1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ HD disk upgrade

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by toby_smith, Jan 31, 2005.

1. toby_smith

toby_smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Before you all tell me to go to the Sky forum, this is just a cross-post to confirm just how easy it is to upgrade your Sky+ hard disk to get more capacity.

I was really pleased with Sky+, but just getting fed up with having to juggle recorded movies to allow enough space for normal recordings as well. I looked into archiving off to recordable DVD, but was put off since the movies I tend to record are 5:1 DD movies, and you cannot record 5:1 DD to DVD at present.... :nono:

So...I've opted to do a Sky+ hard disk upgrade. Having researched posts about potential problems with overheating, noise etc. I bought the same disk as used in the Sky+160 system, the MAXTOR 160GB 5400RPM 2MB ATA133 D-MAX16 4R160L0, Cost = £61.94, inc. delivery - ordered Friday 2pm from Techoworld.com with 2-3 day working day delivery, and had guy knocking on my door before 9am Monday morning!

Excellent instructions on what to do from here. NB. I didn't need any special tools - just a philips screwdriver. Anyway, time elapsed to open, change and close the case was < 10 mins. Time for Sky to perform housekeeping ~40 mins, all done in less than 1 hour.

Now I've got 4x the capacity I had before, for a smidgen of the cost of the SKY+160 box, and it should be some time before I fill up this drive!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2. saintalan

saintalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Toby, I agree somewhat and would not be without my Pace v2 250gb upgrade having lived thru the trauma of a v1 120gb box.

However I would, not so much offer a word of caution but, thoroughly recommend anybody doing this to read the appropriate forums and beware of the possible problems.

As I said I would not be without mine and would do it again BUT...

Cheers

Alan