• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

sky hd -home theatre system

cozzywozzy

Standard Member
hi ,im new to this site,can any one help or advise me please ,
i have sky hd and a sony dav-tz230 home theatre system (hts) and a dvd recorder linked to the tv, after reading various forums i believe to get full 5.1 sound from the sky hd box it should be linked direct to the hts but my system has only a scart and hdmi cable plus a coaxial jack for picking up radio. i have the scart and hdmi cable plugged into the tv and the sound is great playing a dvd through the hts, will putting an optical cable from the sky box to the tv help me get a better sound when the hts is switched on ? i have a tv /dvd /radio option on the hts control and was wondering if a optical cable will help
i would appreciate any help/advice
cheers
andy

Broadz

Distinguished Member
If your home theatre system doesn't support optical or digital coaxial input it can't be used to provide digital surround sound from an external source.

As you say, the only input it supports is scart (HDMI is output, not input) so the best you can feed it from your Sky box will be stereo, which the home cinema may then be capable of outputting as Dolby Pro-Logic.

As you already have a separate DVD recorder, so don't need the DVD part of the home theatre, and as the home theatre is crap at providing external input, you will probably do better replacing the Sony home theatre with a true surround sound amp/receiver and speakers, which will allow you to connect your DVD recorder, your Sky HD box and any other kit you buy in the future, and will produce digital surround sound from all the stuff you can connect to it.

By the way - no Sky threads in this forum.

logiciel

i didnt realise i was in the wrong forum can it be moved to another ?
putting an optical cable from the sky box to the tv
This thread was immediately above where you posted and is difficult to miss, but OK, I've moved you to the right sub-forum: http://www.avforums.com/forums/satellite-tv/411852-no-sky-freesat-related-threads-here.html.
I doubt if the TV has an optical in socket but if it did it would not be of any use, so the answer IS, if you want 5:1 sound from the channels and programmes that carry it, then a new amplifier will be required.

cozzywozzy

Standard Member
thanks for the advice
i think i'l start looking for a better system
have you any recommondations for a system between 200 and 300 quid ?

logiciel

That's OK and as broadz said the way to go is "true surround sound amp/receiver and speakers".
For a replacement home theatre system you'd still be pushed to stay under £300 - here's one a little above that.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
There is a world of difference, and price, between a "system", and just the equipment you need to get what you desire.

If you are happy with the speakers that came with the Sony, then all you need is a "real" AV receiver with optical and/or co-axial digital inputs. - You are on your own there though many here will have an opinion.

logiciel

It was a tie, on time.:clap:

logiciel

Mischief Maker. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom