SKY HD HDMI powered in S/By

mickbirch2000

The Thomson HD box is the only gear I've used that stays powered on its HDMI in standby. I know this because I have been using a HDMI switch that indicated on LED's when I/P had power on it. This begs the question why is the Thomson box different to such other items as a Tosh 360e dvd player , my HTPC Elonex Artisan & a Panny DMR-EX75 none of which have power on HDMI when in standby?? This hasnt been a problem to my set-up until now, I have a newer intelligent HDMI switch that should switch to an i/p as its powered which works very well without the Sky HD connected. As soon as Sky/Thomson box connected the voltage that is permanently on the HDMI upsets the auto switching!
Looks to me that Sky/Thomson rushed these boxes out without properly sorting the HDMI parameters which has caused no end of trouble. Lets hope later generation boxes will be sorted in every department..
Mick :(

armchair bri

Novice Member
The Thomson HD box is the only gear I've used that stays powered on its HDMI in standby. I know this because I have been using a HDMI switch that indicated on LED's when I/P had power on it. This begs the question why is the Thomson box different to such other items as a Tosh 360e dvd player , my HTPC Elonex Artisan & a Panny DMR-EX75 none of which have power on HDMI when in standby?? This hasnt been a problem to my set-up until now, I have a newer intelligent HDMI switch that should switch to an i/p as its powered which works very well without the Sky HD connected. As soon as Sky/Thomson box connected the voltage that is permanently on the HDMI upsets the auto switching!
Looks to me that Sky/Thomson rushed these boxes out without properly sorting the HDMI parameters which has caused no end of trouble. Lets hope later generation boxes will be sorted in every department..
Mick :(
this may well tie in with a question i have asked today about the fact that i have to make sure that we switch the skyhd box off before the pioneer 436xde otherwise we get a signal leak that is on till we switch back on again. Brian.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello mickbirch2000

The HDMI/HDCP Implementation on SKY HD is very poor and as you have spotted once its made an HDCP connection it always keeps the HDCP channel open - even when the box is supposed to be in standby.

Joe

Giblets2

Novice Member
A perfectly good workaround would be to use Component from the SkyHD box instead. It does of course mean switching inputs manually from the remote though.

mad_angler1

Novice Member
the HD box is unlike a DVD player or recorder in the aspect of its never really in standby, its always on, this is required for it to record, the standby option only really turns off the display output, this is why there is still power to the HDMI, I suppose they could have powered it down in standby but is all that extra switching really necessary?. The standby is a compromise really, for sky+ to work it need to be on all the time but if they had not put a standby option on it they would have been accused of not being green enough, it might not do much but it keeps the majority of people happy thinking they are saving energy. :D

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello mad angler1

Nope - its simply a very poor HDMI/HDCP implementation.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom