Sky HD boxes and Panasonic TV compatability issues via HDMI

Ivor_Biggern

I have a panasonic 42PZ70, i`m not sure if this is coincedence or not as to whether the problem has anything to do with the HD box ive just had installed.

Since i had HD installed ive had something a bit strange happening, i can be sat their watching tv without the HD box switched on and all of a sudden the tv picture will go off to a solid black screen and an icon appears at the top left corner saying HDMI 1 and then 1080i etc

Its as if the HDMI 1 input is cutting in over the top of the TV feed and displaying a blank black screen when the HD box switched off, if press the TV input on my remote then the TV picture comes back on as normal.

It didn`t do this before i had HD installed, is this a coincedence or is something wrong with the tv like maybe a faulty HDMI 1 port or is the HD feed doing something ? Ive got a Mark Grant HDMI cable that connects my HD box to my tv.

Last edited:

Ivor_Biggern

Its just done exactly the same again, this is a strange one. Maybe i need to try and test it over a period of time without the HD cable connected as it didn`t do this before i had HD installed.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Ivor_Biggern

Hmmmm, i thought you experts liked a good puzzle to solve :D

Basically the HDMI 1 feed looks like its cutting in over the top of the tv feed whilst i`m watching a normal tv programme, its goes to a solid black screen yet the HD box is switched off in stand by. Like i said above when it goes to the black screen the channel information box appears at the top left saying HDMI 1 then 1080i etc.

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Hmmmm, i thought you experts liked a good puzzle to solve :D

Basically the HDMI 1 feed looks like its cutting in over the top of the tv feed whilst i`m watching a normal tv programme, its goes to a solid black screen yet the HD box is switched off in stand by. Like i said above when it goes to the black screen the channel information box appears at the top left saying HDMI 1 then 1080i etc.
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a handshake issue between my Pace box and my Panny G10.:(

http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-hd/1070551-handshaking-issue-bbc-bbchd.html

Last edited:

Ivor_Biggern

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a handshake issue between my Pace box and my Panny G10.:(

http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-hd/1070551-handshaking-issue-bbc-bbchd.html
Thanks

Is that problem the same as mine as it seems a bit different, its hard to work out from that thread if their HD box is switched on at the time.

My problem is with the HD box switched off in stand by, i can be watching normal tv then all of a sudden the picture goes off to a black screen and the channel info box appears in the top left saying HDMI 1 1080i etc.

Jaycee Dove

Novice Member
Pace boxes do have handshake issues with some TVs and brief intrusions like reported do happen...with some TVs they are rare, with others they are more common, but they are usually only minor irks not problematic.

Other HD boxes seem less effected.

Ivor_Biggern

I think i have worked this out after doing a bit of testing this afternoon.

It seems its possibly BBC related, if i switch my Amstrad HD box off into stand by and the last channel thats left on the box is a BBC channel then even with the Sky HD box switched off in stand by its cutting in and coming over the top of the TV feed and displaying a solid black screen with the channel information saying its now changed to HDMI 1 and 1080i.

Does anyone know why this is happening even wit the HD box is switched off in stand by ? Its as if the BBC signal is sending some info to the HDMI 1 input on the TV and then when your watching TV on the TV input its coming over the top with a solid black screen ?

I tested leaving the box on various channels like sky sports and ITV 3 and then putting it into stand by and watching the normal TV feed, it didn`t do it once in over 40 mins to an hour, as soon as i switched the HD box on and changed the channel to a BBC channel and then turned the HD box off into stand by and started to watch the normal TV feed it would do the same again where a solid black screen appeared and my TV picture dissapeared with the channel info in the top left saying HDMI 1 and 1080i.

is their a cure, why does it do this ?

wilbanat

Distinguished Member
Thanks

Is that problem the same as mine as it seems a bit different, its hard to work out from that thread if their HD box is switched on at the time.

My problem is with the HD box switched off in stand by, i can be watching normal tv then all of a sudden the picture goes off to a black screen and the channel info box appears in the top left saying HDMI 1 1080i etc.
weird

Last edited:

Ivor_Biggern

Its not just BBC related as ive just found out, regardless of what channel was last on the HD box before i switched it off into stand by its stll doing the same where the HDMI 1 feed is coming over the top of the normal TV feed and its displaying a solid black screen with the source and channel info box being displayed in the top left hand corner as HDMI 1 1080i ....

This is a bit frustrating lol, the only way round it that i can see is to take the HDMI lead out every time after ive finished watching sky and then want to put normal Tv on, something is triggering the HDMI 1 feed to come to life and to display a solid black screen.

kenedin

I don't think the HDMI on some Sky HD digiboxes is ever actually off. I think it's live, even in standby. Maybe the digibox is sending some kind of signal, maybe HDCP authentication (?) to your tv. With the tv's Viera Link or HDAVI Control turned on, it is attempting to autoswitch to the Sky HD input.

Try disabling Viera Link, p44 in your manual.

You could also post in the plasma section of the forum.

FWIW, I have a Thomson HD digibox where, I suspect, the HDMI is actually off when the box is in standby. When it's turned on, my Panny autoswitches straight away to the HDMI 1 as it detects the input go live from the Thomson.

AndyCob

Don't know for certain if this is relevant to your model but Panasonic was one of the few brands to implement a system to auto-switch their TVs to an HDMI input based solely on it going active, this means they would autoswitch to devices like Sky HD when turned on even though Sky HD does not use HDMI interdevice communication. Sky HD boxes do not support or use any of the HDMI based CEC protocols for interdevice communication so most displays do not switch to them when they are turned on or when the sky button is pressed like scart connected boxes do. Panasonic TVs using this active HDMI input selection actually do auto switch to a Sky HD box (well most of the them) when it is turned on/off (though not when the sky button is pressed AIUI)

However (this may have bee fixed by now) the Samsung made boxes for some unusual reason always left the HDMI output permanently active even when in standby which completely flumoxed the Panasonic system. So this could be an issue in that the Sky box is sending active signals in error and your display is autoswitching. I would have thought there ought to be an option in the Panasonic TV setup to turn this feature off so a good read through the manual might be called for (this ought to be under something similar to vierra link which is the name I think Panasonic use for HDMI CEC device communication, though it is actually a different system so hopefully has a seperate on/off setting).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Ivor_Biggern

Thanks for the detailed replies, something is certainly triggering the HDMI 1 input to come to life over the top of the TV input.

Ive asked on the plasma forum to see if any other panasonic owners have had similar, ive even tried 2 different HDMI leads and its still the same.

alan1572

does it solve the problem if you watch all channels thru the hd box?

Ivor_Biggern

does it solve the problem if you watch all channels thru the hd box?
Yeh because if i`m on the HDMI 1 input watching sky it can`t cut in to HDMI 1 again, its when the HD box is turned off in stand by and your watching normal TV through the TV input the HDMI 1 input is cutting in and changing the input from TV to HDMI 1 and it displays a solid black screen, its as if something is triggering it to change input from TV to HDMI.

alan1572

so, it's just when you have 2 things recording and you don't want to watch something on the hard drive and you have to watch freeview/analogue?

mark57

Standard Member
Panasonic tx-42g10 tv - Amstrad sky hd box installed last week same problem when in standby freeview goes to a black screen periodically, but in the left-hand corner flashes 16.9 then wide.
Changed Hdmi cable still the same weird though I plugged my scart lead in and watched freeview in av1 it still happened .

Appreciate any ideas cheers

Last edited:
Panasonic tx-42g10 tv - Amstrad sky hd box installed last week same problem when in standby freeview goes to a black screen periodically, but in the left-hand corner flashes 16.9 then wide.
Changed Hdmi cable still the same weird though I plugged my scart lead in and watched freeview in av1 it still happened .

Appreciate any ideas cheers
As posted earlier by Kenedin, this is almost certainly related to auto device switching. Turn off HDMI-CEC (viera link) on your tv to resolve.

Ivor_Biggern

As posted earlier by Kenedin, this is almost certainly related to auto device switching. Turn off HDMI-CEC (viera link) on your tv to resolve.
I must have missed the Viera link suggestion by turning it off, i`ll give that a try and see how it goes. At least someone else is experiencing the same problem with a Panasonic TV and an Amstrad box.

Ivor_Biggern

Thanks but turned the viera link off but the problem still happens .
Any other suggestions cheers
Exactly the same here, i turned Viera link off and the same problem remains. Ive tried everything possible but nothing resolves it.

Does anyone know if this is a Sky problem or a Panasonic problem ? ..... Its just i need to know who i should contact about this as its something that needs resolving.

Last edited:

kenedin

I don't think you'll get anyone to admit it's a problem. Certainly not Panasonic who, quite legitimately, have introduced HDMI CEC into their tv's. More like Sky, who probably never even thought about it. It's not an issue with the Thomsons, but that's no consolation to you.

I can't think of anything else, maybe someone on the PZ Owners Threads in the plasma tv section can help.

AndyCob

As I said in my earlier post the panasonic system for auto switching to active HDMI inputs isn't actually the Vierra Link system. Vierra link is the Panasonic name for the system actually using the HDMI CEC protocols for interdevice communication, link Sony's Bravia Sync, Samsung Anynet etc.

The active HDMI input switching on Panansonics is a seperate feature designed to provide some measure of autoswitching even with HDMI devices which do not support Vierra Link or any of the HDMI CEC protocols. Unfortunately I don't know what Panasonic call it or if they provide a seperate menu option to disable it. The description of the problem would suggest some makes of Sky HD boxes are intermitently sending active signals via HDMI even when in standy (at one point, may now be fixed, the Samsung made HD boxes permanently sent an active signal via HDMI even when the box was in standby). On most TV this wouldn't be an issue but as the Panasonics are able to detect and autoswitch based on the active signal it seems it may be causing your displays to momentarily switch to the HDMI input.

Unfortunately that means the only possible fixes are disabling active switching in the TV (assuming Panasonic provide that option), or replacing the Sky HD box for one without this issue or waiting for a software update to fix the issue (both of these options assume the problem is actually being caused by an issue in the Sky HD box, hardware software that is causing intermittent active signals to be sent via HDMI even whne in standby which of course may not be the actual issue).

Ivor_Biggern

Andy i apprecaite the above and you taking the time to help, if i was to ring sky could you scale the above down into a simplified smaller version that sky would understand because as you know the people who answer the phones at sky seem to struggle with the basics never mind more advanced stuff :D

Just in simple laymans terms would be great as to what the problem is and who or what the likely culprit is.

kenedin

When you get through to Sky Tech, simply tell them the facts:

1. You have a Panasonic tv which has been designed to 'autoswitch' to the Sky input when the box is turned on. It is a design feature of a lot of Panasonics and it cannot be disabled. You have turned off Viera Link and HDMI Control with no effect.

2. Your Amstrad digibox, even in standby, is sending a signal over HDMI to the tv which is making it think the digibox has sent a request to autoswitch to view Sky. Hence the messages ( but no picture ) that you are seeing onscreen.

3. Why is this happening, as you are led to believe that Thomsons ( for example ) do NOT do this? What can I do about it? Are any software updates planned to obviate this problem? Is my box faulty?

Have AndyCob's excellent explanatory posts here to hand. I venture to suggest Sky will give you the usual runaround and will pass the buck to Panasonic ( who, IMHO, are entirely blameless ). Whoever designed these boxes has forgotten, or ignored, the HDMI CEC protocol that Panasonic have built into their tv's.

Good luck. You'll need it:D:D

ps. Off to CL footie now:hiya:

AndyCob

Hi Ivor, frankly I wouldn't even bother calling Sky. The tier one customer services people with almost certainly have absolutely no idea what you are talking about no matter how simply you put it (that's not a dig at the customer support people it's just issues like this will be totally outside their training and responsibility), at best they might take a report of your problem that your display is randomly switching to the HDMI input to which your sky HD is connected which may eventually make it down the line to someone who has a clue.

I suppose it might be worth asking to speak to someone technical so I guess a problem summary might go:

Problem:

My Panasonic TV is intermittently switching automatically to the HDMI input my Sky HD is connected to for a split second, while the box is in standby.

-it only does this while the box is in standby (confirm?)

-my TV autoswitches to the HDMI input my Sky HD is connected to when the box is turned on. (Confirm?) I understand this is a Panasonic TV feature not a Sky HD feature and is based on the TV automatically detecting an active HDMI input.

-are you aware of issue with ..... make of box with software version .... which is causing an issue with this system? as it appears the box is randomly sending an active HDMI input to my screen causing it to switch to the HDMI input for a split second while the box is in standby.

-it did not previosly do this (confirm?) so is this an issue with the current firmware and are you planning to fix it?

Even if you actually find someone who understands what you are on about you are going to get one of a few responses, we have never heard of this problem, we are aware of the issue and working on a fix (basicly wait and see if we patch it with a firmware update at some unknown point in the future). I seriously doubt you will get any sort of action like we will replace your box with a different brand that doesn't have this issue.

Bare in mind I have meerly proposed a theory of the problem consistent with what has been described and have no proof the cause is actaully the SKY HD box.

Feel free to try though, personally I suspect you might do better emailing the problem to Jeremy Daroch, did I get that right, his name and email is referrenced in a bunch of threads on here as the head of customer services which is more likely to get if forwarded to someone with the necessary technical background.

Might be simpler to contact Panasonic support and ask if/how to disbale the active input switching in the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Sonus faber announces Maxima Amator speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL announces new soundbars for UK TV consumers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton