Sky hd & freesat hd

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by BackSeatBoy, Feb 12, 2009.

1. BackSeatBoy

BackSeatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    At present i have sky HD in on room and Sky + in another. I have recently been thinking of getting rid of the multiroom but I believe the sky + function will no longer work:thumbsdow.

Looking at my options I can either just use the old sky+ box as a sky free sat option but the kids will complain they can't record their TV. What i was thinking of was getting a Humax HD freesat + box so I can drop the £10 multiroom charge & gain ITV HD and still record, i will then have Sky HD in one room and Freesat+ HD in another off the same dish, is this possible?

2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    Yes, if you drop the subscription then the Sky+ functionality will no longer work. You can still get Sky+ without a subscription though if you opt to pay the £10 a month fee. Probably not what you want though if you're cutting back because of the cost.

The Humax box will work fine with your setup, yes. You shouldn't have to do anything other than swap over the boxes of course.

3. BackSeatBoy

BackSeatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Now all I have to work out is if it is worth paying £300 for the HD freesat box or get sky HD in the other room & multiroom so paying £20 a month. Only 15 months then I'm up (although I get a lot more HD channels)

I suppose one other option is to buy a skyHD box off ebay for about £150 and pay for multiroom but not HD so I just get BBC HD c4HD and any others they throw in for nowt....

How much is a 2nd new HD box off sky nowadays?

4. jeegnesh

jeegnesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Recently looked into the same, the were charging £199 for the second box. I think it also signs you up for another 12 months but you would need to check that.

The other crazy way but it limits what you can watch, is to wire your current HD box to 2 TV's and use aerial feed. Restriction is both TV can only watch the same, but you get full remote control from either, and when you do want o watch different you can at least watch aerial or freeview if you have it.

More details in this post http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-hd/892829-sky-hd-box-over-rf-3.html#post8936408 I tried the cheapest setup and it works, and you get HD quality to the second TV. Not great for everyone, depends on your requirement.

5. newboy2008

newboy2008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I hear that some people can get "multiroom lite" for £5 a month.Maybe look at that option?

6. dmaidmen

dmaidmen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    You can buy an HDMI splitter for under 20 notes on fleaBay and run both RF and HDMI to the 2nd TV. Works very well as the 2nd TV can also watch freeview as mentioned by jeegnesh or the same HD content as downstairs via the HDMI. If you have an older component enabled box you could run component to TV1 and HDMI to TV2 eliminating the need for a spiltter.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  7. BackSeatBoy

BackSeatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    what is multiroom lite?