Sky HD-Excellent Value

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Matt.Seymour, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Matt.Seymour

Matt.Seymour
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I had Sky HD installed 4 days ago, and i cannot rate it highly enough. I have watched numerous movies, including " The Dream Team " " Three Days Of The Condor" to name but two.These two movies, in particular, were stunning, and you would struggle to locate them on dvd, yet they were broadcast in stunning HD. My point is this,there seems to be quite a few people bemoaning the £9.75 HD sub, however at under £2.50 per week, this to me, is fantastic value.
    Sky, are the only broadcaster, who appear to have embraced the concept of HD.
    The BBC, however, appear un-interested, judging by the so called" BBC HD" Channel. This appears to be full of "BBC HD Preview", with very little decent HD content. At the end of the day, no-one forces you to subscribe to Sky, let alone the Sky HD service, yet the law requires you to own a valid TV License, which in turn, subsidises the Behemoth BBC,who although, in receipt, of a multi-million pound budget, funded by the License payer, have quite frankly, made a pathetic attempt at broadcasting a true HD channel, but are happy to blow millions on new Gaelic channel, to cater for a minority. I say hats off to Sky, who provide a fantastic HD service, for a relatively small ammount.

2. Kimberson

Kimberson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,833
    here here its about time the bbc stopped forcing the tv license on people. i for one will probably only be watching heroes and fomula one on the bbc this year and am forced to pay for this pleasure. Its a joke and its just another added expene to an already growing list of bills. And its about time people had the choice to ditch bbc alltogether

3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I have some sympathy for this, but not much. The fact is HD is an extremely small minority too. Fwiw, the BBC was at the forefront of HD in the UK, but it doesn't have the funds to do everything. You pay nearly as much for the HD sub alone than you do for the BBC and everything it provides.
    And that's without the movie subscription!
    I'd go so far to say that if everyone was handing that amount of money to the Beeb, the programming would be miles better than Sky's, because apart from movies and sport and the very odd programme, most of it is utter garbage, imo.

Anyway, not everyone can afford a sky subscription and that's what the service is there for. To provide a service to all, as opposed to make a profit via people who can afford a lot more.

That's exactly the reason we're shutting down all our post offices, because of this greedy, money-grabbing, must-make-a-profit, can't provide a service, crazy world we live in :mad:

Rant over :D

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of things wrong with the BBC, but I'm an avid supporter of it and it's aims.

I suspect we won't agree on this one :D

4. pdoherty76

pdoherty76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Freesat is by far the best value for HD. It is FREE and has ITV HD with exclusive HD football content that isnt on SKY.

5. pdoherty76

pdoherty76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

The BBC has the 6 nations rugby in HD along with wimbledon and has had the olympics and euro 2008. It is a fantastic free service.

6. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    No its paid for by little old ladies who only watch BBC2 on their portable tv's and everyone else who pays a license fee.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Value is always subjective and endless back and forth over the merits of FTA HD compared to PAY HD and the pricing will get us nowhere very quickly:)

BBC HD is provided from the license fee which we are forced to pay regardless of how much we watch, value is therefore related to the content we watch and our stance on the license fee business model. SKY HD costs much more but then provides much more HD content from themselves and third party suppliers, again the extra cost is put up against the increased content, value being calculated on how much you watch and exclusivity.
    Regardless of the conclusion there will always be people that champion the BBC or SKY and even some that sing VM's HD praises but one thing is for certain there is nothing really to be learnt that we don't already know.

8. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,775
    Put the blame, if that's what it is, in the right place, with the government of the day.

9. pdoherty76

pdoherty76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

Why do you pick on little old ladies? Virtually everyone pays the license fee. The license fee is not just for BBC HD or indeed the BBC service. You have to pay it to own television recieving equipment.

It is certainly better than paying the license fee AND paying further HD fees to sky.

We pay once, you pay twice:D

10. fatty5000

fatty5000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

What do you watch exactly on freesat ??

11. Martin J.

Martin J.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    For what it's worth, anyone over 75 is exempt from paying the license fee.

12. pdoherty76

pdoherty76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

Hmm let me see.....since getting a freesat hd box about 8 weeks ago I have watched:

7 HD football matches on ITV HD with 4 more to come in the next 2 weeks
    The BBC HD crimbo output, very good.
    Strictly come dancing on BBC HD (more for the missus)
    Wild at heart on ITV HD (defo for the missus)
    The obama inauguration in HD
    The royal variety performance in HD
    Will be watching all the 6 nations home games in hd
    Watched the 3 part drama premiere unforgiven on ITV HD
    Some films on ITV HD

Not bad for a free service.

13. pdoherty76

pdoherty76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

Haha gasdad showing he isnt too good on the maths again.

14. captain69

captain69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Anybody care to guess how much each household pays per year for the "free" ITV, Channel 4 and C5 dross. (Check out your planner for how much you've recorded from these guys in the last week........er nothing)

Answer - about £100 per household.:eek:

Why? Because they have adverts and (just about) every retail company in the UK advertises on these channels and pays the commercial channels to show their adverts and then charges it back to every single product we buy. To work out the cost per household you just look at the published advertising revenue and divide by 22 million, the number of private homes in the UK.

So...people complain that they pay £140 for the BBC. OK value IMO.
    So...people complain that they pay too much for Sky. Good value IMO.
    So...why don't people complain about paying £100 for Coronation Street, Jamie Oliver and Fat Divorced Mother of Seven on Benefit Explodes After Eating Wigan documentaries:suicide:

PS - FYI I was one of the people at TV Licensing in Bristol that worked on the technical side of introducing free licences for the Over 75s and the blind.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  15. djjimbob

djjimbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    That's a good joke.

freesat - What's On

3 days with nothing on ITV HD next week.

Mostly Antiques Roadshow and In The Night Garden on BBC HD.

Enjoy :hiya:

16. wbabbington

wbabbington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    After your post on the freesat forum where IMO you were spoiling for a fight with Gasdad and your recent posts on the sky hd forum i think everyone is aware of your viewpoint. I am happy for you that freesat offers everything you want from a HD service and that being the case you will never get Sky as it doesnt fulfil YOUR needs. A perfectly understandable position.

However, this is a thread about someone giving Sky credit for a job well done in THEIR eyes. IMO it does not require the type of input fom you that appear to insist on giving where ever you can. If this was a thread on the merits of Sky HD over Freesat then by all means give your view point. But it isn't.

In this case you are taking the op off topic and (again its only my opinion) doing nothing but trolling. Please dont, its getting tiresome.

17. mudstuff

mudstuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well said.

18. kenedin

kenedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    I couldn't agree more. Single-issue types in any forum have nothing of value to contribute to sensible discussions, and are best ignored.

19. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Don't watch football or rugby, although there is more on Sky HD than you'll ever get on BBC/ITV in HD.

Golf and Cricket are my preferred sports. Apart from four, two hour sessions of the Masters on BBC HD, there is no other FTA HD coverage of either sport.

We get about 30 golf tournaments in HD on Sky as well as ALL domestic cricket fixtures and starting next week, five tests and ODIs in HD from the West Indies.

You've mentioned Wimbledon in your previous posts, well if you had Sky HD you'd get the other three Grand Slams in HD as well!!

About 70% of all our viewing is in HD. So for us it's more than excellent value.

20. Jez1

Jez1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    In other words, it's all about what you watch. Sky HD is good value if you don't change your viewing habits but now get most of what you would normally watch in HD.

It's poor value if you get it then change your viewing habits to make the most of HD, as on that basis you then start watching things you wouldn't normally enjoy, just because they're in HD.

Since I like tennis the 2 weeks since I got Sky HD has been superb. Looking forward to cricket in HD, and all the Premiership matches. I like Lost and 24, so having those in HD is great too, as well as several movies. So for me it's working out quite well.

21. D'@ve

D'@ve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I think Sky HD is acceptable value, mainly because I hate the unecessarily poor quality of SD broadcasts because of the low bitrates used. Given a choice, I'd go for mandatory higher bitrates on all SD channels, which are currently unsuitable for large flat screen TVs in my opinion. However... as there doesn't seem to be much chance of that happening, I went for Sky HD two months ago and I am happy with the picture quality on all HD channels.

When I switch on these days, I usually check the HD channels first to see if there's anything I want to watch. Only if there's nothing, or if the programme I want to see is not on in HD at the same time, do I turn to the SD.

The biggest HD annoyance? Channels such as BBC HD when they don't broadcast an HD programme concurrently with the SD version, I am not willing to wait, I will watch it in SD if that's on first.

I am not committed to Sky HD, I can cancel my sub at any time but I now think I'll keep it anyway.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  22. pdoherty76

pdoherty76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

Yes I intend to enjoy the HD football on ITV. stop being jealous.:D

23. fatty5000

fatty5000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

So was any of that worth watching really even for free.

It wouldn't work for me

I don't like footbal at all
    Xmas finished weeks ago along with the good programmes
    Strictly anything is strictly crap imo
    Wild at heart....see above
    I'll give you Obama as good viewing
    Royal variety ....I didn't even know they were still being made/filmed
    I don't like rugby
    Unforgiven was mediocre at best
    How many times had you seen those films before.

But as long as your happy thats what counts, I still fail too see why you keep trolling about your freesat service ..............which is free of course

24. Jez1

Jez1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The royal variety performance in HD :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

How would anyone get by without this in HD?

25. Beancounter

Beancounter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58

Not exactly free as you have to pay between £120 to £150 for an HD box? I got one a few months ago, watched quite a bit on BBC HD over Xmas but apart from that, Hustle and some football on ITVHD and that's about it.

The Sky offer at present is very tempting as looking at the HD schedules there are several shows I would watch. £100 Quidco, £50 vouchers more than covers the £10 fee.

26. pdoherty76

pdoherty76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

Wrong. I got the 49.99 deal at empire direct on crimbo eve. Even took back the bush i bought from argos on december 3rd.

You cant claim im not getting value for 50 quid:D

27. fatty5000

fatty5000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Did you watch the repeat of the The royal variety performance in HD earlier, I didn't because I have loads of other HD channels too chose from.

28. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Some cheap shots from all sides, imo :thumbsdow

The best line by far in this thread and why I love the Beeb.

Could you see Sky doing similar?

Fwiw, Sky is fair value, if you can afford it, imo.
    I'd jump at it tomorrow, if it could do decent BB.

Even then, I think there is a major monopoly thing going on here and would like to see some real competition.

Some people need to take the blinkers off a bit and realise how much power Mr "stay out of the EU" Murdoch really has, imo :rolleyes:

29. fatty5000

fatty5000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

TBH I don't give a monkeys about the company or the boss, if I thought along those lines I would buy no petrol would'nt go too tesco etc etc.

Sky can offer better TV, Virgin better broadband , so I use each company for there best merits, I probably pay more than I should but I want a high level of service and useability and I'm prepared too pay for it.

Some people aren't prepared too pay for the higher level quality or quantity, thats up to them i guess.

30. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    So you choose one line to pick your argument :)

Good for you, I'm glad you can afford the best :smashin:

Typical sort of answer I expected tbh.

Fwiw, I can afford it too.