Sky HD demos in London 4-6 November

StooMonster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Best Of Stuff Show is running in Novotel West Longon this week and has demos of Sky HD ... according to the email from Sky Digital.

Anyone going along?

StooMonster

I'm going, but the cynical barsteward in me has my spidey sense tingling.

where you'll be able to see our stunning SkyHD box

Note see the box, not it working

and also witness just how amazing the HD experience is

the HD experience. Not skyHD.

I'm still going , but I'm prepared for a PC based showreel along the lines of what they have in Comet. The only part that had me thinking 'hmm' was

the best of stuff show is a great opportunity to be the first to experience our SkyHD showreel

which wouldn't be first if it was already in Comet, but it might just be a new version. Lets hope they have Battlestar Galactica with slightly less noise in the space scenes this time!

See if you can get a shot of the back to see what connections it has. Better still a photo would be nice

cheers

Was wondering if I could fit a visit in my diary. But richard plumb's spidey sense rings true to me too, which makes me think it won't be worth a trip across town for me.

However, anyone going ... can you please take pictures, even with mobile phone?

StooMonster

Whoop De Doo!

Good old Sky keeping us up to date.

A Stand. At a Show. That you have to pay in to. Showing a demo reel. And a box. Wow.

You think these clowns could do better - perhaps not...

I still have the day booked off as it was originally going to be a 'look at LCD' day. But now I've chosen I'll see what (if anything) sky have to offer. I'll take my camera just in case.

I booked my ticket some weeks ago and will be aiming to be there for 9:00. so I can get to the front of the queue to talk to the Sky HD Team. They are apparently looking forward to meeting us all. If I can borrow a digital camera, and they'll let me take them, I'll try and get some shots of the back of the box and post them on here.

I would imagine that we won't see is a demo of live HD TV pictures but what is more likely is a demo recorded onto, and playing from, the hard drive in the Sky HD box. Let's wait and see.

Tim

i'll be there friday,saturday and sunday, since im working there. they claim there will be some amazing offers on plasmas, im hoping to get the Pioneer 436XDE on offer, if it happens.

Looked on the show web site. Seems to be a very low key affair compared with say Bristol - very few serious players of interest to me - notible absentees appear to be Loewe and Meridian.

It's a great show; went to the 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 shows. I would agree it has got increasingly low key as I remember the one in 2001 was in a large hall at the Birmingham NEC and had an enormous stand from Microsoft showcasing Windows XP. The 2003 one was the poorest being joint hosted in a rather cramped hotel and a small hall.

However, I do like the new venue at the Novotel London West where it was last year and this year. It has a great 'laid-back' atmosphere that makes you feel more comfortable taking your time to look around and ask questions whereas in a large hall you simply wouldn't get that. If last year's show is anything to go by, it doesn't take that long to see it all but this year there should be a lot more what with Sky HD and Xbox 360 being there.

Personally, I'm very much looking forward to Saturday; I'm coming all the way from Hull just to see it!

what freuqncy will be transmision demo testing skyhdtv on astra ?

Well the show has now been open for 19 mins so far. So what's the details on the SkyHD box and demo?

Details....details...pic...pics...please?

Well I attended the stuff show today at novotel, hammersmith and was very dissapointed with the sky people. First and foremost they were very economical with information as regards to launch date,hard disk size and every other question you basically asked. The Sky HD digibox is built in a wall unit and you cannot see the rear panel as the unit is sealed at the back!!!

All they were intersted in is getting you to register for SKY HD services. That was the main reason i went and was pretty dissapointed!!

One amusing thing though is that the SKY reps were all dressed in white from head to toe,both men and women. Not to mention their stand was all covered in white, walls,celling,floor,doors etc. It was very futuristic not to mention puzzling!!
Sky has nothing new to tell us about their upcoming HD service!!

On the brighter side Sony demo of Blue ray was absolutely stunning. Pictutes,Audio was purely first class.

Toshiba was another sad story, no hd-dvd demo and all they would say we should expect Hd-DVD 'some time next year', that was by their Marketing Manager, but i did not get his name.

Seems like the blue ray guys have really gotten their act together and might end up winning the 'battle' and the 'war'.

bloody typical of sky how f*****g pathetic

I agree pretty pathetic. I was particulary not amused when i found the digibox stuffed in acustom built drawer that was not accesible. Everyone was putting their kit on display,but not the Sky HD digibox. The reps were not commital on a february 06 launch,they said the first half 2006!!!

Went today, what a dissapointment sky was, to be honest a joke, I feel conned but should have known better.

The screens were run from a pc, might just as well gone to comet :mad:

No detail, no nothing :( Still look forward to it though and whilst I am angry with sky, I, like everybody else will want to be the first in the queue :rolleyes:

I went.

The Sky demo's were pap. The Sony screens were mediocre though the footage was decent. I still think the euro1080 stuff looks nicer but thats just my opinion. I saw the Sony Blu-Ray presentation, was nice (sound was horrible due to the stupid conference room that they held it in) but a totally pointless exercise as it was shown on a 100+ inch screen with a £7000+ projector. Not really indicative of the average users setup within the blu-ray timeframe, but it still looked nice ^_^

Wow... and I thought this post was about the Sky HD demo...

Shows how good the demo must have been when idle banter takes center stage.

ianh64 said:
Wow... and I thought this post was about the Sky HD demo...

It is now that I've deleted all the childish remarks & insults.

OK guys, enough with the slanging match :lesson: . Back on topic.....SkyHD :lesson: .

:smoke:

The demo was pretty worthless, but the stand was fairly amazing: the way in was along a narrow circular closed-in corridor completely clad in white (fake, presumably) fur which got tighter and tighter as you approached the centre: a bit like walking into someone's inner ear (only bigger and whiter and furrier). After that it was all downhill.

The most impressive demo I caught was the What HiFi "This is HighDef" presentation. This was in a decently blacked-out enclosure and used the Sim 2 C3X three-chip DLP projector. I didn't ask the price, but it's obviously one of those "when I win the lottery" bits of gear. Very nice.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

markwpage said:
It's a great show; went to the 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 shows. I would agree it has got increasingly low key as I remember the one in 2001 was in a large hall at the Birmingham NEC and had an enormous stand from Microsoft showcasing Windows XP. The 2003 one was the poorest being joint hosted in a rather cramped hotel and a small hall.

Well, I went to the 1993 (at Olympia, the very first show way back when it was called Live), 1994 (moved to Earls Court), 1995 (EC again), 1996 (EC), 1997 (EC), 1998 (EC), 2000 (EC, no show in 1999), 2001 (Birmingham NEC), 2002 (moved back to Earls Court), 2003 (renamed Stuff Live moved to Olympia, 1st What Hi-Fi show held at nearby Hilton Hotel), 2004 (renamed What Hi-Fi Show/Best of Stuff shows, moved to Novotel Hammersmith) AND 2005 (Novotel Hammersmith) shows so there! :D

I actually liked the 2003 one and found the Brum one rather small and short of things to do and see.

I also went to the one-time only 'Central Connect' consumer electronics show held alongside the Motor and Ideal Home shows at the Birmingham NEC in 1996 I believe.

I went on Friday and was able to speak to the Marketing manager for HD who did let slip one or two things we didn't already know...

1) Only Artsworld and Sky One will be simulcast channels. Movies HD and Sports HD will be channels in their own right, ppresumably showing a mix of what's on the SD Movies and Sports channels.

2) It looks like HD subscription will only be available as a top up to the full £42.50 Sky World (which is no great surprise really but I'm sure will disappoint one or teo people!).

Otherwise pretty much everything was towing the party line.

Interestingly, she couldn't answer one of my questions at all which was whether it would be possible to have more than one HD box and, if so, whether additionals would be charged in the same way as current Extra subscriptions. Apparently, I was the first person to ask her this and she'd been giving presentations on HD for 3 months!

Tim

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom