1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky HD first broadcast

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Liam @ Prog AV, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Not sure if it's old news or not but Sky HDs first broadcast is apparently happening at the What Hifi show first week of November, which coincides with the expected timescales for HD installers to get their demo boxes.

More fuel for the fire that maybe Sky HD will be available pre-Christmas

2. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Last I heard February was their planned date to release it, hopefully this will give NTL some incentive to get their fingers out and hop on the HD train sooner

3. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,
    for those that dont know.
    what hifi are doing the show in conjunction with ' stuff live ' @ the novotel,hammersmith.
    pioneer will also be there with their 436/506 (amongst many others)and not at the hifi show ,heathrow.

4. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    a sky maintenance guy came round last weekend and said March `06....who knows

5. No-One

No-One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Let's not forget that skys engineers were telling people that the personal planner was coming "next month" for 4 years.

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    LOL!!

I don't think many subscribers will have anything in their homes by Chrimbo. But I wouldn't be surprised if it started making it's way into pubs by then. The show is first week of November, with Sky's first broadcast will be done there as a publicity thing (ties in with a big HD special in the magazine etc). A friend who works in marketing for Sky has been saying this for quite a while, and various people who think they're in the know (but probably aren't) have thrown similar guesses to the wind!! This time though What Hifi have actually said as much, and it's on their site.

I reckon there's probably confusion over "launch" and actually shipping new decoders out to subscribers and managing the logisitics of getting everynoe signed up etc. So as I say, more fuel to the fire but I imagine it will likely be store demo units and public licenses that will have their boxes early on.

7. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Liam

2 questions if I may?

1) Will initial broadcasts for the trade be in the clear for those without a Sky box
    2) How do I become a pub to get one early?

I have a Philips DSR 9005 on order - so may catch some early tests within a month or so.....

H :clap:

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I don't really know the answers I'm afraid. I do know that Sky installing stores get demo units from about the same time the What Hifi show happens. The pub thing is a suggestion that keeps coming up, purely because they pay thousands of pounds a year for subscription for display in public place and if they get HD football out to the masses it's a pull factor to get residential sales.

The suggestion is that following the launch the service is basically live, so unless lack of digiboxes or something similar is the case (or the launch is a failure in some way), Sky would be mad to sit on it when they could be taking in subscriptions!!

I'm sure the Sky stand at the Stuff show will be full of information. Actually, thinking about it it probably won't!!!! Would be about right for Sky lol!!

9. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ah well - patience eh? As it happens I've just looked at the What Hifi site and signed up for a sub, so something good came of the visit. It's a pity i'll be in Portugal teahching during the week of the show - will miss it which is a shame.

If your shop gets a Sky box early please be sure to post a shop window piccy of it ASAP!

Cheers

H

10. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    lol! Still waiting for sky to confirm if we can install them

11. The_Munter

The_Munter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    there is an image of the sky HD box in STUFF magazine this month. They say it's release date is Feb 06

12. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yup i've seen lots of pictures in the glossy mags - just itching to see what the back of the unit has going for it!

H :smashin: