Sky HD...DD and coax output

marky2027

Been using optical out on Sky HD box connected to Sony HT with TOSlink cable for months now. I've just ordered an Apple airport express so to free up the optical in on my HT I have just switched to coax between my Sky and HT.
When using optical the following happened.
Watching a programme in HD with DD.......DD displayed on Sony display
Watching any other programme.........PLII displayed (I have it set to this)

However when I have used the digital coax for some reason both DD and PLII are displayed together for some programmes. I have never had both display at the same time. I watched Britain's Toughest Cops and I know that is in DD and it correctly detected this and displayed DD. However I watched deal or no deal which usually comes up PLII but I got PLIIDD all together. Whats that all about??

marky2027

I did think that too but still never had both on at the same time. Thinking logically though it must be just DD2.1 as the PLII must be distributing sound to the surrounds. U r probably right

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
That is how most receivers handle DD less than the full number of channels. I'm guessing the settings for the coaxial input are different to the optical for some reason if you haven't seen this before.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom