• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky HD Distribution system

Valleybhoy

Standard Member
Hi,

I need to install a SKY HD distribution system for up to 10 TV's.

On our main site we run an Exterity IPTV system but i need to come up with something cheaper.

I thought about an HDMI Distribution Amplifier and HDMI over ethernet adapters but I'm open to any other ideas if anyone as them?

logiciel

If this thread has been moved please advise and I will repost.

Is there any cabling in place at the moment COAX, CAt5e/6?
What is the application, is it a commercial or domestic setup ?

How many Sky HD Boxes are there, will there be any other sources such as blu-ray, fresat etc?

Are there any other sources such as

logiciel

repost?:confused:

logiciel

Valleybhoy

Standard Member
If this thread has been moved please advise and I will repost.

Is there any cabling in place at the moment COAX, CAt5e/6?
What is the application, is it a commercial or domestic setup ?

How many Sky HD Boxes are there, will there be any other sources such as blu-ray, fresat etc?

Are there any other sources such as

It's an empty shell at the mo but there will be CAT6 to all points

It's a commercial setup with one Sky HD box and a Bluray/DVD player connected, possibly another will be added for streaming in house adverts

logiciel

You realise that there'd be issues about Performing Rights and with Sky about encrypted channels?

Hi

Do all TVs need to be able to receive all sources in any combination ?

Do you need Infrared control back to the sources ?

In essence if you need any source to any TV it is 3x10 Matrix that you require, though in practice more likely to be a 4x12.

A HDBaseT system will only require 1 Cat6/Cat5e cable and will provide 3D and extended lengths of up to 100M from source to TVs.

A system like this

A Dual Cat5 system will require 2 x Cat6/Cat5e cable and will provide lengths of around 30M for 1080p, from source to TVs. However this will be considerably cheaper.

simon194

Prominent Member
You realise that there'd be issues about Performing Rights and with Sky about encrypted channels?

The OP will need a PVSL (Filmbank and MPLC to cover films from most studios) and a PRS licence (for the film soundtrack) for BD/DVD.

On the Sky side it would probably be cheaper to go with a commercial multiroom setup because there will be a choice of channels in each room rather than the one from the central Sky box. The former cost £7-20 a month per room (depending on the package), the latter is charged per channel per room but I don't know what the going rate is for this.

I think we need a little more detail on what the application is and/or what purpose it is being used for ?

With the previous IPTV solution what did you do about licencing ?

Valleybhoy

Standard Member
In our stadium we have 50 TV's all on SD IPTV and we run one sky box.

Licensing wise we pay PRS fort he TV;s and the live music etc.

Just on channel would suffice in the new site, it will be split in to 2 with one side a bar, the other a retail outlet.

Looking for a cheap solution as budgets are being cut left right and centre!!

Hi

A few options spring to mind but the cheapest is probably

10 way HDMi Splitter over dual Cat5/6

Would you like me to get you an idea of a price for a solution like this ?

Seb

pmcgsmurf

Established Member
One thing to consider may be a HDMI Multicast Transmitter (IP-1000TX).

You can connect one of these to a HDMI source then install up to 127 receivers (IP-1000RX) and these also allow an IR return path.
This option still allows the CAT5/6 cables to be used for conventional IP traffic.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom