Sky hd fault - no signal being received

modey

Prominent Member
Reaction score
For the last few nights when i've been watching bbc1 i get a blue screen and a message saying no signal is being recieved.

I then can't get bbc1,bbc2,itv,channel 4 and channel 5.

Allthe other channels seem to be ok but the only way to rectify this is to turn it off at the mains and then re-boot it.

The screen started freezing tonight before it went off which has never happened.

Thing is i'm worried if it's a fault with the box, has anyone else had this?

I think it is possibly still under 12 months old so surely sky will either fix or replace this?

Any advice?

If it's under 12 months old, why are you posting on here rather than calling Sky? You have a guarantee and Sky will sort it out for you.

Call them.

Cheers,

Martin.

If it's under 12 months old, why are you posting on here rather than calling Sky? You have a guarantee and Sky will sort it out for you.

Call them.

Cheers,

Martin.

Because i've just spent half an hour trying to get through to them with no joy and i thought someone on here might know what the problem was

Thanks anyway

I know they can be dammed frustrating to get through to at times, but stick at it, as it sounds like a weird one to me anyway but, you never know, perhaps someone will have an answer for you.

Hope you get it sorted out soon. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Martin.

Check the signal strength, Services->4->6, it could be the dish is out of alignment of blocked.

Check the signal strength, Services->4->6, it could be the dish is out of alignment of blocked.

The siganl strenght is fine, still haven't got through to sky :mad:

Is it a Thompson box? Possibly your PSU in the box is giving up. This can cause strange things to happen to the pictures/channels etc.

Ive started to notice this happening to mine a bit more recently. Waking up and finding the no signal thing, quick planner rebuild sorts it out for a bit. Luckily it doesn't happen while watching tv so am not to concerned about it at the moment. But am sure its a sign of its age (2 and half years old), and any moment its going to go kaput.

Iv'e been getting the same problems on my 2 year old Thompson box for the last couple of weeks.
If I use the + button to go to BBC2 from BBC1 b/screen with no signal is being recieved I get a picture then use the - to go back to BBC1 and it's OK.
This does not always work and you have to flick up and down a few more channels till one kicks in, if this fails which some times it does I have to get off my arse and turn it off at the mains.
Lifes a bitch.

Finally managed to get through to sky about this problem, after talking me through various thins to reboot the box, it still had the fault, so he booked me in for an engineer vist, the date i got.... 20th feb!:eek: so i've got to wait 3 weeks for an engineer to call

I know its a bit late but I believe you can cut out level 1 technical support by calling 0844 241 1025. The last few times I had problems these guys sounded like they were in the uk and didn't ask me to repeat pointless tests.

Still ended up booking a service call though :p Good luck with your call. See if the installer has a range of boxes to choose from.

Duncan

Finally managed to get through to sky about this problem, after talking me through various thins to reboot the box, it still had the fault, so he booked me in for an engineer vist, the date i got.... 20th feb!:eek: so i've got to wait 3 weeks for an engineer to call

You know what, I have been having the same problems as you (see my other thread)
After two calls today being nice and playing through the script, I managed to get an engineer visit for Thursday

the box is being strange though, one minute it works, next it doesn't. Ive noticed that the ITV 2/3/4, the More4/E4 channels and DMAX doesn't work. BBCHD doesn't work but C4 HD does

Oh well I hope I get a new box on Thursday, thats if I don't throw this one through the Window first :devil:

I thought I'd add to this thread:)
I have the Sky Engineer coming in the morning to look at my box as I have been having the same problems as the OP.
Now its sods law that I turn the box on and I am getting the channels again!

If he turns up tomorrow and it is still like this, do you think he will still swap my box if I explain to him whats been happening to it?? :(

The only thing I have to prove I've had problems now is a failed recording from Channel 4 last week. Hope that's enough to convince him, I don't want it to be OK then conveniently fall over after the warranty runs out in a fortnight....

Same thing happend to mine.Losing certain channels.Even though signal strength and quality were good.Engineer came out on Monday and replaced box.Mine was one of the original Thomson boxes.

Same thing happend to mine.Losing certain channels.Even though signal strength and quality were good.Engineer came out on Monday and replaced box.Mine was one of the original Thomson boxes.

thats good to know :)
Out of interest, what box did they give to you as replacement? I take it they gave you a refurb as well?

Sounds like faulty capacitors on the 1st gen Thomson boxes, which is a known fault even admitted by Sky CEO. Instead of getting a refurbed box & being charged for the privilege - Refer to the Sale of Goods Act & the post by Ollie201

http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-hd/866062-65-engineer-call-out-questions-2.html

My box has now got the same fault, so i've ordered replacement capacitors from Satcure, which should be fitted over the next couple of days.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom