Sky+HD boxes now with built-in Wi-Fi as standard

Discussion in 'News' started by hodg100, Aug 29, 2013.

1. hodg100

hodg100
    Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Existing customers can get their hands on a free attachment to connect

The Nation's favourite PVR is getting a refresh with the launch of two new boxes which will both have built-in Wi-Fi for the first time

The Sky+HD and Sky+HD 2TB boxes will obviously aid access to Sky's On Demand service, which is currently enjoyed in 2.7 million homes and registering an average of 6.2 million downloads a week.

The boxes connect wirelessly to a home Wi-Fi network with the touch of a couple of buttons. Once connected, customers can instantly access Sky's On Demand service, including up to the last 30 days of TV from the UK's biggest Catch Up TV service, the latest Box Sets, plus hundreds of movies from Sky Movies and Sky Store.

[​IMG]

And to ensure that all homes with Sky+HD boxes can get connected, existing customers who have not yet used On Demand can receive a free On Demand connector. This connector will allow them to connect their set-top box to their Wi-Fi network, giving them access to the additional entertainment. To check eligibility Sky customers can visit sky.com/connector.

There's a lead time of 3 months for the connector and stocks are limited so we'd advise you sign up PDQ. Also, as noted below, if you've already used the on demand service via a wired solution, you won't qualify for the free device, which seems like a pretty poor state of affairs to us and penalising those who have already shown support for their OD platform.

Sky customers with On Demand will receive up to 20 new channels on Catch Up TV over the next year. The first channels to be added to the service will include Discovery, Dave, Gold and Cartoon Network, all arriving before the end of the year.

This Autumn, Sky will also continue to expand the number of TV Box Sets available. From September this will include Hannibal (Series 1, Sky Living), Friday Night Lights (Series 1 and 2, Sky Atlantic), Falling Skies (Series 1 and 2, Fox) and Rescue Me (Series 1-2, Sky Atlantic).

Luke Bradley-Jones, Sky's Brand Director of TV Products, comments:

"Record levels of On Demand viewing show that Sky customers love the flexibility the service offers. When people connect their Sky+HD box to broadband they get instant access to the UK's biggest Catch Up TV service and an extensive On Demand library of TV Box Sets and exclusive movies – and we're seeing a growing demand.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  2. pob

pob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I'm not allowed a wireless connector:
    You can claim a free wireless On Demand connector only if:
    You've never connected to On Demand. Have you previously connected your Sky+HD box to your broadband router?

Looks like I'll put up with the wires then!

3. hodg100

hodg100
    Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    That's rubbish. Sorry, I'm not a Sky customer so couldn't proceed any further than the link above.

I'll amend, thanks!

4. rfryer0791

rfryer0791
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...if you have already connected to On Demand with your wired connection. Seems a bit unfair that we are stuck with the cable, while others can have a nice, neat wireless connection.

5. mmalh0151

mmalh0151

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Mine has gone through apparantly and I have my box connected to internet but not 100% if i have used on demand before.

cheers!

6. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,671
    The thing that really angers me is while I can do all sorts with a connected box, with SKY+ app, On-Demand etc, and despite them knowing everything about me and my box via this service, I cannot fathom then how on earth when I look at getting anything via Box Office, it wont take payment via the broadband cable. I have to connect my phoneline!?!? Are you kidding me SKY!?!?

Obviously my box is not connected and I won't trailing a cable around the room or want to fork out buying a wireless phone connector.

Despite the rant, I'm tempted with the 2TB box though.

7. Bingohomer

Bingohomer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They did this with the connectors a while back and there was the same outrage then from existing customers, Sky really do not have loyalty at the heart of their business model.

Great news about the built in wireless boxes, though I wonder how long it will be before they become the mainstream installation models, don't engineers tend to have stocks and it will purely be luck of the draw which one you get installed?

8. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Still no plans for IP control with this new box then, now it's more network enabled?

9. Bingohomer

Bingohomer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just had a more detailed look and seems these will be the norm from the off, there is no connector available anymore for new orders, nice :thumbsup:

10. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    "Thank you for your interest in an On Demand connector
    Unfortunately your registration was unsuccessful."

Great, I'm getting punished for having the temerity to run a 10m length of CAT 5 round my hallway to download a movie from the Sky Store. Once.

Thanks Sky.

:(

11. steve a

steve a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    2nd that,done the same thing and got the same reply,easy come easy go as far as sky are concerned about loyal customers.

Thanks sky.

12. 12 promises

12 promises

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    loyalty counts for nothing these days...........another sign of the times.

13. mr spendalot

mr spendalot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the same, so the ones that have invested in sky, purchased the product and made it the succes it is , get nothing , and the ones who have never spent a penny , or put up with ugly wires round the room, get it for nothing , Sky , you need to get a grip , look after the loyal customers that spend up to £100 a month and more on your product !!!!!

14. yoskiwoski

yoskiwoski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I got the same message of being unsuccessful and have never connected mine to broadband before