SKY HD coax conversion to HDMI?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by lordmoonpie, Dec 29, 2011.

1. lordmoonpie

lordmoonpie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen lots of similar threads that almost answer my question but don't 100% give me the confidence to pursue a solution so I thought I'd ask about my specific scenario.

We have SKY+ HD in one room, feed the coax output 2 to the loft where it splits and is sent down to three other rooms all with magic eyes. One of these feeds goes to the basement where I have my AV setup. The problem here is that it goes into the basement over a coaxial cable embedded in the wall. I only have a projector downstairs and an AV receiver, both of which take HDMI inputs but not coaxial.

I looked at getting multiroom but because of SKY's paranoia about being ripped off, the engineer would not install it without adding a phone line which I don't want because of the cabling. There is a route to get a second coax line from the dish to the basement but without a second viewing card I don't think that will help me although I do have a spare Sky+ HD box.

Is there any way of taking the coax cable connection I have in the basement and either converting it or running it through another SKY box or other box to give me an HDMI output to the projector? Although I'd like it to be an HD picture, my main driver is to get Eurosport in the basement so options like a freeview HD box wouldn't give me that I don't believe? I don't need to view different channels from the main Sky box so just want to feed the same picture downstairs.

I'm not massively technical so any suggestions or pointers in simple terminology would be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation....:lease:

2. wysinawyg

wysinawyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Cheap and cheerful is beg borrow or steal an old VCR. That will take the RF 2 and give you an output that you can feed into the AV Receiver (although it might be scart and so you might need something again to convert scart to composite like this: Gold Switchable Scart to 3 x Phono & S-Video Adaptor by: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics).

If you can get a second coax from the sky box to the loft (rather than loft to basement) you could send HDMI over these: http://www.**************.co.uk/buy/hdmi-extender-over-single-coax-kit-up-to-60m-61094 or something similar, but thats pricey.

HDMI can go over HD Juice Box, which is a similar price but doesn't need wires.

Or else a mroe affordable option (but dependent on signal and interference) is a wireless HDMI sender.

3. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    Hi and welcome to AVF.
    On the Freeview idea, that's free and Eurosport is not free, so it wouldn't work.
    HD wireless videosenders are falling in price, so that IS a possibility to consider.
    Logi

4. lordmoonpie

lordmoonpie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response - I like the VCR idea as it's only for me to watch the GP racing on a big screen so that's a cheap option. Presumably I could actually buy a VCR with HDMI output and upscaling too to really help, something like the PANASONIC DMR-EZ49VEBK? I like that solution as it's simple and I wouldn't be too confident of resolving any issues with the HD juice boxes etc....thanks for the advice - I like it :D

5. wysinawyg

wysinawyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I think that may only have a digital tuner in which case it wouldn't work (you need an analogue tuner for Sky) although you can probably get something similar with an analogue tuner.

Even if it does work, upscaling doesn't get away from GIGO (garbage in garbage out) so I'm not sure how much of an improvement it would be for a fair bit of money.

I'd suck it and see with an old VCR if you can first of all.

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    A standard videosender would get you at worst equally bad results, and at best slightly better ones.:)

7. lordmoonpie

lordmoonpie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys - I'll erlocate my old VCR downstairs tomorrow and give it a whirl....got to be worth it when I only want the eurosport stuff down there. Really appreciate the help, thank you! :smashin: