Sky HD (Component out) packed up - help

DJBlade

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need to re-visit this as I re-subscribed to sky and support for my Thomson box has indeed expired .....
Basically, from the 1 HDMI output on the new box I need both HDMI (To Projector) and Componant (To Plasma Panal) outputs, so think I need a HDMI splitter & HDMI to Componant converter .....
Any recommendations ? I've checked out Neils ebay converter link and may go for this ..
Hi, I've one of the earlier skyhd box's with component out that's just died on me ..
Any ideas who can fix this for me ? (I need component out)
Just wont power up, can hear the hd spinning up then it clicks, stops for a while then spins up again .. is it possible to just replace it ?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Not worth fixing if you have a subscription, they won't be supported for HD come the next card update...

Not worth fixing if you have a subscription, they won't be supported for HD come the next card update...
I don't have a subscription - I only use the box as a freesat box, my plasma panal does not have a tuner and even if it did im in a blind spot, I must use a freesat box, hence the need for a fix .. ive 2 other spare sky box's but neither have component out ..

I don't have a subscription - I only use the box as a freesat box, my plasma panal does not have a tuner and even if it did im in a blind spot, I must use a freesat box, hence the need for a fix .. ive 2 other spare sky box's but neither have component out ..
Probably cheaper and easier to buy a HDMI to Component converter and use one of the spare boxes.

Can be had from the likes of Keene.co.uk and Lektropacks.co.uk from around £35 upwards I think.

Probably cheaper and easier to buy a HDMI to Component converter and use one of the spare boxes.

Can be had from the likes of Keene.co.uk and Lektropacks.co.uk from around £35 upwards I think.

You may hit HDCP issues with this though. Any device which can produce an HD component output from an HDMI output with protected content is not allowed under HDMI licence rules.

If the TV has a VGA input then how about a HD Fury to convert HDMI to VGA?

I have a sony plasma with component out only. I had the same problem. I use an hd fury converter. No problems using any sky boxes or ps4.

I should have said HD fury2

Yep, HD Fury is the way to go.

I've used a HD Fury II connected to a VGA to Component cable no problems with a Sky box.

Is HDCP applicable on Freesat channels?
Yes although they are FTA it does not mean that the content has been placed in the public domain and copyright (and its protection) still exists.

Think i'd prefer to sort my SkyHD box for the time being .......

Does it sound like the HDD is dead ?

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks guys .. Bought a replacement off gumtree for £20.00 .. Plus another unit off eBay .. Back up and running ....

Hi, I need to re-visit this as I re-subscribed to sky and support for my Thomson box has indeed expired .....

Basically, from the 1 HDMI output on the new box I need both HDMI (To Projector) and Componant (To Plasma Panal) outputs, so think I need a HDMI splitter & HDMI to Componant converter .....

Any recommendations ? I've checked out Neils ebay converter link and may go for this ..

Hi, I've one of the earlier skyhd box's with component out that's just died on me ..

Any ideas who can fix this for me ? (I need component out)

Just wont power up, can hear the hd spinning up then it clicks, stops for a while then spins up again .. is it possible to just replace it ?

Thanks.

Please see 1st post to see updated requirements/help

Thanks in advance . . .

You simply need a new free Sky machine from Sky.

I have a spanking new machine ...

With 1 Hdmi output ....

But have 2 displays, 1 with Hdmi .. The other component ....

I've never really had good experience with cheap converters from ebay. I think you get what you pay for.

It's a bit expensive but the 3dfury will do what you want. Output HDMI and VGA/Component simultaneously.

3DFury Basic Kit : HDFury.com

Ah, got you - so the new machines don't have component?
That's a step backwards, and rather than the hassle I think I'd have asked for an older machine.

The only sky box to have component was the first HD box which was the Thomson. Sky won't supply a box from about 2006.

They certainly won't now as Thomson HD boxes are officially not supported. If you have one you won't be able to view encrypted HD channels with it now. All customers who use one will receive a free replacement from Sky, the vast majority did a year ago.

Ah, got you - so the new machines don't have component?
That's a step backwards, and rather than the hassle I think I'd have asked for an older machine.

I, (and I suspect, all other regular habituees of this forum), cannot believe you asked that!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom