sky hd box - if i cancel sky...

Millertime9

to be honest, im sick of the price. ive just realised i dont actually watch thatmuch tv, so i cant justify 50 quid a month. IF i cancel my sky account, will i still receive freeview channels through my hd box, even tho i dont have an analogue aerial?

if thats what im doing am i as well selling the hd box and just getting a normal freeview box?

thanks people

Dogers

You will, yes.

Although be aware of what you'll lose! Rumour has it that you don't get Sky Sports News as a free channel, but if you have Freeview, you get it free there.. :eek: :confused:

Millertime9

hmm, sky sports news is a free channel though!?

right,so the fact i havent got an analogue aerial doesnt matter since its getting beamed from the satellite still?

when was sky hd introduced? dont think im through my 12 months yet, i was one of first to get it

in hindsight, it was a bit of an anticlimax. good for the world cup. but rest of content is terrible

Starburst

Distinguished Member
to be honest, im sick of the price. ive just realised i dont actually watch thatmuch tv, so i cant justify 50 quid a month. IF i cancel my sky account, will i still receive freeview channels through my hd box, even tho i dont have an analogue aerial?

if thats what im doing am i as well selling the hd box and just getting a normal freeview box?

thanks people

Damn shame you didn't realise you spent so little time in front of the TV last May/June;)

Freeview is the terrestrial digital service which you need an aerial and Freeview box for (plus live in a coverage area), from satellite FreesatfromSKY is the closet thing and that's what you will get with an ex-subscription smartcard (plus no DVR functions but you will get BBC HD for as long as it's on).

As for selling the SKY+ HD, well there is the BBC HD stuff which may continue and many people see improvements in SD pictures thanks to the HDMI output over RGB scart. As for Freeview then if it's a go then a DVR is a must have, just like SKY+ it makes watching TV so much more pleasurable even if you only watch a little.

Millertime9

ok so even tho i dont have an aerial, im stillgood to go?

tbh, even if i worked it out id still have went for it. i need brand new things as soon as they come out!

Starburst

Distinguished Member
ok so even tho i dont have an aerial, im stillgood to go?

tbh, even if i worked it out id still have went for it. i need brand new things as soon as they come out!

Freeview needs an aerial, if you live in a good area an indoor aerial may work perfectly fine. SKY HD launched May 22/23 I think so you can't cancel until then but if you do then you will get the Freesat as mentioned and that is the satellite service so no aerial needed.

I would recommend Freeview, it's a pretty good service and once an aerial is fitted it's there for decades so as a one off cost it's a good investment and plenty of choice in the STB's with DVR options.

Who doesn't want the latest toy:)

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Wasn't Sky supposed to be pulling the channel along with their others on Freeview and launching something else ?

Stuart

SKY proposed a H.264 DTT box which would then offer all the non-SKY mpeg2 SD channels on DTT plus SKY's own mpeg4 channels including a sports offering.
However SKY can not do this until OFCOM allow PAY broadcasting on the MUX SKY use and objections from SKY's partners in the Freeview consortium are smoothed over.

Basically it looks like it won't happen, at least not yet:)

anroob

just a quick thought, i don't think you will have access to any recordings on your HDD after cancelling your monthly subs, so make sure you watch/copy anything important.
i may be wrong and someone will be able to confirm/deny this.

TCM2007

Novice Member
No, you don't have acces to pay TV after you cancel.

Remeber you can't cancel completly until you've had HD 12 months.

Banksie

just a quick thought, i don't think you will have access to any recordings on your HDD after cancelling your monthly subs, so make sure you watch/copy anything important.
i may be wrong and someone will be able to confirm/deny this.

You are absolutely right the hard drive sky+ function will be turned off so no access to any programmes stored on it previously.If you want this function it will cost you £10 a month without subscription channels.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom