV in the bedroom? I was thinking of buying the Nikkai 5.4GHz video sender kit and doing this? By the way cables are not really an option for me.

May I hijack the thread slightly to pose a related question. Can the Sky+HD box's scart output be used to attach a good quality digisender and relay the image to my TV in the bedroom? I was thinking of buying the Nikkai 5.4GHz video sender kit and doing this? By the way cables are not really an option for me.

Yes, but i think you can only send standard combined SD component this way, not rgb scart. And not HD. You will also have to check the senders allow a RF send back to change channels.

RF lead is easy to sort, lets say your normal terrestial channels arrive on 52-68 your SKY box could be outputting on say 55 which is right in the middle of this. Go into Services on the SKY box and then press 4,0,1 you should now be able to change the output of the SKY box to what every you like so something like 28 would be good as it is well out of the range of the above. Also activate RF out for a magic eye whilst you are in the services.

is there a trick to get into the 4,0,1 part as i have tryed it and cant find the 0 part of this ? i have only options 1 to 8 on the option 4 page. how do i get option 0 ? sorry if this is a stupid and easy thing ti fix but i am ( thick as 2 short planks) at times ;) thanks for your time and help on this.

ian

Yes, but i think you can only send standard combined SD component this way, not rgb scart.

Thanks. Could you explain what you mean by the above please? I don't mind that I will not be able to receive HD material. I just want to be able to watch Sky News in the morning before I get up!

is there a trick to get into the 4,0,1 part as i have tryed it and cant find the 0 part of this ? i have only options 1 to 8 on the option 4 page. how do i get option 0 ? sorry if this is a stupid and easy thing ti fix but i am ( thick as 2 short planks) at times ;) thanks for your time and help on this.

ian

when you press 0 nothing happens, just carry on and press 1 after the 0 then select.

Nothing displays on the screen when pressing the 0 and the 1, but when pressing select after this the hidden installers menu will pop up.

Thanks. Could you explain what you mean by the above please? I don't mind that I will not be able to receive HD material. I just want to be able to watch Sky News in the morning before I get up!

You can do it ok, sky outputs hd over hdmi and the same picture standard over scart and rf. The scart output has 3 RGB lines and a standatd single SD component output. I think the video senders only take the single combined video from the scart. It means it will be not as good as a tv directly connected to a rgb scart, but good enough for watching tv in the bedroom.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
thanks for your fast reply i thought it would be something simple :thumbsup:

would this switch be ok for the hd to bedroom ? or could you recomend a better 1 ?

1 input 2 output 1080p HD Sky PS3 1x2 █►HDMI SPLITTER◄█ on eBay, also, Video Switches, DVD Home Cinema, Consumer Electronics (end time 30-Jun-09 13:46:24 BST)

ian

It will probably be ok, I used this one

LOOPS® 1 INPUT 2 OUTPUT HDMI OUTPUT SPLITTER 1x2 HDTV on eBay, also, Video Switches, DVD Home Cinema, Consumer Electronics (end time 06-Jul-09 03:43:23 BST)

as it came with a PSU (Which was not needed in the end).

Either one will be fine I think?

Have you worked out the length of the HDMI cable, I thought I would need a really long one, but after measuring with a tape measure it was only 7-8 meters, so a 10m one from ebay worked ok for me.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
i havent measured up yet but as the bedroom is above the lounge and the tv in the bedroom is virtualy above the tv in the lounge i would think a 10 meter cable would be fine.

next problem is how do i get the cable from lounge to bedroom without seeing the cable in the lounge.

so maybe cat5 option maybe best ? unless someone has easy and clean solution to get the cable up through the ceiling to bedroom.

thanks for all the help with this guys :clap:

ian

i havent measured up yet but as the bedroom is above the lounge and the tv in the bedroom is virtualy above the tv in the lounge i would think a 10 meter cable would be fine.

next problem is how do i get the cable from lounge to bedroom without seeing the cable in the lounge.

so maybe cat5 option maybe best ? unless someone has easy and clean solution to get the cable up through the ceiling to bedroom.

thanks for all the help with this guys :clap:

ian

I was torn between the two also, but luckily found a channel the old pipes ran up from a boiler behind the fire, which is not their anymore.

If you do go via the cat 5 route, you have to use two cat cables independent of hubs or anything, and have two pieces of kit at both ends with power supplies, it is also more expensive (I think).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom