Sky HD box only allowing a few channels to be viewed

Howzatone

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a Sky HD box, which only shows a selected view channels properly. I can watch BBC1, 2, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, E4, channels like that. However, when I go on say Sky Sports HD1 it says 'No satellite signal is being received', if I go on Sky Sports HD2 it says 'This is the wrong card for this Set Top Box, Insert the correct Sky viewing card', and mostly every other Sky channel doesn't work.

What could I do to try and solve this problem, as it's been like this for a few weeks now and it's getting really annoying. Thanks for any help offered, it will be much appreciated.

Make and model number on the LABEL?

Test dish feeds with a standard sky Digibox. (You can pick them up for a tenner.)
You won't be able to check the premium channels but the rest should give you a clue.

Thomson DSI8125 I think? That's what the label underneath it says.

And is the £10 not a bit steep just to test something, when you could just get a Sky engineer to come round and check it out?

Sky charge £65 for an out-of-warranty installer's visit (not "engineer").

Thomson? The usual PSU capacitor problem.

£65? Ouch.

So what do you think I should do? Pay £10 for that dish test thing? And is the box pretty much done.

I can't see any point in testing anything when you almost certainly have a faulty Thomson box. But I guess you could borrow a friend's Digibox just to prove the point. Then you have the choice of replacing or repairing the Thomson. If you replace it, you lose your recordings and you lose component output sockets. If you repair it, there's a small risk that the repair won't be fully successful. Your choice.

Which is cheapest?

Should I go via Sky to get the ball rolling or go through other sources?

I was speaking to a German businessman a few years ago. He said to me: "Do you know ze difference between English and Chermans? I Veel tell you. Ze Englishman walks into a shop and asks 'How much is zat TV set?'. Ze Cherman asks 'How reliable is zat TV set?' So now you know ze difference. Ze English are stupid! Zey care about nothing except ze initial price."

Okay, think I'm just gonna buy a new Sky HD box off eBay then for like £60, do you think that's the most worthwhile option?

Hmm, it should be. Most eBay sellers have a genuine reason for sale.

Would that not be reason not to buy from eBay though?

Them selling the box when it's on the edge of breaking? Also, would replacing my box with one from eBay do anything to annoy Sky or would they have no idea I'd switched the boxes?

Why buy from eBay? If the box is faulty then sky will replace it for £65 and you get a years warranty. In fact if you ring up sky and tell them that your box is faulty and you want therefore to cancel your subscription they will often repair or replace for free

Why buy from eBay? If the box is faulty then sky will replace it for £65 and you get a years warranty. In fact if you ring up sky and tell them that your box is faulty and you want therefore to cancel your subscription they will often repair or replace for free

Okay, I would be okay to do that, but what if they just completely cut me off and that's that? Is there anyway to avoid that situation?

Also, for Sky replacing the box for £65, does that not forget the cost of the engineer, or do you not have to pay for that?

Thanks.

If you call sky and say the box is faulty then they will send an engineer round who will fix (unlikely) or replace (more likely) your box for £65 in total.

However when you speak to them you can say when they suggest £65 that you would like to reluctantly cancel as you are going to try cable / free view/ bt vision/ freest or whatever as £65 seems a lot.

They will then either offer free service call or accept your cancellation. If the latter then you can always say perhaps you will keep the service after all and agree to their £65 charge.

The good reasons the Ebay sellers have are usually NOT that there's something wrong with their receivers.
There's no way Sky would know what receiver you have without you telling them.
It's always worth at least reporting problems to Sky, to see what they offer.
Whatever that is, it won't involve an engineer.

You HAVE to tell BskyB so they can activate your card in the replacement Digibox. (They don't care what box you use as long as you keep on paying your subscription.)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom