• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

sky hd- broadcasting in DDEX?

u02ai

Established Member
while watching the last screening of Final destination 3 last week I noticed that my onkyo 875 was showing that the audio received was dolby digital ex. I thought that must have been a glitch in my amp. I double checked upstairs on my other setup which uses a sony str5200es and the same thing was showing.

can this be right? I thought sky only broadcast in plain dolby. Anyone else notice this?

Pange

Established Member
The 'EX' is just a flag in the bitstream - the rear center channel is derived from the left and right rear channels, in the same way the center front is derived from left and right in pro logic. This just means Sky are broadcasting the soundtrack without any fiddling, which is a good thing.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom