Sky HD connections and output resolution?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by interbear, Apr 17, 2007.

1. interbear

interbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Just had Sky HD installed, would appreciate advice from you experienced users. The box is connected to a new Panasonic PX70 plasma. Two queries :-

1) The engineers connected it to the TV with both HDMI and Scart/RGB cables. Why both? I looked at the picture quality and it's better via HDMI, so why is the Scart connection required also?

2) Should I set output resolution on the Sky HD box to Automatic or 1080i? Initial impressions are that auto works best for standard def channels.

Any input/advice appreciated.

2. xilog

xilog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The scart is completely redundant; you can pull it out.

Auto/720/1080 is a matter of choice. Personally I prefer Auto as it minimises the number of scaling operations in the chain. Setting it to 720 or 1080 means that the box will scale SD to the selected resolution and then your panel will do another scaling operation to fit it to the 1366x768 native panel resolution. Leaving it on Auto means that SD remains at 576 until it reaches the panel and only then is scaled.

3. JimmyT

JimmyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The engineer didnt need to connect both cables. Really he should only have connected the HDMI as thats the one capable of carrying the HD signal. Some people have mentioned that they have found that SD over Scart is better that over hdmi but i guess that depends on the tv. I use hdmi only with my box set to 1080i.

With my tv (and others) setting the box to auto causes the screen to flicker when it moves between HD and SD channels, but again some have mentioned that they prefer to watch SD on 576p rather than upscaled to 720p or 1080i so in that case you would set it to auto. No harm in trying auto and 1080i for a few days and see what suits you best. If you prefer the 576p for SD and dont mind the flickering between SD and HD then auto could be the one for you. Otherwise choose 1080i.

4. interbear

interbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Thanks both,

I asked the engineer why he put in the scart and HDMI cable ....."need both to get the better HD picture" he said :rolleyes: .....I thought that sounded daft but being new to all of this let him carry on.

An issue has arisen though - on HDMI input the screen just went completely blank/green. Switched to the scart, no problem. Very strange. Had to switch the HD box off at the mains and restart to get the HDMI picture sorted. Any advice on this one, have any of you had a similar problem?

Shouldn't be a TV issue - new Panasonic PX70 is able to accept 1080i and everything else the HD box can do on HDMI.

5. JimmyT

JimmyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not sure on that one. Maybe check that the engineer had updated the software on the box as sometimes they miss this off. Not sure what the latest version is. There is a link to it on the Sticky but im not sure if thats uptodate or not

6. xilog

xilog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Unfortunately I get this with both my Panasonic projector and Samsung plasma. Sky are adamant that it's not a Sky problem but I've read too many tales of HDMI/HDCP compatibility problems to be convinced. If you connect a component lead and an audio lead instead of the HDMI one then the problem will go away.

7. interbear

interbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Thanks for the advice - I had assumed that HDMI delivered the best quality picture/audio. Will I get a slightly worse picture using component?

8. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    You might lose some quality
    You might not beable to even tell the difference
    You might even get a better picture with component as some TV's over HDMI seem to apply to much smoothing to the HDMI input and can't be user altered.

I.e. there is no right or wrong answer to your question (both carry up HD video signals with component having done so for a lot longer than HDMI) and every end user's perception of what looks good to them varies ;)