Sky+ HD Box with a 4k TV, should I upgrade to a Sky Q box?

GaMeFaNaTiC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I've recently purchased my first 4k tv and it's connected to an old Sky+HD box.

Upscaling is ok but not great, football in HD looks decent but slightly blurry. All of this stuff was obviously better on my 1080p LCD TV.

If I press the info button on my tv remote it says 1080i. Do I need to upgrade to a Sky Q box for better upscaling? Has anyone done this and noticed a difference? I'm not planning to subscribe to any UHD channels but might upgrade to Sky Q if it helps with the picture quality!

It's probably the settings on the TV - they tend to enable all sorts of image processing, which usually makes a lot of content, especially sports, look terrible.

It's worth checking the TV section of this forum to see what settings other users have found work well.

Changing the settings does help sometimes, looks different based on what I'm watching.

Did a bit of googling and people in general seem unhappy with how the sky q box upscales compared to the older sky boxes so maybe I should just stick with what I have!

Changing the settings does help sometimes, looks different based on what I'm watching.

Did a bit of googling and people in general seem unhappy with how the sky q box upscales compared to the older sky boxes so maybe I should just stick with what I have!
I have my SkyQ box set to 1080i for all programmes except for 4K films or sport when I select the 2160p option. It’s buried way down in the menu system but it’s worth doing because if 2160p is set for all programmes the PQ is worse. My quality TV can upscale better than the Q box. PQ is fine from the Q box.

I am thinking about changing from my sky plus box to sky q as I got an offer from sky which seems reasonable at £50 per month (fibre broadband, Sky Signature, Sky UHD/HD, Sky Kids, Netflix premium, 2 TB Q-Box with one minibox).

But does anyone know if there is a way of being able to still access recordings on a Sky+ box if I upgrade to Sky Q (can I take the Sky Q card out and pair it to use the old Sky+ box)? I'd like the Sky Q to get the Netflix Premium (which is otherwise £13.99 on its own) but really would like to still access the recordings on my old Sky+ box (2 TB box)

Also can anyone confirm whether or not it is still possible to take recordings off a Sky Q box onto a DVD recorder as I used to do with my Sky+ Box. Many thanks

Once you have a new machine you can’t use the old machine for anything encoded.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom