Answered Sky HD+ box with a bizarre menu picture problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by fredrick2513, Feb 16, 2018.

1. fredrick2513

fredrick2513

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi, I would love to know if anyone has come across this Sky HD+ box with a bizarre menu picture problem issue that I have been beset with on my Sky TV viewing box,
    The Menu or info bar zooms in or occasionally out into a box either on the left or partially falling off the edge of the picture, but the transmitted material is fine and still remains fully viewable and doesn't change aspect or resolution.
    The Amstrad DRX890 (4F31A6) box is a good few years old now but everything else seems to work ok. I attach some pics below. This problem appears randomly, after a few minutes and sometimes after a good hour or two after the box has been on.
    I have not changed anything in the settings as yet, though I am trying out the 1080i resolution option to see if that helps as its always been on Automatic. I have reloaded the firmware with a backup button pressed while powering it on, the only thing that seems to temporarily fix the problem is a remote standby press and back on again, Changing channels seems to sometime help but not always.
    I have called sky who haven't come across this problem before, and tech support will ask around internally, like i said the box otherwise works fine downloading boxsets and records programs fine, but nothing seems to fix the problem perminantly. anyone any ideas or come across this problem before?, I'm not wanting as yet to go Q-Box as more £££ as I am yet to get the 4k tv ( waiting for at leat the HDR10+ comparability to be inc.)
    Thanks
    F.

IMG_0913 5.JPG IMG_0903.JPG IMG_0913 5.JPG IMG_0903.JPG IMG_0910 4.JPG IMG_0911.JPG

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by nsewell, Feb 16, 2018 (1 points)
  3. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Have you got your TV set to 16:9 rather than 'Just' or 'Zoom'?

4. nsewell

nsewell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Best Answer
    This a known defect which exists in the current software when the output resolution is set to Automatic.

The work around is to change the output resolution to something other than Automatic, such as 1080i as you have done.

This issue will be resolved in a future update.

5. fredrick2513

fredrick2513

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have it set to Auto but I'll change to 16:9 but sometimes the material is 4:3 so would have to change it manually back.

6. fredrick2513

fredrick2513

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    many thanks, I look forward to the update, when I called Sky this was an unknown issue for the tech. why I posted, and I couldn't find anyone else with the same issue.

7. fredrick2513

fredrick2513

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had a call from Sky support this evening, I was told there is a new software version out since 8th Feb but even after a force download my box remained at R18. so at some point it will work. I'll keep checking. I asked what was in the update, various small changes but nothing about any bug fixes.. well we will see. watch this space,,,

8. nsewell

nsewell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    An update was deployed to a small group of boxes on 8th Feb as a trial, currently the full rollout to all boxes has not yet started.

Forcing a download will not give you the newer version until the DR stream has been updated, this will not be happening for a while yet.

9. fredrick2513

fredrick2513

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks. Ye. I realise. There’s hope at least.

10. thewhofan

thewhofan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    What a strange bug. Is that a Pana GT50 btw?