Reaction score
Image Attached

Attachments

• sky_hd.jpg
    sky_hd.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 848
When??!

I have no more idea than has been posted before ... 2006

Stuff magazine says Feb 2006 - I was hoping they'd sneak a few out in time for XMas!

It would appear that they are missing a rather large opportunity ... but when did SKY ever make sense ?

I've just spent over a year and several thousand pounds getting all my equipment from black to silver...

What do sky do..

Make it a predominately black box...

Thanks Sky..

:)

Hopefully it will have replaceable covers like the Xbox 360 so you can make it match, the only bit of black i ave left is my Xbox.

Jon.

i like the way the top of the thing collapses under the weight of the remote lol

The_Munter said:
Stuff magazine says Feb 2006 - I was hoping they'd sneak a few out in time for XMas!

I read there is a real shortage - overdemand - for the newest MPEG4 decoder chips.

I expect Sky what to have comfidence in supplying any demand they generate.

Cheers, Dave C.

Goonboy said:
It would appear that they are missing a rather large opportunity ... but when did SKY ever make sense ?

this world revolves within sky, sky does not revolve around the world, if you want it, tou will get it when mr murdoch says so, and not before.

funny I've only ever seen people complaining about all their kit being black and sky being 'silver' .....why can't they just do them in both varieties.....surely it can't be too difficult??

Got rid of all black kits years ago ... wish new Sky HD was silver or white or aluminium or platinum coloured.

StooMonster

Sick Boy said:
Does it matter what it looks like if Sky just get some cheap electronics firm to make them? The picture it produces is the most important factor.
sorry cant agree with that, if you have a high end system and it looks very smart in black, would you really want to spoil the effect of it all with a silver or white box, bit of a sore thumb. i know some people dont give a dam about what the system looks like but how it performs, for me personally it has to both perform and look the part, after all it is in my living room and i have to look at it most days. :eek:

I am sure MAW will make you a cardboard cutout of the sky HD box in any colour you want, it's his thing , does a lovely panny LCD 500 :rotfl:

By the way, the card slot on the right is for your credit card, to electronically extract the HD subscriptions :rotfl:

Sick Boy said:
Does it matter what it looks like if Sky just get some cheap electronics firm to make them? The picture it produces is the most important factor.

Well, somehow I just can't get excited about a HD box made by Amstrad. Just call me an old cynic :rolleyes:

Sick Boy said:

Aren't Thomson making them? They're OK aren't they?

Yes, Thomson are making the first gen HD box. Not having owned anything made by them, I can't comment on their general reliability.

Steve

Rather than start a new thread I thought my question could be answered here.

On Tuesday I got a new JVC LT26DSB HDTV LCD for my bedroom. The main TV downstairs is a 30" CRT TV. Which has a standard Sky box.

Now I want to take up Skys offer of getting Sky installed in another room for £50 for the box, free installation and £10 extra a month.

But once Sky HD comes out I will want a HD feed for my TV upstairs. So as its only going to be 4-5 months should I wait for Sky HD? Just pay the £50 for the box and pay out again in February?

Any idea how much the HD box would cost? I'm wondering if I tell Sky I'm planning on getting HD Sky when it comes out, would they do a deal on a free box in the interim?

Also can you have an non HD feed on one TV and a HD feed on another from the same satellite?

Tony_R said:
Rather than start a new thread I thought my question could be answered here.

On Tuesday I got a new JVC LT26DSB HDTV LCD for my bedroom. The main TV downstairs is a 30" CRT TV. Which has a standard Sky box.

Now I want to take up Skys offer of getting Sky installed in another room for £50 for the box, free installation and £10 extra a month.

But once Sky HD comes out I will want a HD feed for my TV upstairs. So as its only going to be 4-5 months should I wait for Sky HD? Just pay the £50 for the box and pay out again in February?

Any idea how much the HD box would cost? I'm wondering if I tell Sky I'm planning on getting HD Sky when it comes out, would they do a deal on a free box in the interim?

Also can you have an non HD feed on one TV and a HD feed on another from the same satellite?

It sounds like you can afford to "waste" £50 for a few months! :)

I'm hoping there will be a HD Sky+ Box available. I know not all channels will be broadcast in HD but a bigger HDD will be needed to record a normal channels wit HD Movies thrown in.

KevD said:
I'm hoping there will be a HD Sky+ Box available. I know not all channels will be broadcast in HD but a bigger HDD will be needed to record a normal channels wit HD Movies thrown in.

The new HD box does have 2 tuners with Sky+ features and I would expect it to have a large HDD - hopefully at least 400Gb.

Steve

Nick_UK said:
Well, somehow I just can't get excited about a HD box made by Amstrad. Just call me an old cynic :rolleyes:

:rotfl: Nick-uk you are nothing more than an av snob :hiya:
the boxes are made to sky spec so it does not matter if it has an amstrad name on it bang&olufson, nakamichi bose or THOMPSON wtf! the workings will all be the same,
who for gods sake are pace???
but i do know what you mean, my old sky box was amstrad but i did ask if i could perhaps have a panasonic :mad: ..

ijd said:
:rotfl: Nick-uk you are nothing more than an av snob :hiya:
the boxes are made to sky spec so it does not matter if it has an amstrad name on it bang&olufson, nakamichi bose or THOMPSON wtf! the workings will all be the same,
who for gods sake are pace???
but i do know what you mean, my old sky box was amstrad but i did ask if i could perhaps have a panasonic :mad: ..

In principle you are totally correct however in practice the situation is not so clear cut.
Yep the spec is the same but each manufacturer can choose the components they deem acceptable (well apart from NDS supplied parts) and therefore price/performance and reliabilty become a factor in construction and ultimately the final product.

No matter what SKY says there are differences between PACE, Amstrad and Thomsons sourced SKY+ units and even though I want to say that it shouldn't make any real difference I would be foolish to say it doesn't:)

It's a shame but if Amstrad were making the first SKY+ HD I would be worried after their very poor showing with their second and subsequent SKY+ models (vertical banding, slow menus, noise etc etc).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom