SKY HD box into router

Moldiver

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've finally been switched to unlimited sky broadband instead of connect after years and now I want to try sky anytime+, problem is, phone socket is downstairs and I've got a cable that runs from the master socket to a socket in the tv room which has only one point for the small net connection that comes from the router.

An adapter is no use as I can't have sky and net going into the same socket because it sends different signals which make my net unusable.

I've thought about plugging the sky box directly into the router but the small cable that comes out the back of the box is the same one the router uses for net and the sky routers only have one connection for this.

Any help would be great, thanks.

A better explanation of the problem would be great too!

What is a 'small net connection'?

To simplify, you either leave your router where it is and run an ethernet cable to it. Or, get a wireless adaptor from Sky. Or, plug the router into the socket near the box and connect with short ethernet cable providing all other devices are wireless.

Cable that comes out of sky box is an RJ11 and my router only has one connection for that which goes to the phone socket giving me my net connection. Would and RJ11 to RJ45 cable work?

What is a 'small net connection'?

The OP is mistakenly referring to the telephone line connection!

OP: What make of router is it? It should have a number of large ethernet connector sockets on the back. These are what you need to connect to the ethernet socket on the Sky box.

You know what I've had sky since like 91 and I thought I was pretty clued up on what was going on with their tech. Just had a look at the back of the box and there is an RJ45 connection. Guess I should of had a better look butte box was hidden away.

With this Connected do I need to worry about the other connection on the box, the telephone one? Just incase I order something on SBO.

I ask because just wanted to check how much the anytime + movies were but said my phoneline wasn't connected, I think it could be because it hasn't been connected in a while and I need to wait for sky to send a signal out.

Last edited:
With this Connected do I need to worry about the other connection on the [Sky] box, the telephone one? Just incase I order something on SBO.
Not unless you have multiroom or are still within a 12 months contract.

The telephone socket is to conenct direct to the telephone line to let you pay more money to Sky for their silly games and for more films and things than you already get through your subscription.
If you don't have multiroom and don't want to pay more then as Johnbyte says you don't need it connected.
The "ethernet" socket is to connect to your Sky router to get through Anytime+ for nothing more films and things than you already get through your subscription.
If you want to use it you'll need the right cable for it.

Last edited:
They charge extra for ordering by voice call, but I don't see why that should affect recording.

When I've phoned up to order they told me that I won't be able to record it and when I go to the box office channel it will play but can't record it. Once sky I get the signal from sky I will check again.

I don't see how they could do that - either way you get to see the item the same way, so if it can be recorded when it's ordered one way surely it can when it's done the other way?:confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom