Sky HD box - Phoneline query

eklektik

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had my Sky HD installed around a year ago, my better half is now wanting to move the living room around but the phone line which the engineer installed isnt long enough, I notice that the cable which connects it to the filter at the other end looks like a standard ADSL Cable... can someone tell me if this is the case? Dont want to go and buy a new longer cable if its not going to work...

Many thanks

Ryan

actually... scratch that... I've just noticed that it goes to a slpitter type box thing at both ends... how do i extend the wire?

Ryan

Do you really want it, or need to have it?
Need would be if you have multiroom.
Want would be if you like paying the Sky empire for their silly games and films you can see soon anyway.
If it's either then look at the plug that goes in the receiver, and get an extension cable to match it.
Otherwise take it out altogether.

For information it's a requirement of your contract that you have the phone line connection for 12 months and Sky somehow know & could possibly contact you about it, after that there's no contractual requirement.

For information it's a requirement of your contract that you have the phone line connection for 12 months

That you can buy yourself out of for a fixed, one off fee of £25.

..and Sky somehow know...

They "police" multiroom subscriptions by sending a satellite signal to the box requesting it to "call home".

For information it's a requirement of your contract that you have the phone line connection for 12 months and Sky somehow know & could possibly contact you about it, after that there's no contractual requirement.

Except on multiroom subscriptions on which all boxes must permanently be connected.

Hence my recommendation: "Otherwise take it out altogether".

we have an aditional 2 multiroom boxes and there rarely connect to the line - we plug them in about once every 6 months for a few days and thats about it - we dont like have to trail the phone line cable all the way up the stairs.

sky have never contacted us about it - unless there just concerned if they harras us about it we will cut our packages etc down as we currently pay for all packages apart from adult and mutv packages plus 2 multiroom subs, 3 sky+subs and 2 sky HD subs

They "police" multiroom subscriptions by sending a satellite signal to the box requesting it to "call home".

Does anyone know how often they do this or if it is a permanent thing? The reason I ask is because I had Sky multiroom fitted a few months ago and I have just discovered that despite the phone line cable being physically plugged into the back of both boxes, it is still saying that the phone line is "Not Connected" in the Signal menu (which is probably another unrelated problem) and I havent been contacted about this and even called them and asked them to check and they didnt mention about the line not being connected so was wondering if they maybe only check every 4-6 months which could explain why I havent had a slapped wrist from Sky!

I have an engineer coming round tomorrow to have a look at it but as I dont use the box office etc stuff I dont see a reason to have the phone line connected unless it was a contractural requirement but seems like maybe they wouldnt know one way or the other?

Hmm ok, wonder why my lack of connection hasnt been flagged. Guess I will ask the "engineer" tomorrow when they come.

Is the Sky guy coming because you asked about the phone, and if so why did you ask as you don't want to use it?:confused:

Because apparently it is a requirement of the contract that a telephone line be connected at all times with a multibox setup and I dont want any problems or sanctions from Sky when or if they discover it is not working or connected.

As Broadz says it IS a requirement, but all they would - and indeed could - do if they found out is write and ask you to get it connected. If you didn't then they'd charge the full rate for the multiroom but that would never arise.

It is a permanent requirement and they test each box approximately once a month.

I must be lucky then, I have had multiroom, not connected to a phoneline, since October 2007, and not heard from Sky?

As Broadz says it IS a requirement, but all they would - and indeed could - do if they found out is write and ask you to get it connected. If you didn't then they'd charge the full rate for the multiroom but that would never arise.

That may well arise if you do not comply with their letters and either get your boxes connected or an engineer out to sort the system out. It happens often that people do get charged for ignoring the letters and is reported quite often on the many satellite and other forums.

The "that" that would never arise referred to "if you didn't" and that referred to "you to get it connected".
My assumption was that anyone would get it connected.

I must be lucky then, I have had multiroom, not connected to a phoneline, since October 2007, and not heard from Sky?

Correct, you are lucky. You often hear of one or two people who slip through the net. Congratulations.

Correct, you are lucky. You often hear of one or two people who slip through the net. Congratulations.

Yes, it is odd, I have my main box downstairs connected to the phone line but when the installers came and put the box in my son's bedroom connecting it to a phone line was never mentioned and I was unaware of Sky's t'&c's (bad boy, I should have read them!).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom