Sky HD goes down???

steviemc

Standard Member
OK have a strange problem I think, when searching i could only findfaults for swithing off or loss of signal,

I got a 2nd Sky HD box for a bed room and it goes blank every couple of minutes then comes back up.
It does it on all channels on the box that I have.
Doesnt power off or say loss of signal just goes blank and the tv channel selection comes up in the corner (what usually happens when a different channel is selected)

The tv is fine with a dvd player and xbox.

Tv is a sharp aquos. 32"

Any help would be great.
Stephen

logiciel

Hi and welcome to AVF.
The first question is what make and model the machine is, and my answer is usually to get Sky to replace it!

steviemc

Standard Member
It says on the box Maunfactored under Dolby model DRX980.
Is that any use?

I dont think i could get a replaced as I bought it through a friend for the 'free' channels.

logiciel

It should be 890 and if it is then it's the current Amstrad aka Sky model and shouldn't give any problems at all.
Have you tried the standard procedures of disconnecting the power, planner rebuild, and so on?

steviemc

Standard Member
I tried switching it all of and on again and looked for a reset button.

I know nothing about this kind of thing.

It was on here i learn how to run another cable from my dish for the box.

I just looked into a planner rebuild, worth a try but it does it while tv shows are on and not a recorded planner program playing.

Last edited:

logiciel

Check whether it actually is the 890 and let us know.
Is it connected to the TV by HDMI cable, or by something else?

logiciel

OK, thanks - that PVR shouldn't be going wrong so it sounds like a problem with the HDMI conenction. Try a different connection, such as Scart, and see if the problem persists then.

rentagas

If the HDMI cable is dodgy i.e. snagged loose connection etc. it will do exactly as you describe. You could try a new (cheap) HDMI cable otherwise it could be the box. I've had a few thomson's on their way out that intermittently lost the HDMI connection making the screen go blank. Remember HDMI is all or nothing there is little sign of a dodgy connection other than an occasional flash or freeze the signal just disappears

logiciel

steviemc

Standard Member
Just to update ive changed from using the hdmi cable to using a scart cable and its fine.

So can anyone recommend a hdmi cable?

logiciel

Whatever cable they have at a local shop, or on EBay - less than £5 for a 1 metre length.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom