Sky HD HDMI->Component conversion - Some questions

xiy

Standard Member
Hi guys, I have a problem with a friends home cinema setup and was wondering if you could give any advice.

For some reason, when the company they hired installed their home cinema equipment, they connected almost everything with either component hd (YPbPr) or standard video cabling. This has lead to them using their Sky HD in standard definition for years, and to be honest, watching a horrible picture which could look a lot better considering the hardware they're using. As they aren't at all knowledgeable in all of this, I've taken it upon myself to remedy it for them.

I want to avoid as much disruption to their current wiring as possible, and they don't want to ask this company to come and sort it out for them as they've messed them around so much in the past. The equipment cupboard is about 10-15 meters from the plasma screen, and the projector is just above the rack. So here are my questions:

1. What is the best way to convert the HDMI signal from the Sky HD box to component so that I can route it to their plasma and projector screens, without having to rewire the entire house?

2. Do I need to worry about HDCP when converting from HDMI to Component HD?

3. Is it possible to couple HDFury with a converting box?

I have found a few options but at the moment, HDCP is my only concern. Any help would be really appreciated.

Here is the equipment concerned, just FYI:
Pioneer Kuro Plasma w/ HDMI & Component inputs
Vidikron Vision 20 Projector with YPbPr, DVI-I, No HDMI
Amstrad Sky HD box with 1xHDMI output, currently outputting in standard composite

DannyTucker001

A simple solution would be do get a Sky HD box with a component out. These can be picked second hand or new.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Any 'converter' that will work with SKY HD is going to include a 'work around' for HDCP so you'll not need to worry about it once you install the converter - Media Factory - Vision HDMI to Component converter

Joe

PS The reason many installers are sticking with analogue HD rather than digital HD (HDMI) is the high potential for connectivity headaches when using HDMI.

xiy

Standard Member
Any 'converter' that will work with SKY HD is going to include a 'work around' for HDCP so you'll not need to worry about it once you install the converter - Media Factory - Vision HDMI to Component converter

Joe

PS The reason many installers are sticking with analogue HD rather than digital HD (HDMI) is the high potential for connectivity headaches when using HDMI.

Apologies for the late reply. That's good to hear, thanks for the link!

And yeah I didn't think it was Sky's fault, more the guys who installed their original home cinema system a few years previous.

Anyway, many thanks for the help!

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom