SKY HD - HDMI Connection - Audio Question

Rich6826

Hi guys

Just a quick question for those that have a HDMI connection from their Sky HD box to their amplifier/receiver.

Does the amp get the 5.1 sound signal via the HDMI connection, or do I have to use the optical connection also? My understanding is that 5.1 can be carried by the HDMI, but I wondered if the Sky box didn't output this signal. Nothing would suprise me with Sky!:rolleyes:

Thanks

HD-Dude

Novice Member
Rich6826 said:
Hi guys

Just a quick question for those that have a HDMI connection from their Sky HD box to their amplifier/receiver.

Does the amp get the 5.1 sound signal via the HDMI connection, or do I have to use the optical connection also? My understanding is that 5.1 can be carried by the HDMI, but I wondered if the Sky box didn't output this signal. Nothing would suprise me with Sky!:rolleyes:

Thanks

HDMI from the Sky box only outputs stereo. If you want 5.1 must be optical output. HDMI is capable of 5.1 (in fact 8 channels, 7.1) but Sky have not utilised this functionality.

Jim.

F

Family Guy

There are actually 2 versions of HDMI v1.1 & v1.2. v1.1 dosen't carry 5.1 whilst v1.2 does...guess what version Sky use...:rolleyes:

My older (by 18 months!!!) Pioneer 868 uses v1.2 ***!!!

HD-Dude

Novice Member
Family Guy said:
There are actually 2 versions of HDMI v1.1 & v1.2. v1.1 dosen't carry 5.1 whilst v1.2 does...guess what version Sky use...:rolleyes:

My older (by 18 months!!!) Pioneer 868 uses v1.2 ***!!!

Unfortunately, this is not true.

See

http://www.thebaj.com/features/hdmi_2005_07.htm
about halfway down under "What flavour of HDMI would you like?"

This explains the difference between the three versions of HDMI. All are capable of 5.1 digital audio. Version 1.1 is actually capable of 8 channel audio.

However, Sky have chosen to restrict the audio output on HDMI to stereo and 5.1 goes out only on the optical. This is not an HDMI specification issue.

Jim.

C

chasrc2

HD-Dude said:
However, Sky have chosen to restrict the audio output on HDMI to stereo and 5.1 goes out only on the optical. This is not an HDMI specification issue.Jim.

So could Sky re-enable 5.1 via HDMI through software download if they chose to do so or is it disabled through hardware?

HD-Dude

Novice Member
chasrc2 said:
So could Sky re-enable 5.1 via HDMI through software download if they chose to do so or is it disabled through hardware?

I don't think they can do it on the Thomson box but future boxes may well have the capability. I think it is due to the way they introduced 5.1 on the Sky+ boxes and have just copied this design accross to avoid too much initial testing.

Jim.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom