Sky HD - HDMI to 3 rooms - POE/HDMI Balun/Switcher Box

1ofaKind

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Got 3 HD TV's in the house. Want to upgrade existing Sky box to HD and then have the following plan.

Gefen 1:3 HDMI Box - So take the 1 HDMI from the Sky HD box in and output 3 HDMI cables.

1 --> Normal HDMI Cable into Main TV

Then for the other 2 TV's

1 --> HDMI/CAT5 Extended --> POE Box POE Box <--- HDMI/CAT5 <-- TV

None of the other 2 TV's btw are easily cabled which is why I need 'wireless' in some form of another.

Will this work? Anyone used POE kit to send HDMI --> CAT 5 signals round the house?

Cheers

Hello 1ofaKind

Keep in mind the HDMI over Ethernet units are simply using the balanced line properties of the twisted pair cable they are not transmitting a Data signal a PC or similar would understand.

I take it running 'external' CAT5 is not an option?

There are alternatives to Gefen that may be worth considering - see http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDDA34-UK.htm

Joe

Hello 1ofaKind

Keep in mind the HDMI over Ethernet units are simply using the balanced line properties of the twisted pair cable they are not transmitting a Data signal a PC or similar would understand.

I take it running 'external' CAT5 is not an option?

There are alternatives to Gefen that may be worth considering - see http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDDA34-UK.htm

Joe

PS Twelve months or so down the line Wireless HDMI will be a possibility - though don't expect it next week; http://www.wirelesshd.org/

I am in a similar situation and have been reading the various threads. Please forgive my lack of technical knowledge which may mean some inaccuracies in my descriptions here!

I understand that (at reasonable cost) it needs two CAT5/6 cables to run HDMI via baluns. My home is networked with CAT7 (it is a Lexcom arrangement) and I do have 2 runs to each point where I would like to watch Sky HD.

My current arrangement is that I use one run to distribute my Sky+ via SCART baluns and my standard Sky as composite, plus the IR link over the other run. That means two of us can watch and select different things at the same time (even if one is in composite only).

I would like to upgrade to Sky HD - ideally with two receivers in my "server room", though I could make do with one Sky HD plus my Sky+ if necessary.

However(!):
1) I don't like the fact it will only take Stereo sound. I have a good 5.1 system and it would be a shame to waste it!

2) I need to use the IR remote over the network too and won't be able to if there are no spare CAT7 runs, because HDMI has used them both.

3) Similarly, If the Sky HD is using up both CAT7 runs, I won't have one to run my SD Sky+.

Is there any way round this? I guess I am looking for the ability to run:
1 x HDMI for SKY HD
1 x Digital Audio for SKY HD
1 x Composite (component plus audio would be better of course) for SKY+
1 x IR control

.... and to do it all over two CAT7 cables.

I did read on this site that one provider has found a (rather expensive) way of transmitting HDMI over one CAT cable, so it sounds as though maybe not all 8 twisted pairs are used for HDMI. Does that mean there might be a balun available to suit me?

there are units which will do hdmi over one cat5 cable but as you say they are quite expensive. you can do IR wirelessly quite cheaply/easily so that might be an option.

do you need multichannel audio in all of the rooms? if not you could locate the hd box next to a receiver and distribute from there with a direct connection to your amp for that room.

Hello Greene1

HDMI over a single Ethernet cable is possible and works very well - see http://www.digitalextender.com/detail.aspx?ID=71

As owain thomas says the audio capabilities in each room will dictate what you do and don't require in terms of Stereo and Multichannel audio across the Distributed wiring.

An alternative arrangement to is to go with Analogue 'Component' HD video + audio - that may offer you more flexibility in terms of getting HD Video + Multichannel audio + IR to each room using the installed cabling.

Joe

Many thanks to both Joe and Owain.

Unfortunately the wiring won't allow me to move the Sky HD box out of the Server room, while USD599 sounds a bit too pricey for just one pair of baluns when I need four!

Excellent idea about the audio. I could get away with just one room receiving digital audio, and in that one I actually have 4 Ethernet connections, so I have room. For the others, I could get away with just stereo (using the HDMI over two cables) .... but still wouldn't have the connections available for my SD Sky+. Maybe I need to sacrifice that.

I'll have to think a bit further. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom