• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SKY HD Box Now £49

I have my sky box in the attic, it was done like that so I could have sky in all the rooms in my house. We moved in so long ago and this appeared the only way to do it now.

I wouldnt mind having HD but I want the box in my living room, not replacing the box in the attic.

Does this mean I have to take out a multi room subscription or can I have two boxes in my house, with the hd box giving the hd picture in the living room.

AMP1984

Established Member
I am looking around for deals on sky+ but this just blows the sky+ free box and installation deal out of the water. I am now considering sky hd, even if it's £10 a month more expensive! Thanks for the find!

marty2005

Prominent Member
It's a 12 month contract so you'll have to pay to leave.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Do you reckon they will do the same as the Sky+ £10 sub & drop it soon

I don't think so.

It puzzled me why\how they could do a Sky HD box for £49 for existing customers - - they must be making a loss (the hard disk alone costs around that) and it's not like they are getting a new customer.

Then I remembered the £10 per month. It's no additional cost to them and so they will get at least £170 for the box - still not a great deal but maybe a little profit - and there's a good chance you'll continue paying the extra £10 after the year is up.

I expect they are also hoping that a good number will be convinced into taking out multi-room using their existing Sky+ boxes.

Cheers,

Nigel

bri1

Established Member
A little question, does the HD box once turned on automaticaly pop up on screnn as Sky+ does Via RGB scart or do you have to fiddle with the input select as for other HDMI sources.

If so, the wife will not allow a HD box as she cannot be arsed fiddling about with input select controls or really learning how to operate them, she just wants to fire it up & watch! :rolleyes:

Dollydoodah

Established Member
Another quick question... Others will be in the same boat...

Existing customer - Sky+ in main room and Standard Sky as my multiroom...

That means I'd be wanting Sky HD in main room and Sky+ as my new multiroom....

So if you've already got multiroom do you get the installation for free or is it just for newbie's???

Someone must have queried it by now, any help would be grateful:lease:

MINUS28

Standard Member
How much was the sky hd box previously?

I think im missing something about this deal. Granted, your getting some hd channels and vouchers, but is that really worth an extra 10 quid a month on a bill which is already 40 odd?

hmmmm, im gonna have to read some more

bri1

Established Member
How much was the sky hd box previously?

I think im missing something about this deal. Granted, your getting some hd channels and vouchers, but is that really worth an extra 10 quid a month on a bill which is already 40 odd?

hmmmm, im gonna have to read some more

Previously it has been £299, £199, £99 but in the main to new customers only.

I wouldn't pay the extra £10 a month for Sky+ when charged, but when they dropped it I then got one for £49 but had to hassle for the deal, the monthly subs are expensive enough withput paying an extra £10 just to make the box actually work, when they drop the £10, I & many others will then make use of it, I know many people that the extra fee has put them off geting one.

nheather

Distinguished Member
£10 for the SkyHD sub is a matter for personal taste.

I did have it for just over 12 months but then I got rid of it because

I don't have movies or sports. This severely limits what I can get in HD.

BBC HD and Channel 4 HD are free anyway.

The HD channels don't show HD all the time. In fact some of them are mostly SD.

Whether it's my eyesight, my viewing distance or my setup, whilst I can see the difference between HD and SD it's not that great. Sport and documentaries (esp nature) show it up best but film\drama doesn't stand out for me.

HD coverage still isn't that good so a lot of what I watch is only available in SD anyway.

So I decided that I just didn't feel the need to continue to pay for the HD once the 12 months were up.

I like the box and HDMI connection though - mine shows SD better than my previous Sky+ box did.

Cheers,

Nigel

Speed

Prominent Member
A little question, does the HD box once turned on automaticaly pop up on screnn as Sky+ does Via RGB scart or do you have to fiddle with the input select as for other HDMI sources.

If so, the wife will not allow a HD box as she cannot be arsed fiddling about with input select controls or really learning how to operate them, she just wants to fire it up & watch! :rolleyes:

Depends on the Tv, but usually when something connected via HDMI is turned on, the Tv automatically switches to that source.

marty2005

Prominent Member
Half the HD channels are premium so you'd need further subs to watch those.

I can't see why $$$ky charge £10 to watch HD, doesn't make it for everyone.

You should have a look at DirectTv that they get in the USA. 150+ HD channels and you don't get charged because they are HD - you pay a monthly sub but it's a lot cheaper than $$$ky.

Even without a sub you still get loads of cable and ota HD.

Plus with $$$ky you have to have a separate digital output for the 5.1 audio as the hdmi only carries 2 channel sound. Hdmi is supposed to be about less cables and an all in one. sort of (we all know it's to stop people recording).

The audio is not hd either.

Last edited:

drewhuge

Standard Member
Got mine in yesterday - guy came out in the snow for 7.30am as promised - he was the only sky engineer about! Worked out as free, more or less, once I'd sold the Sky + on ebay the same afternoon for 'Buy it now' - obviously not free as I'm paying the £10 a month extra, but depending on your circumstances that's either a big deal or you won't notice it. For me, I watch a lot of sports - especially football and cricket - and the difference is great. National Geographic and History look good too. The standard definition is a bit cloudy. Only really worth it if the channels available are ones you watch a lot (i.e the stuff on Sky 1, Sports), otherwise wait for more channels to come on stream.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom