• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky HD box v Humax FOXSAT HDR

psychopomp1

Prominent Member
Hello Folks

I'm currently subscribed to Sky HD and my 12 month contract is coming to an end in a couple of months, so will be ditching it as i don't watch much of the subscription channels (don't get enough time). However i will still need the recording facility so either i will pay £10 pm to keep the Sky+ facility or i will flog my Sky HD box on Fleabay and then buy the Humax FOXSAT HDR, provided i can get hold of one. Some questions, specifically aimed at those who have gone from Sky to Freesat:

1) Overall, would you say the picture quality on the Humax is similar to the Sky HD box? (for SD channels)

2) Is the Humax's recording/playback facility as good as (or even better) than Sky+?

3) Is the hard disk of the Humax noisy? My Sky HD box was noisy, but i upgraded the disk to a Western Digital Green Power 500GB and its now really quiet.

4) On Freesat, do you get the free asian channels (such as Music India) which are available on Sky? Also can you subscribe to channels such as Geo TV (asian news channel) on Freesat, or is it strictly free to air channels only?

wezlyons

Standard Member
Hello Folks

I'm currently subscribed to Sky HD and my 12 month contract is coming to an end in a couple of months, so will be ditching it as i don't watch much of the subscription channels (don't get enough time). However i will still need the recording facility so either i will pay £10 pm to keep the Sky+ facility or i will flog my Sky HD box on Fleabay and then buy the Humax FOXSAT HDR, provided i can get hold of one. Some questions, specifically aimed at those who have gone from Sky to Freesat:

1) Overall, would you say the picture quality on the Humax is similar to the Sky HD box? (for SD channels)

2) Is the Humax's recording/playback facility as good as (or even better) than Sky+?

3) Is the hard disk of the Humax noisy? My Sky HD box was noisy, but i upgraded the disk to a Western Digital Green Power 500GB and its now really quiet.

4) On Freesat, do you get the free asian channels (such as Music India) which are available on Sky? Also can you subscribe to channels such as Geo TV (asian news channel) on Freesat, or is it strictly free to air channels only?

The picture quality of the SD channels in my opinion is a little softer than on Sky, it isn't something dramatic and within a few hours you get used to it but when you first switch you notice it.
The picture on the HD channel(s) is fantastic.

Recording and playback is just as good as Sky, infact i would say the fast forward and rewinding are better than Sky's which for me seemed a little inconsistant i.e. 30x not any faster than 12x on many occasions.
The humax has a skip button also, which you can set to a specific number of minutes, i have it set at 4 minutes so that i can hit the skip button and cut out the adverts instantly.
The Humax also tips you off if a show you are about to record is also available in HD which is a nice touch.
The program search on the Humax is much better than the one on Sky too.

There are a few Asian channels (B4U Music, Zee Music, 9XM and 9X), as of yet you can't subscribe to any extra channels and more than likely never will.

Last edited:

BrianMc

Established Member
the filing system on the hard drive is also better than sky using a "folder" system and the thum nails
However Sky+HD STBs should finally get the long awaited and much trialled "new EPG" (which also includes folders) within the next couple of months!

alexbra123

Standard Member
no, you can add video to it and take it off and put it on an external harddrive but it has to be in the right (less common) format, which makes it a very big file
i think it is
(MPEG 1) .TS

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
no, you can add video to it and take it off and put it on an external harddrive but it has to be in the right (less common) format, which makes it a very big file
i think it is
(MPEG 1) .TS

The post you referred to is over 12 months old. You can now play external video on the hdr but only using a 3rd party piece of software (AV2HDR.exe) and the format is mpeg2 for Sd and mpeg4 (H264) for HD. Mpeg2 and Mpeg4 is extremely common it's used by all digital broadcasters and mpeg2 is used on dvds with mpeg4 on Bluray discs.

It's not that big either SD uses about 4GB for 2hrs of video.

GarethG

Established Member
Hello Folks

wondered how this comparison stands now?

logiciel

You can get the answer to question 4 by Googling Freesat, and it IS free, so subs don't come into it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom