• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky HD for freeview need a new card

JonnyConcrete

Hi folks.

Ive been using my Sky HD box as a freeview box for a while now. I have only just got around to ringing sky for a new card but they want £20 for it :thumbsdow

I was then going to sell it to get a freesat box so I can watch ITV HD but I see a thread here stating that you now can receive this channel on the Sky box.

Is there anywhere I can get a Sky card for cheaper or even the same price as I really don't want to give Sky another penny of my money?

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Yes SKY have always charged for a FTV/Freesatfromsky card, they cost money and since you are not subscribing then they don't give them away:)
While the cards remain the property of SKY (why they are often removed from ebay listings and the like) you may get lucky and find one but remember the new cards are being issued so you could buy one and it goes dead in a week.

I assume you bought the SKY+HD on the open market and not under a subscription deal which would explain why you don't have a card?

ITVHD can be added when you have the new EPG update, that said a proper Freesat HD PVR will allow you to record the HD channels but CH4HD is not on Freesat atm.

JonnyConcrete

I assume you bought the SKY+HD on the open market and not under a subscription deal which would explain why you don't have a card?

No, I had Sky HD sub for over a year so now the box is mine. Didnt they just send out new cards to everyone so now my card doesnt work?

I paid a lot of money for this HD box and I think its poor form on skys part to charge me for a new card.

simon194

No, I had Sky HD sub for over a year so now the box is mine. Didnt they just send out new cards to everyone so now my card doesnt work?

I paid a lot of money for this HD box and I think its poor form on skys part to charge me for a new card.

:confused: If you've had a Sky HD sub you already have a card that will work for all the FTA and FTV channels or am I missing something here.

Starburst

Distinguished Member

So the ex-sub card no longer decrypts SKY3, Fiver or say CH4HD then?

Yes you paid for the box which is a separate entity to the smartcard but the new card issue still has weeks to go before the 9.4million users and those non-sub customers who bought cards have them replaced.

I'm not quite sure where an ex-subscriber stands, I don't believe you have any long term guarantee on the card being replaced unlike those people who did buy a £20 card or freesatfromsky which included the card.

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Nope. The whole layout of the epg looks different but on every channel it says "No satellite signal being received".

The you have a serious problem not related to the status of the card.
Check your LNB connections and do a power cycle on the box as well, seriously a lack of reception should have been the first thing to mention before a card which is useless if you have no signal.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom