Sky HD & Component Video

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Calply, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Calply

Calply
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hope that some one can help as I am getting some very conflicting information from different retailers, I have a Panasonic TH42 PE30 non HD but has component video I think the resolution is 856 x 480.

My question is I have a Sky HD box being delivered, I would like to upgrade the TV to a Panasonic PZ range but that will have to wait, but if I use the component sockets on the HD box will I see a better image on HD broadcasts, and a normal SD Image on Sd broadcasts?

2. ralphmalph

ralphmalph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    You will.

3. mikel543

mikel543
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    To expand on what Ralph has said you will get a better picture with component video over RGB SCART because it is a better quality signal.

However you will not be able to view material in 720p or 1080i format because the resolution of your TV is only 480 lines which equates to NTSC standard def.

I wonder if any of the techies out there can say what this TV will do with a 576p/i signal as the native resolution is only 480 lines. Presumable it will have to do some upscaling or cropping of some sorts.

4. Calply

Calply
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks ralph, would you expect enough difference to defer a new TV, The New Panasonics are over £2000,mind you this was more than that 3 years ago!

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,517
    Hello Calpy

You have an 852x480 Progressive pixel array in your Display.

If you set the SKY HD box to Auto it will Output a 720x576 pixel Progressive signal for SD channels and a 1920x1080 pixel Interlaced signal for HD Channels/Programmes.

Both will look good on your Display with a noticeable difference between SD and HD on the best HD broadcasts - your Display is always 'throwing away' resolution but the video processing engine in your Display is pretty good at that process.

If you go for a Full HD resolution (1920x1080) Display you may end up with an inferior SD image and a slightly better HD Image as the higher resolution Display has a much harder job to convert 720x576p to fill a 1920x1080 pixel array.

Joe

6. Calply

Calply
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Joe, that explains a lot, will def try with this TV before I part with a load of cash upgrading to something that may not give me a substantionally better picture, it seems whatever retailer you go to you get a completly different answer, thanks again.

7. Calply

Calply
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have had the Sky HD box fitted, and HD programmes are noticeably better, SD is also sharper, some HD channels seem sharper than others, the BBC test channel seems very good.

What I have noticed though is the engineer left the picture output on 1080, from this setting the channels change over fine, but if I put it on auto, and change channels I get about 2 seconds of grey screen with lots of different color lines before it changes over, not sure what that is so have left on 1080 output.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,517
    Hello Calpy

If you leave the SKY HD box on 1080i then the SKY box is Scaling the SD (720x576) channels to 1920x1080 and your Display is then down converting the signal to 852x480 and converting the Interlaced signal to Progressive.

Some will argue that this double processing is not ideal and better to set the SKY box to Auto (outputting 720x576 progressive for SD) and then only one conversion stage is required in the Display.

The reason for the 'glitch' when set to Auto is your Display is having to reacquire a new signal if you happen to hop from an SD channel (576p) to and HD channel (1080i) - some Displays are more prone to this than others.

As always try out all the options until you find the one that works/looks best for you.

Joe

9. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had SkyHD installed this morning and have it connected via component to my 42" SD plasma, a Panasonic PWD6, while I wait for my 50" Fujitsu panel to arrive. I have found the SD picture to be very dissapponting and that's on all settings of the Sky box, Auto, 720p and 1080i. The picture is very soft and I find the picture from my cable box via TiVo via an RGB to VGA converter is very much sharper and clearer. HD output looks superb.

I am routing the component to my screen via a Denon 3805 amp which should be just passing the signal straight through with no processing and the Sky box is connected via a cheap component cable. Would this be enough to degrade the picture so noticeably?

When I get my 50" screen, I'll be connecting via HDMI but I'm worried about the SD quality. Component should be very similar in quality to HDMI.

I'm going to see if I can try the scart output of the Sky box into my RGB to VGA converter. If the Sky box is any good, I should get a better picture than from my cable box via TiVo. TiVo is taking the analogue cable image, encoding it, recording it and then decoding it to display it. So it should be worse than the Sky box which is just recording the input signal directly.

Teresa

10. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've just unplugged the scart from my TiVo and plugged it into my Sky HD box and the Sky picture is still worse than my TiVo.

The Sky box should not have a worse picture than my TiVo using exactly the same cables. I've tried the different contrast settings on the Sky box with no improvement. Are there any other settings to try or is my box faulty? :(