Sky+ HD Home Set Up Solutions: 1 Box

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Dave.bfc, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Dave.bfc

Dave.bfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

Having recently purchased a tv for my Study/Games Room, I'm keen to finally get a Sky input to my two upstairs tv's. The box sits in the downstairs living room, but I would like to have HD in at least the study, and the bedroom if possible. Both of these rooms are upstairs.

I have read many threads regarding Sky+ Home Set Up's but everyone's requirements are specific so I thought it better to start a new thread seeking advice.

I have used red-eyes in previous homes but would firstly like to know whether it is possible to wirelessly distribute the HDMI signal from the downstairs Sky box to the two upstairs bedrooms also?

If not, then its a case assessing the different wiring options. I would require an HDMI input into the upstairs study at least, and would prefer this in the upstairs bedroom also. Can I ask for advice on the best way to do this?

The house is timber framed, so I should be able to feed the wires up the inner walls.......he says!

Thanks in advance.

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Hi.
    I've been around here for a while but can't say that I've ever seen any thread about "Sky+ Home Set Up's".:confused:
    Does "1 Box" mean that you have decided against Sky multiroom?
    The next question to ask is whether it has to be Sky - whether you want subscription channels in the other rooms.
    If you don't then a separate satellite receiver or PVR for each room, probably Freesat, would be the solution.
    Then there's the question of how important HD is - as that makes it more complex and expensive.
    If it's not then there are two methods - co-ax cable from Sky machine RF2 Out socket, or wireless videosender.
    At a guess the reference to "red-eyes" means that you have used the first of those before, as it uses "magic eyes" for the remote control back to the Sky machine.
    There are equivalents to both methods for HD quality - using baluns and CAT cable, and using HD wireless videosenders.
    Let us know which of those alternatives you want more details about.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  3. Dave.bfc

Dave.bfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and thanks for the almost instantaneous response!

I just meant that there are a good few threads from people asking how best to channel an output from their sky box to tv's around their home.

I considered Sky Multiroom but the other half won't allow it. It is appealing however given the current £49 charge for the HD 1TB box with no installation charge. I will unfortunately have to rule it out for now however.

Yes, I will definitely require Sky HD in the upstairs games room, and if I'm putting HD in there, then I'm probabaly as well putting it in the upstairs bedroom too.

Apologies for the reference to the "red eye" - I was indeed meaning the magic eye. It doesn't look like this is an option though as I require HD.

If you could advise further on the HD options you mention it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    That's OK - I tend to be around here at all sorts of times - and people do ask a lot about distributing a Sky channel.
    Sky usually instal a receiver for multiroom, not a PVR, and the price varies, but I'd never pay the subscription for it.;)
    HD wireless videosenders were very expensive but have dropped to some extent recently so that could be an option, especially as the house is timber framed.
    For the wired HD system you'll need to look for suppliers of baluns and CAT cable, as well as for the HDMI splitter and for the distributor that will be needed in this case.
    Google searches produced these items first for each system:
    HDMI Wireless Video sender full 1080p Edimax WD-1000TR
    HDMI Over Cat 5 Balun HDMI Extender CAT5e / CAT6 1080p 50m

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  5. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    If the plasterboard on your timber framed house is "foil lined" (and many are) then wireless videosenders of any type are unlikely to work.

6. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    More importantly being timber frames means you cant simply push up walls !!

There will be a baseplate , then at least two dwangs , then the top plate. You woul have drill into the top plate or bottom plate to gain access into the void behind the Gyproc.

You can punch right through from one wall to another.

Anyway finding the soil pipe for the toilet and follow that into loft is best bet for cabling or a cupboard.

You need RF cable to change the channels on sky box with magic eye , BUT use HDMI channel to watch your 1080 i signal.

Best bet is to buy 20 metre run of Cat 6 with ends on it from Amazon ( dirt cheap ) or HDMI cable up to 20 metres. Beware 15 metre ' ish ' is seen as maximum to run HDMI but its worth a shot at 20 , as again HDMI 1.4 from Amazon cheap again.

However running 1 or 2 Cat 6 cables from your router to games room and then using a Switch is bet bet anyway for all your Smart tv , games consoles & blu ray players.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0000E5SEQ/ref=mp_s_a_2?pi=SL75&qid=1347232767&sr=8-2