Sky HD & Denon AVR 2805 Sound Issue

chrisw

I've recently had Sky HD installed and am routing both the video and audio through my Denon AVR 2805, using component and optical connections respectively. I have a lip synching problem with all of the HD channels and often with recordings done on the box - the audio is up to half a second behind the video on my plasma.

The problem goes away if I use the normal stereo out phono connections on the Sky box into the amp. I've no idea what's causing this problem and have spent ages messing with various settings, but to no avail - has anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it?

Ultra2man

In the Sky set up menu go to the audio set up and there you will find a setting to adjust the audio delay on the digital optical connection.
It is adjustable in increments of 20ms up to about 240ms if I remember correctly.
Mine is currently set to 60ms.

Ultra2man

That is unusual. Usually it is the other way round.
It takes a lot more time to process the video signal as there is so much more info to process when compared to sound which is why there is an adjustment to delay the audio but not one for video.
Have you checked that there is no master audio delay switched on in the amp settings?

chrisw

I've checked every setting imaginable - played around with the delay times etc and even reset the amp back to it's factory settings, but it's still not playing ball... maybe I'll just stick with stereo connections for now...

Ultra2man

How about resetting the HD box.
Try a planner rebuild. Select services then 701 which brings up the installer menu. Here you should find an option to do the planner rebuild. I have heard doing this can get rid of some strange faults.
The other option is to do a forced software download. Power off the Sky box from the mains, then whilst holding down the backup button on the box power it up again. Keep the backup button pressed until all the lights on the box come on then release it. The box will take approx 10mins to do a forced software download.
Other than that I'm out of suggestions at the moment.

Ultra2man

Sorry gave you the wrong info for the installer menu.
Should be,
Services 401 then select option 1 which will bring up the installer menu. There you will find the planner rebuild option.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom