Sky HD, Communal Dish and SD channels not working. Confused? You will be...

Skinto McGinto

Standard Member
Reaction score
...because the installer certainly was!

Sky HD installed today, and I'm very impressed with the HD quality so far...apart from BBC HD.

In fact, quite a lot of the SD channels I used to be able to get on the OLD Pace Sky box (not +) are now blocking like mad. This includes BBC1,2, STV, C4 etc. C4HD works, though, although not too sure if that's a good thing!

Now the installer even said this was a bit strange.

The facts - I have 1 feed from a communal dish. The new box is one of the new Pace ones. The installer checked the Signal Strength (minimum 75% of the bar) and Signal Quality (around 85-90% of the bar) on both boxes, and checked the feed using his meter - both boxes and meter gave the readings as stated.

The installer also advised me that some channels (Zone Movie channels, Chart Show TV) are affected by wireless. Strange thing is, though, that these channels work BETTER on the HD box than they did the old standard Sky box. There are also low bitrate channels that seem to work better - Nuts TV works, for god's sake, as do quite a few of the African channels. Not that I watch any of them.

NONE of the Sky channels are affected by this, and only BBC HD is blocking.

What are my options?

Do I get the Factor to check on the alignment of the communal dish and the equipment itself?

Do I check the aerial box (where all my feeds from the communal aerial and dish come in) for a loose wire?

Or is the box itself gubbed?

The installer has provided me with his number so that the box can be replaced, but I'd rather rule everything else out first before getting the box replaced. If it turns out duff again....

Over to you, if you can help!!

Sky HD boxes have 2 inputs from the dish and you say you only have 1 feed. Have you tried swapping the cable from the dish to the other input to see if it makes any difference?

It could be a dodgy tuner and if so it should work OK on the other input.

Either way, I'd be asking for a new box.

Sky HD boxes have 2 inputs from the dish and you say you only have 1 feed. Have you tried swapping the cable from the dish to the other input to see if it makes any difference?

It could also be a dodgy signal from one of the lines - swapping around will prove which it is. There's no point in getting a new box if it's the installation.

would have thought it would have been easier if the installer got another box out of his van and checked that one too. give him a call it might take a while to get someone out to check your communial system. seems the easiest option to me.

It could also be a dodgy signal from one of the lines - swapping around will prove which it is. There's no point in getting a new box if it's the installation.

The Original Poster says he only has 1 feed from the dish so the only thing the installer has done is swapped out the old SD box for a HD one. He hasn't touched the feed from the dish so it must be the box surely?

Tried that - no joy, unfortunately...but want to ensure that it'll not happen if I do get a new box.

would have thought it would have been easier if the installer got another box out of his van and checked that one too. give him a call it might take a while to get someone out to check your communial system. seems the easiest option to me.

I had got the last HD box in the van...the installer wanted to try that as well.

Could the junction box be the issue? Or is there a way to boost the signal without getting someone out to the Communal installation?

Bobcar,

It's the same line that was already there. Have even tried 3 new cables from the signal junction box in the wall, no joy.

The Communal system is due to be upgraded, but as our factor is a bit of a choob (to say the least), it's taking a while...!

Another strange thing - the Red Button services behind BBC1 (SD) work perfectly??? Thought these would have the same problems as the main channel??

Getting a new box won't cost you anything as you're entitled to a working system as you've paid for the installation. It's not uncommon for 'new' Sky boxes to be dead on arrival.

As you're stuck with it for the moment you could try messing with some settings - you've nothing to lose.

A blocking picture can be caused by hard disk problems - even when not playing a recording. Try formatting it. It's in the Services hidden menu. Services, 4, 01, select. It's called something like Full System Reset.

Also you could try switching off the instant rewind in the main services menu (not the hidden one).

You can also try updating the software on the box. Turn the box off at the wall, hold in the Backup botton on the front of the box and switch it back on at the wall. Hold the button until the front lights start doing funny things. I haven't done this for a long time so can't remember what they do exactly.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Getting a new box won't cost you anything as you're entitled to a working system as you've paid for the installation. It's not uncommon for 'new' Sky boxes to be dead on arrival.

As you're stuck with it for the moment you could try messing with some settings - you've nothing to lose.

A blocking picture can be caused by hard disk problems - even when not playing a recording. Try formatting it. It's in the Services hidden menu. Services, 4, 01, select. It's called something like Full System Reset.

Also you could try switching off the instant rewind in the main services menu (not the hidden one).

You can also try updating the software on the box. Turn the box off at the wall, hold in the Backup botton on the front of the box and switch it back on at the wall. Hold the button until the front lights start doing funny things. I haven't done this for a long time so can't remember what they do exactly.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Cheers - doubt I'll have any luck as the installer tried all of this, but you never know!

Another strange thing - the Red Button services behind BBC1 (SD) work perfectly??? Thought these would have the same problems as the main channel??

No, BBC 1 SD uses a different satellite transponder. You are having trouble with the transponder carrying BBC HD , BBC 1 East (W) & BBC 1 CI. As you appear to have no difficulties with any other channels, it is possible you have a faulty tuner. As the box was installed today, I assume the software was updated, otherwise you'd be getting nothing. Try resetting the box, as described above.

No, BBC 1 SD uses a different satellite transponder. You are having trouble with the transponder carrying BBC HD , BBC 1 East (W) & BBC 1 CI. As you appear to have no difficulties with any other channels, it is possible you have a faulty tuner. As the box was installed today, I assume the software was updated, otherwise you'd be getting nothing. Try resetting the box, as described above.
kenedin,

Hadn't got around to responding on DS - apologies!

Other SD channels are affected as well - all free-to air ones and some of the subscription ones. Signal levels are equal with the old SD box (both around 80-95% full in the signal menu), but the SD box can pick these up no problem.

The installer did say that it was strange that the BBC/ITV etc channels were affected, especially as the signal/quality checked out on the meter as well...

kenedin,

Hadn't got around to responding on DS - apologies!

Other SD channels are affected as well - all free-to air ones and some of the subscription ones. Signal levels are equal with the old SD box (both around 80-95% full in the signal menu), but the SD box can pick these up no problem.

The installer did say that it was strange that the BBC/ITV etc channels were affected, especially as the signal/quality checked out on the meter as well...

I think you have a dicky box. Btw, the signal menu only gives you the lowdown on the default transponder, not all the others that carry programmes. You mention an ordinary Sky box. All OK there? If so, best get onto Sky.

Box has been reset - no joy.

Noted that the power cable is the one from the original Sky box - couldn't be something as silly as that, could it? Especially as I'm getting near perfect reception of HD?

ETA - the ordinary Sky box still works (apart from the problems it had with Zone Horror - no great loss there then...)

Last edited:
Nah. Won't be the power cable.

If you've tried everything suggested by everyone then the box is deffo bust and if the installer is any good he'll know that too.

Make sure you get him around to change it for a new one which works - for free of course.

Set your box to record one of the channels that are playing up, and then look at the signal strength in the menu. As you only have one feed, you'll only need to set one channel recording.
The signal strength meters will then show the levels of the transponder carrying the channel you are recording.

The only way of knowing for sure if it's the box or not, is to try it out on a friend's system that works OK. Just do a straight box swap ( with the card in ) and see what you get. It's a new Pace? I assume it came in its shiny packaging with the various bits 'n pieces inside obviously unused? I wouldn't like to think you had been landed with somebody else's problem box. If it's a proper Sky Installation, get on to them if the 'swap' doesn't work.

The only way of knowing for sure if it's the box or not, is to try it out on a friend's system that works OK. Just do a straight box swap ( with the card in ) and see what you get. It's a new Pace? I assume it came in its shiny packaging with the various bits 'n pieces inside obviously unused? I wouldn't like to think you had been landed with somebody else's problem box. If it's a proper Sky Installation, get on to them if the 'swap' doesn't work.

It was a brand new box with all the shiny gubbins. However, based on a wee bit more info, I'm going to get the box replaced first. If this is still an issue, then I'll get onto the factor of the building.

I'll let you know how I get on!!

Rats...

Replacement box brought out by the engineer - same problems. It now looks like it's the Communal Dish system that's the problem, as on top of that, some of the Sky Movies channels have started degrading to an unwatchable format.

On top of that, the same system feeds the Analogue/Freeview signal - the Freeview signal has started to degrade as well!

Got the Factor on the case, as this is now doing my head in...will let you know how I get on...

Rats...

Replacement box brought out by the engineer - same problems. It now looks like it's the Communal Dish system that's the problem, as on top of that, some of the Sky Movies channels have started degrading to an unwatchable format.

On top of that, the same system feeds the Analogue/Freeview signal - the Freeview signal has started to degrade as well!

Got the Factor on the case, as this is now doing my head in...will let you know how I get on...

Factors get good money to maintain property. Now it's time to spend some of it and give the people a decent dish/aerial!!;) Anyone else in the block up for Sky+HD? Maybe try for a second feed?

Right - yet ANOTHER update.

Communal dish engineer visited today. At the Distribution box in the attic of the flats, all is ok signal wise. In fact, at the junction point in my flat, all is ok, signal wise. For all 4 of the multiplexes used by Sky...

...until you view them. The box is fine, the signal strength is fine, and as some channels are perfect, the internal cabling is also fine. So is the distribution box, by the looks of things.

The installer had a new type of meter (one on which they can view channels) and got blocking on a channel that I don't get blocking on (Sky News).

The LNB would have been replaced if anyone in the next block was in as that's where the roof access is.

The installer is stumped...but the LNB should be getting replaced on Monday (or there abouts). This gets weirder and weirder - as some Sky channels (Premiere +1) are now starting to pixellate....

Could be you need a new dish as well as the LNB. You'll see what state everything is in on Monday. The dish will probably be covered in bird........wotsits:D:D

Final update.....

After a few weeks of waiting on our Factors getting their finger oot of their respective behinds, a new LNB was fitted to the communal system.

All works well. Now why did they not just do that the last time they were out???

Ah well!

Cos it means spending the money that YOU are handing over to them for maintenance. After all that nonsense you finally got them to do something. Well done! Enjoy!!:hiya:

I love reading these stories, so many fascinating things can go wrong. All's well that ends well!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom