sky HD distribution over cat5

pauld476

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a customer who wants to distribute 2 HD boxes and a Blu-ray over 6 TV's , I have installed 2 cat6 cables to each point with a hdmi plate with a magic eye at each,
The cost of trying to get 3 inputs and 6 outputs is in the 5k region is there a cheaper way?

I have told him that we can use a 4x2 and then split the to 4tv's and 2 TV's

Anyone have any other cheaper solutions???

Not sure where you get 5K from
Wyrestorm 6x6 matrix is £2600
then 6 x 70m baluns £1008
Where in the uk are you?

Hi Paul, yes you can do it much cheaper than 5k! It really depends how your customer wants to use his kit. I take it he'll want to be able to view sky in one room whilst someone else is watching another source in a different room? Are the sky boxes dedicated to seperate rooms or does he want to be able to view either sky box in any room? If it's the latter then you'll also need a system to distribute the IR, otherwise the sky boxes will operate at the same time. There are a few ways of doing this depending how much you want to spend, but we do a 8x8 matrix switch with cat6 outputs which would work out at around £2k with cat6 receivers:
8X8 HDMI V1.4 MATRIX SWITCH WITH CAT6 + HDMI OUT : ORHD88HC

Alternatively you could go for a 4x4 matrix (for around £300) then a splitter for the other 2 TV's (around £35), and a seperate HDMI over cat6 system to each TV. (around £50 for each TV run). Obviously this would mean on the extra 2 TV's he would be watching what ever is on the output that was split, so 3 of the TV's would be showing the same picture at any time.
An IR system to control the sky boxes independantly would be around £100:
KEENE EYE ROUTING COMMANDER IR ROUTER : KERC

Hope that helps,

.... or you could use our new HDJuiceBox Ethernet product

This is totally flexible so would allow 3 sources and 6 TVS and also had IR passthru from sources to transmitter s for IR control.

3 x 6 System would be around £1500.

HDJuiceBox - HDTV over Ethernet : JUST HDMI

As this is a brand new product we are looking for some reference sites so I am sure we could come to some deal for you.

Another way is to use use two 4x4 HDMI over Dual Cat5/6 Matrixes and 4 x 2 way splitters, cost around £1200.00.

This way you would still get all 6 TVS being able to watch any source in any combination and also still get the IR routing.

With saying all of the above the best way would still be a 4x8 (8x8) HDBaseT matrix as this will fit all your needs, and future proof your customer. In a neat package.

So many ways of doing this but should be well under 5K.

We have produced a guide for distributing HDMI around a house.

HDMI Distribution Guide : JUST HDMI

What is the application?

Your budget could (as seen above) be anywhere from sub £2k and upwards depending on what you are looking to achieve.

Joe

Thanks for the replies and we have looked at all the solutions, but we need a solution that uses a HDMI plate outlet as we have no room behind the TV's to put any receiver's or baluns.
So I could do with any solution.

‘we have no room behind the TV's to put any receiver's or baluns.’ – so where are your HDMI cables going, the non-flexible hood of most HDMI cables is deeper than the 22mm of our dual CAT PoC (Power over Cable) Receiver unit.

You can have a dual CAT 4x8 Matrix kit for £2.4k - Media Factory - Octava HDMX48CAT-UK, HD48CATMX-UK, 4x8 HDMI CAT6 Matrix switch

Give me a call tomorrow and I’m sure we can work out how to integrate our system with your installation.

Joe

re. dual CAT PoC (Power over Cable) Receiver unit
Joe, I've heard you mention this item before and don't quite get how it discreetly fit's into things.
I presume it has a HDMI socket.
Do you have a link to it or pictures?

To clarify are you seeking a Wallplate based HDMI over Cat5/6 receiver ?

I often write about how baluns are hard work to physically shoe horn in around TV's and clients do not expect to see hardware behind in the form of metal boxes when viewing their new TV installation from the side.
It is not a problem for me because we always inset the mount out of site behind the TV in a custom housing which
has room for a hard drive, router, baluns etc. anyway.
I personally avoid HDMI over CAT5/6 solutions as much as possible but come across rescue jobs for new clients where there is no other option without a major refit.

Recently a few AVF members have stated they have no room for baluns as a solution for their particular problem
and Joe has talked in this thread and others about a physically small balun (22mm thick) he supplies.

I asked for a picture of it and more details to determine the other dimensions, I/O port exit points etc to see if
it is possible to use it for a particular application I have.

Last edited:
Cyp do the PU-?73 balun kit, which is HDBaseT and only 20mm thick. It does however require a power supply, which could be via USB (if on!) or a CATx POE splitter.

Interested in this. Where would the baluns fit. Would this work over the lexcom system?

Thanks

Seems to be a lot of old threads popping up over the past couple of days - this one is from 2013.

Prob better to start a new Thread.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom