sky hd demo at home show

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ijd, Mar 24, 2006.

1. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Went to the ideal home show yesterday and saw the hd demo, it was good but not good enough for me to cough the £299 for the box and the extra £10 per month subscription, and to be honest,did not think the picture on the 42 bravia was any better than the picture on my 32 aquos,ok i know the picture is bigger and therefore stretched,but my screen is the right size for me....
    i will not be upgrading at least until after i change my panel,when the price will reduce and the content will be improved.
    I think after all the hype it was an anti climax,as far as the best thing since colour/black and white revolution "dream on"

2. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Was it an actual SKY HD Demo and what we can expect at home or just some previously recorded rubbish that everybody seems to have seen and not been impressed with ??

3. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Good point, it was just a loop playing over and over,only one of the bravia screens (of 3) was actually showing a moving pictures, the other two just showing a picture of the sky HD still picture, You would of thought they may of been showing some of the sky programmes that are already being broadcast.
    The screen manufacturers were all showing HD content from other sattelites, particullarly the...Channel HD1

4. steve10574

steve10574

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

sure you was not looking at the screens out side the stand

i thought it was stunning and well worth extra £10 a month

5. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    the one inside, between the two others, very white tunnel, and you sit opposite on top of the subwoofer,it was ok,but not stunning or out of this world as all the hype suggested,like it it not a revolution like colour to black and white, and i dont think comparable to quality improvement from video to dvd, it certainly did not have me thinking "I MUST HAVE ONE" i am happy with what i have got and dont think the costs involved are worth the improvement....if there was any:eek:

6. SagaLout

SagaLout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'm of the same opinion. I watch a fair amount of HD material - mostly movies and US TV shows, and at first there is definitley a novelty value, but its faded for me now, to the point where I'm happy enough with an upscaled DVD picture. Some of the HD demos can look breathtaking, but they are purposely designed to look like that - lots of macro shots, giving the impression you are seeing more detail that you are, or classic vivd colours such as hot air balloons over mountain ranges and lakes etc. Truth is 'normal' programming isnt anywhere near as dramatic.

I too am passing on being an early adopter of Sky - I can get more HD movies and TV through newsgroups than sky are offerring so it would only be for the Premiership - and £50+ a month for football just aint worth it to me personally (I dont currently have a premium sky sub, just sky+ pvr)