Sky HD Dolby digital audio

kcsun

Established Member
Reaction score
My Sky HD box is connected to an Arcam receiver using the optical link and set to output dolby digital when available. The screen on the Arcam shows what audio type is being received, either DD5.1 or anything else is translated into DD2.0 - DTS neo cinema.
Why are most HD programmes broadcast using Dolby Digital 2.0? surely it is better to broadcast in DD5.1?
I do not understand why when all the Jools Holland programmes are advertised on the BBC as being wonderful high quality picture and sound they only run it in dd2.0?
Crap factor is also in DD2.0 and I am surprised that Downton Abbey which has a massive production budget also only transmits in DD2.0

Is it that Sky charge extra to programme makers to send the 5.1 signal

Your views please???

kc

Perhaps we're watching different programs, but all the Sky Movies HD films, and lots of the SD ones as well, that I watch are in DD5.1, as are many other programs on other channels - I couldn't possibly start to list them here. I can't comment on Jools Holland programs as I'm not a fan, but Downton Abbey is an ITV program and, to the best of my knowledge, ITV broadcast nothing in DD5.1 at all.

It'll be interesting to see other peoples' comments.

Cheers,

Martin.

It's the broadcasters who decide what standard of audio to provide, programme by programme.
My view is that they should be more consistent but I don't think they'd be interested to know that.;)
Amplifiers show two different things - what type of audio they're receiving, and what format they're producing it in.
DD 2:1 or 5:1 would be what they receive; Neo Cinema what they process it to.

Hi Martin
I agree that the movies channels are mostly in 5.1 as are quite a few Sky one programmes, what I was wondering is why the BBC, ITV, Ch4 etc seem to hold back on broadcasting in 5.1

Logiciel, I realise that the broadcast is in 2.0 and then processed up using the neo cinema to give a false surround, I am just annoyed that I find alot of programmes seem to have a budget of almost nothing spent on the audio track, either mumbly, background music too loud etc

or is it just me.............

kc

Hi Martin
.... what I was wondering is why the BBC, ITV, Ch4 etc seem to hold back on broadcasting in 5.1 ....

I'm not sure, but I believe that some of the BBC, CH4 and Ch5 programs are broadcast in DD5.1 on their HD channels although, as already said, none of the ITV ones are. I must keep a better lookout in future.

Cheers,

Martin.

I find alot of programmes seem to have a budget of almost nothing spent on the audio track
or is it just me.............
As I said, "my view is that they should be more consistent", so it's not just you.
The problem is that more people have HD TVs and notice the video, than have amplifiers and notice the audio, so the broadcasters allocate their priorities accordingly, and the point about Sky charging doesn't come into it at all.

Hi Martin
I agree that the movies channels are mostly in 5.1 as are quite a few Sky one programmes, what I was wondering is why the BBC, ITV, Ch4 etc seem to hold back on broadcasting in 5.1

It's been a prerequisite that all Sky1 HD commissioned programming has to be made in DD5.1 since its launch six years ago.

I can't remember an HD US import that hasn't had DD5.1.

Shame the PSB's are so far behind.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom