Sky HD - how far from box to TV?

25plover

Standard Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone can advise if it's worth me getting HD please?

:lease:

My sky + boxes are on 3rd floor of the house, where main set-up is, which is excellent.

Via boosters I have coaxial connections to various other rooms and due to the length of cable - up to 60 ft - from box to TV, I thought it's not worth switching to HD because I'd lose definition or still have to run through boosters/ coax.

Am I right or is it worth going HD - I'd like to!

Thanks

My sky + boxes are on 3rd floor of the house, where main set-up is, which is excellent.

Well that's OK then, assuming that your "main set-up" is the HD TV.

Via boosters I have coaxial connections to various other rooms and due to the length of cable - up to 60 ft - from box to TV, I thought it's not worth switching to HD because I'd lose definition or still have to run through boosters/ coax.

You can only send SD through the coax - so this really has no bearing on whether to go HD or not. The resulting picture on the other TVs in the house will be exactly the same as it is now in picture quality terms.

To be a little pedantic, the picture may look slightly better as a result of the H.264 encoding and higher bandwith channels. But this is a fairly subtle improvement which will probably be impossible to spot once you have modulated the SD output of the box and sent it down a long coax through boosters to be demodulated by another TV.

Perhaps an installation expert can comment - but I am surprised that you need a booster for 60 feet of coax. In coax terms that's not a particularly long run, is it ?

I guess that you are probably using a small distribution amp to split the signal - this will of course boost the signal, so perhaps that is what you are referring to.

Regards

The current Sky+HD boxes output HD video over HDMI only. If you want to watch in HD, the box should be connected to your main TV with an HDMI cable. If you want to distribute HD video from the box to other TVs around the house you'd need to add in some sort of HDMI distribution system. HDMI over Cat 5/6 seems to be used a lot, but I don't have any experience with this myself. Check out this section of the forum for more info:

CAT5 Cabling Forum at AVForums.com

Sky+HD boxes have the same RF connections on them as Sky+ boxes. If you upgrade your Sky+ box to a Sky+HD box then you can continue to distribute the Sky video feed to the rest of your rooms as before with the existing equipment. HD video will be downscaled to SD though over the RF connection.

Many thanks for the advice and feedback. It looks like I'm stuck with SD in other rooms then if I stay with the coax set-up.

But yes, I'll explore HDMI networking options also.

Help grealty appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom