• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky + HD hard drive

Hotcup

Standard Member
I have a noisy hard drive but is more like a rumble which is picked up by the audio. I can hear it on the bedroom TV which is fed by RF2 from the lounge where the Sky box is. It is an Amstrad HD box.

Any ideas. I rang Sky but got the normal script reading. I never got her to understand the issue

MartinPickering

I don't understand, either. What you seem to be describing is "microphony", which pretty well disappeared with thermionic valves.

I think you are trying to diagnose rather than describe the symptom. Please describe and let us do the diagnosis. And don't forget to state the make and model number on the LABEL.

Hotcup

Standard Member
Not sure which information you maen by label Amstrad sky part code 14245. Celestica HD DRX890 Mark 2 (UOM=1)

When in a diferent room to the Sky box and I am watching with say a 5 min delay, or there is a program recording whilst I am watching Live, I can hear a bass thodding type noise through the speaker of the TV. it is not a regular spaced noise and It is not loud. You can hear the normal sound fine but it is very noticable when there is a gap in dialogue ect.

I hope that is a better discription of my problem and thanks for the reply

MartinPickering

OK an Amstrad DRX890 mk2.

That IS a good description and it seems to me that it really might be microphony, although it's hard to guess which component is acting as the microphone. However, if it's not happening via Scart, then it's likely to be a coil in the RF Modulator section. If that is so, and if I had it in the workshop, I'd have a go at dripping wax on the components in the RF modulator.

But the fact is - it shouldn't be doing it. Your best bet is to tell Sky there's loud interference on audio and leave it at that. Don't attempt to describe it any further. Just ask them to send an "engineer" with a replacement Digibox and keep on asking. If they refuse, ask for cancellations and then explain to them that you don't really want to cancel but you wanted to speak to someone with a brain.

You can test for "microphony" quite easily. While watching a programme via RF, get someone to tap the Digibox rear panel with a pencil.

BTW, nobody at Sky will understand "microphony" so no point trying to sound knowledgeable!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphonic

If it IS a coil at fault, then I'd expect all DRX890s to exhibit the symptom.

Last edited:

Hotcup

Standard Member
Your information has given me helpful information. Thanks. My main TV is connected by HDMI and I cannot hear the noise on that TV. If the problem is the RF2 would it also be on RF1. What I plan to do is tune my main TV into RF1 and listen for the noise on the main TV whilist it is getting its signal from the RF1 rather than the HDMI.

I have now tuned in Main TV to RF1 and the sound is on that one too

Last edited:

Bristley

Standard Member
Thanks for the thread.
I also have this issue. There is a rumbling noise in the background which gets louder when volume increases and stops completly on mute.
The sound is there using a Scart, an HDMI and using RF2 on any of the 3 other TV's in the house. The volume also has to be higher than normal.
My Amstrad Sky HD box is less than 2 months old, so will ask for a new box - but is annoying as have entire series of Boardwalk Empire to watch.
At first I thought there was an error with the TV or the HDMI switch.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom