Sky HD Box Phone Line Connection

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by kd001, Feb 5, 2009.

1. kd001

kd001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The phone plug (an extension plug) to which my Sky HD box is connected has developed a fault. So now the box has no phone line connection but I can receive all the channels. However the extension plug in question is in a very hard place to reach behind the TV. What I want to know is whether a phone line connection is really necessary? (I know Sky insist on it). I don't use Sky active or anything like that. But is the phone line required for updating the software and the channels etc... Basically is it worth repairing the fault?

Thank you for any advie.

2. wbabbington

wbabbington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    The only thing that a phone line is for AFAIK is for the interactive features and ordering SBO via the box.

Ive not had mine plugged into a phone line since I got Sky 2 and a bit years ago and have had no issues. Everything gets updated just fine.

3. tricky0001979

tricky0001979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    the only time sky will insist on it being connected is when you have multiroom, because you get the subsidised subscription for ten pounds instead of £17 - £45ish. Someone i know has multiroom and doesn't have one box connected and has received letters threatening to charge her £35 pounds a month extra effectively an extra sub.