Sky HD Box with no subscription

Optimaahc

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

this is probably a stupid question but can anyone tell me if its possible to purchase a HD Box without the HD subscription.
I have been thinking about this Freesat thing and it struck me that I may be able to do the same thing with Sky and access the BBC HD channels free?

At the moment I have an SD Sky+ box with subsription and if it was possible I would buy an HD box and work it off this existing subscription.

Thanks in advance.

As long as you don't buy a 'subsidised' box from Sky this is possible. You will have to make it quite clear at the time of pairing your card with the new box that you don't want an HD subscription because this will lock you into a 12 month agreement.

According to a recent poll, quite a few people are 'jumping ship' to Freesat, so you should be able to find a second hand Sky HD box without too much trouble. ;)

ATB

Max

According to a recent poll, quite a few people are 'jumping ship' to Freesat, so you should be able to find a second hand Sky HD box without too much trouble. ;)

ATB

Max

If these people do actually ´jump ship´ (I can´t imagine why though!!!), I´d expect they are waiting for the Freesat PVR, which isn´t available yet.

If these people do actually ´jump ship´ (I can´t imagine why though!!!), I´d expect they are waiting for the Freesat PVR, which isn´t available yet.

Sorry Derek, I wasn't being entirely serious with that remark, it was tinged with irony! :D

I find the whole Freesat issue quite amusing. :rolleyes:

It's a good thing as an alternate means of receiving digital TV. It's a solution for those people who can't receive Freeview and also those people who see no benefit in having a pay TV service. It's even a solution for those people who have the irrational hang up about paying anything to 'Murdoch', however tenuously he's linked to the company. :smashin:

However, the really amusing part is the suggestion that Freesat is an alternative service to Sky, it isn't, because there's no comparison on content and I don't see how a free service could ever compete for that content. Consequently I won't be 'jumping ship' anytime soon. If I could save £65 a month that would be great, but to watch what?

ATB

Max

I purchased a SKY HD box a few months back (not from Sky) and all you have to do is pair the box via the engineers service menu and pair your viewing card by calling Sky.

They will ask you if you want to upgrade to the Sky HD package but i'm not sure if you'll receive the so called 'Free To Air' HD channels without doing this.

I seem to remember that I couldn't view BBC HD, until the pairing had been completed but then again I upgraded the package so all the channels 'unlocked' at the same time.

Best bet is to call sky and ask if BBC HD etc.. is viewable without the subscription.

Note BBC HD is a mixture of random programs on one channel, some new (Heroes), some old.

Channel 4 HD is Channel 4, as is Discovery, History, Movies, Sport etc...

I purchased a SKY HD box a few months back (not from Sky) and all you have to do is pair the box via the engineers service menu and pair your viewing card by calling Sky.

They will ask you if you want to upgrade to the Sky HD package but i'm not sure if you'll receive the so called 'Free To Air' HD channels without doing this.

I seem to remember that I couldn't view BBC HD, until the pairing had been completed but then again I upgraded the package so all the channels 'unlocked' at the same time.

Best bet is to call sky and ask if BBC HD etc.. is viewable without the subscription.

Note BBC HD is a mixture of random programs on one channel, some new (Heroes), some old.

Channel 4 HD is Channel 4, as is Discovery, History, Movies, Sport etc...

You will get the FTA & FTV (CH4 HD) HD channels with your existing card without the HD subscription.

ATB

Max

I would even take it further and check out fleabay, as you can get it much cheaper (new as well as used). I got my box from here and saved quite a nice bunch of cash on a brand new box... :thumbsup:

Double check on some sellers of the new ones that it includes tax in the price.

Alot of sellers offer excellent value say £200 then when you commit to buy tax is added. Still cheaper than buying direct from Sky but not as huge saving as you thought.

You will get the FTA & FTV (CH4 HD) HD channels with your existing card without the HD subscription.

ATB

Max

Cheers buddy,

There you go, just pair the card with the box and start watching some HD stuff :smashin:.

i have skyhd downstairs and had multi rooms upstairs but endded the multi room service 2 months ago for a freesat box, i bought the hd one from argos nice box but when you move from sky to freesat its a big difference in what channels you get even though there are free, so i returned the freesat box and even though had a sky+ box already in my bedroom, i got a cheap deal on a skyhd box and so far been using it with the free to view card and you get bbchd and c4hd for free am going to set up the multi room service again as for 10quid a month i'll get the skyworld package we have downstairs only thing i wont get are the hd channels as you have to pay for that service and there dont count in multi room services,
also the live pause and rewind service wont work untill you get some channels put on or pay sky 10quid a month for using that service so ur best bet will be to get a normal channel pack with it,
also sky do a friends and family deal and afew ppl have had sky hd done for 100quid am not 100% if the deal still goes on but if you know someone with sky already best look into that as well.....

i have skyhd downstairs and had multi rooms upstairs but endded the multi room service 2 months ago for a freesat box, i bought the hd one from argos nice box but when you move from sky to freesat its a big difference in what channels you get even though there are free, so i returned the freesat box and even though had a sky+ box already in my bedroom, i got a cheap deal on a skyhd box and so far been using it with the free to view card and you get bbchd and c4hd for free am going to set up the multi room service again as for 10quid a month i'll get the skyworld package we have downstairs only thing i wont get are the hd channels as you have to pay for that service and there dont count in multi room services,
also the live pause and rewind service wont work untill you get some channels put on or pay sky 10quid a month for using that service so ur best bet will be to get a normal channel pack with it,
also sky do a friends and family deal and afew ppl have had sky hd done for 100quid am not 100% if the deal still goes on but if you know someone with sky already best look into that as well.....

Does your keyboard not have full stop and CAPS LOCK keys?

I normaly do that as we aint allowed to surf the net while working so everything is done in a rush,
anyway it doesnt bother me...

Get a life!!!:thumbsdow
and stop trying to correct people...:rolleyes:

I have to agree with the sentiments expressed by Broadz. I skipped post #11 because it looked quite unintelligible. Some forums actually have rules against making unintelligible posts. Obviously allowances have to be made for dyslexics but, if you want help, make it easy for people.

It's not totally unintelligible - and wouldn't Caps Lock have made it look worse rather than improve it?

bloody hell another one:rolleyes:

this thread is suppose to be for helping out with the question and so far 2ppl just with negative input and no help at all,
Just remember next time keep it to urself...:thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom