SKY HD Coming Thursday!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by William YZF-R1, Feb 9, 2009.

1. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Hi,:hiya:

My first time in this part of the Forum, as the title suggests HD arriving on Thursday.

I thought I would take some time to read up on Sky HD as Sky will be totally new to me, it seems that I should try and get a Samsung box.

Spent some time today sorting out the input assignments & a label on the Receiver and finally hooked up an optical cable in readiness.

2. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,928
    Dont be fooled by the samsung box, there seems to be a few failing. The amstrad seems to be the norm. I got one and am not worried, my last amstrad sky box lasted 5 years, and my nanas is over 7 years old. And make sure they update the software over the air. They didnt do this with mine and another forum member so had problems pairing the cards.

3. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Thanks, personally I have a problem with anything made by Amstrad, I am old enough to remember when they made cheap stereos etc.

However, I will try and keep an open mind as Amstrad may be all they have on the van.

4. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,539
    I agree, I cannot find many complaints about the Amstrad systems. I have been scouting all over and it seems that, the following boxes display the following problems.

Thompson - PSU + faulty capacitators
    Samsung - Prone to loosing tuners
    Amstrad - Build quality??

At the moment, I am hoping for an Amstrad although I am sure by Friday (my fitting date) I would have changed my mind again.

5. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,928
    and make sure he does a sytem update. Yeh there seems to be specific problems for each box

6. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Thanks, the whole Sky thing seems a lot to take on board.

Its a shame it needs double coax as I have a fitted sat socket in the wall and the single wire disappears up through the internal walls and reappears in the loft.

Would have been very neat but no amount of gentle pulling initiates any movement. Would have been nice to pull a double through.

Pulled the TV out today and sorted out remainder of the leads. So now the optical,mains and HDMI are all plugged in ready.

If I do get a choice I will ask for a Samsung.

7. newsagent

newsagent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    How long does a system update take and can you do it yourself?

8. charliegirl

charliegirl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just be prepared to be blown away - we had HD just after Xmas and are still amazed by some of the pictures.

Hustle looks amazing as does Lost........shame the last ever series of ER isn't in HD though...seems a waste.

9. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,928
    system update doesnt take that long. and yeh the PQ is stunning, especially for sport,i watched the pro bowl the other night, and WOW

10. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    I've avoided Amstrad kit for years but the Amstrad HD box is a decent piece of kit. I read all the threads about which boxes are better etc.. but havent had a single issue with the Amstrad box.

SD and HD both look good, no lipsynch issues and the box is nice and quiet.

11. tigertim

tigertim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there peeps. Not wishing to hijack the thread...but I have ordered the 49 squid deal, and am told by email that 3 - 6 weeks is expected delivery time.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the Sky+HD box ( I assume they are all pretty much the same ) as I would like to prepare the housing for it - I do know its a bit taller than my Sky+ box I have now. If someone could post the height of the highest box, then that covers me if I get a smaller one IYSWIM .TIA:smashin:

I am expecting delivery today of a new LG 32PG6000 Plasma set, although most if not all of my HD viewing will be via a Sony projector and 8' screen.:D

12. planetse

planetse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128

You got thanks for that post because too many people on the forum are getting wound up over what box they must have from Sky. They all have problems if you read this forum; why? Because nearly all the time people only comment on things that are going wrong and are looking for a fix of solution. This tends to lead to people thinking they must have this or that or they will be doomed to problems.

What a load of tosh. If Sky had a very high fail rate of a product then a recall would be issued or that brand would be taken of the market. You box is under warranty for twelve month minimum, if you have problems (like can be found with any electrical/mechanical item from mobile phone to a new car) they will fix it. Every one stop going on about this and that box get of the forum and enjoy your Sky HD.

Still waiting for my box and could not give a chuff what it is as long as I get my HD viewing as anticipated and advertised.

13. planetse

planetse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Give it as much room as you can. Putting Sky boxes inside TV cabinets and the like without loads of ventilation room round them or sticking them ontop of amplifiers, causes most of the problems folk come across.

Take a look at this half way down for box size.

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/skyhd.html

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  14. bigjohn

bigjohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I found by far the best SKY HD picture using the LG 32PG6000 TV is achieved by setting the sky box to 720p and the LG 32PG6000(1024 X 720) to "just scan" not "16:9"

The LG 32PG6000 is a great TV but the default settings are rubbish.