• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

sky hd box fitted, now no freeview

jonnymellor

Standard Member
just fitted my new sky hd plus box, connected up the same way as my old sky plus box but the hd box as knocked out all the freeview channels in all rooms, i have changed the rf setting in the engineers setting to on but still nothing, i can get a very grainy sky picture in the kitchen once scanned, everybody i ask is at a loss, please help

MartinPickering

Make sure the TV aerial cable is connected to the Sky Digibox aerial input. Make sure the Digibox RF2 output is connected to the amplified splitter and - if this is not self-powered - that the RF outlet power is set to ON in the Installer Setup Menu.

jonnymellor

Standard Member
thanks Martin, the tv aerial is connected to the input, the RF2 is then connected to the wall socket as before, this is connected to the amplified splitter in the loft which feeds all the other sockets in the house, when we scan for freeview on all the other tv's including the main set next to the sky box we get nothing, i have set the Rf outlet power to on in the installer setup menu, somebody else said change the channel from 68 to 21 which did pick up a very poor unwatchable itv, c4 etc ten in total, is the something else i can try, thanks

Johnbyte

Forget the RF output channel for the moment, that's simply for the Sky box output, and nothing to do with Freeview. How is the main set connected? Direct to the RF1 output of the Sky box? Or is this also connected via the amplified splitter in the loft?

MartinPickering

A lot of people think that the connections are in the correct sockets but, when they check, discover they are mistaken.

Set your RF output channel to a number between 21 and 69 which is NOT used by any Freeview multiplex (or analogue broadcast if you are in an area that hasn't been switched off).

Check that the amplifier really is receiving power (usually has an LED). Check that all plugs on RF cables are correctly fitted.

smiler30

Change the rf number or check one off the remote tvs in the tuning menu for the old rf number, it's normally in manual tuning.

jonnymellor

Standard Member
at the moment the main aerial cable is connected to aerial in, RF1 goes to the wall socket, RF2 goes to the main tv & i changed the default channel to 21 from 68, since doing this i have picked up 10 freeview channels which are unwatchable, when i first connected everything up i had RF1 to the tv & RF2 to the wall socket & got nothing

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
What do you get when you connect the aerial direct to the wall socket?

jonnymellor

Standard Member
to smiler30
just checked the tv in the kitchen, it is set at 21 as is the hd box,

to davemurgatroyd2
nothing at the moment, i used to get all channels includung the sky channel being watch on the main tv to all rooms in the house

to smiler30
just checked the tv in the kitchen, it is set at 21 as is the hd box,

to davemurgatroyd2
nothing at the moment, i used to get all channels includung the sky channel being watch on the main tv to all rooms in the house

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyCob

Try taking the sky box out of the loop to test your aerial/amp/distribution system. In other words put the aerial direct into wall return socket that feeds the other TVs in the house. Retune your other TVs if they don't work you have something else wrong somewhere, if the aerial works when connected direct into your main TV then you need to check your cabling or distribution amplifier on the return loop, if the aerial direct into the main TV doesn't work then there is a fault on the incoming cable or aerial. If that all works you either have a setup or cabling issue with the Sky box or the box is faulty.

When you say you turned the RF2 on the Sky box did you turn on the output or the RF2 power supply meant for a magic eye. Many older distribution amps will not pass the voltage through or may even be damaged by it's presence which is why it's off by default.

The setup should be if everything is working aerial into aerail in on Sky box, RF1 out to TV, and RF2 out to the return loop to feed the rest of the house.

Also which tuner are you tuning, you will only be able to tune into Sky using your TV's analogue tuner not the digital freeview tuner. So you may need to retune both now, the analogue to get the Sky feed on channel 21/68 whatever you have set it to, and the digital tuner to restore freeview.

Last edited:

jonnymellor

Standard Member
re the RF2 thing, i was told to going into the secret engineers menu 001 select, go to RF section, then down to the RF outlet power supply & change to on, i did this while setup as you said i should be, i retuned the tv's but nothing, i was then told to change the channel number to 21 for 68, this did give me the sky channel, then i change the RF1 to wall socket & RF2 to tv, this give me 10 very poor freeview channels, this is how it is now
re trying taking the sky box out of the loop i will try tomorrow

re the RF2 thing, i was told to going into the secret engineers menu 001 select, go to RF section, then down to the RF outlet power supply & change to on, i did this while setup as you said i should be, i retuned the tv's but nothing, i was then told to change the channel number to 21 for 68, this did give me the sky channel, then i change the RF1 to wall socket & RF2 to tv, this give me 10 very poor freeview channels, this is how it is now
re trying taking the sky box out of the loop i will try tomorrow

AndyCob

The setting in the engineers menu is for the RF2 power supply (this is the 9 or 5v supply sent down the coax for a magic eye) it's not needed for just an RF signal and indeed as I metioned may not be compatible with some older distribution amplifiers. The actual RF signal output on RF2 is always on, try turning the RF power off it may be interfearring with your distribution amplifier, it might even damage an old one.

Trying the aerial direct into the return loop will tell you if everything is ok with the aerial/distribution amplifier.

The important question you haven't answered is are you using the TV's digital or analogue tuners. The Sky box's RF ouput is analogue but freeview is digital. You will need to tune your TV's digital tuner for freeview, then seperately you will need to tune your TV's analogue tuner for analogue TV boradcasts if you have them then manually set a channel on the analogue tuner to 21/68 etc for the sky feed, if your setting a channel on the digital tuner it won't work.

jonnymellor

Standard Member
the splitter is about 10 years old, would you recommend changing it
again i'll try the loop tomorrow
re the third part of your question if i understand it correctly, my answer to that is all the tv's are freeview built in, the main set is a panasonic veira 3d smart tv which was purchased this weekend so we could use the new hd sky box, so aren't these already setup whit digital tuners?

the splitter is about 10 years old, would you recommend changing it
again i'll try the loop tomorrow
re the third part of your question if i understand it correctly, my answer to that is all the tv's are freeview built in, the main set is a panasonic veira 3d smart tv which was purchased this weekend so we could use the new hd sky box, so aren't these already setup whit digital tuners?

AndyCob

I wouldn't recomend changing the splitter unless it is not working, you can test that as I said by feeding the aerial direct into the return loop.

I think you are missing something important about the TV tuners. Almost all current TVs have TWO tuners, an old style analogue TV tuner, this receives the older analogue TV broadcasts limted to BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4 and 5 and their various regional variations (this broadcast system is slowly being deactivated) and a newer digital freeview tuner that gets all the freeview channels ~100 or so.

To do what you want you need to set-up BOTH tuners the analogue and the digital, you will need to refer to your various TV manuals. The reason for this is the RF output for the Sky picture sent by RF is analogue (this is what the RF channel number in the installers menu refers to). To receive freeview on your TVs you will need to tune in the DIGITAL tuners. You CAN'T tune in the Sky box RF output that shows the actual Sky picture on the DIGITAL tuner, so you also need to seperately tune in the analogue tuners and tune one of the analogue channels (say 6 for example leaving 1-5 to BBC1-Channel5 for example) and set the tuning for that channel to the RF channel number set in the Sky box installers menu to get the actual Sky picture, again refer to your TV manual for how to. You then also need to switch between tuners depending on what you want to watch, if you want to watch freeview you use the digital tuner, if you want to see the picture from the Sky box you need to switch to the analogue tuner and slect the channel tuned to the correct frequency.

The point is there almost certainly are two tuners in all your TV's and you need to setup BOTH, by the sounds of it when you say you have 10 poor freeview channels I suspect you may well be looking at the analogue tuner, digital channels tend ot work or not work

MartinPickering

re the RF2 thing, i was told to going into the secret engineers menu 001

I notice that you keep referring to the Installer Setup Menu as the "secret engineers menu". I can assure you that there are no secret engineers - although Sky would probably like us to believe in them. ;)

I also notice that you don't use punctuation or begin sentences with a capital letter. This not only makes it difficult to understand your posts but also suggests that your attention to detail is not good and, therefore, you probably overlooked something so basic that none of us has even thought to mention it. :rolleyes:

If the Sky Digibox is the ONLY thing you've changed then logic says that it must be the culprit. However, I suspect that you may have changed something else (a fly lead?) but omitted to mention it.

Anyway, assuming that you have the old Digibox, please reconnect it and let us know whether that fixes the Freeview problem.

Simply "looping it out" probably won't help if it is providing power to the amplified splitter. But try that anyway if you don't have another Digibox.

Andy's post makes good sense, too. If you are trying to tune in Freeview with an analogue tuner, I wouldn't be at all surprised!

Last edited:

logiciel

I was surprised to see how many posts this subject had provoked but now I see that several were duplicates so I've had to merge them and now it's up to OP to edit them, and preferably add that punctuation at the same time!
I'd recommend going back to the standard Sky channel 68 output for the analogue tuning.
The confusion about what the Sky machine's RF Out sockets are connected to also needs to be resolved.
When channels appear but are unwatchable that sounds like analogue, but ten of them sounds like Freeview!
Going back to basics - does wallplate-Aerial-In direct to main-TV-Aerial-In work for Freeview?

Last edited:

jonnymellor

Standard Member
I am very sorry about my punctuation etc, it is probably the result of a poor education & possibly you maybe correct about my attention to detail isn't as good as some, are you a teacher by any chance, you remind of my best mate who is a headteacher.

So lets start again from the beginning, I purchased the new tv this weekend to go with the new sky plus HD box, along with new monster cables, ie HDMI & coax cable, these were recommended by the sale person to give us the best picture quality.

I setup the tv & sky box following the installation guide, we had to call sky to activate/update the card, 10 minutes later we were viewing sky in HD.

Please don't tell me that I have wasted £60 on cables.

So the only cable that is different is the gold coax cable which i used from the RF1 to the tv, the old sky plus box wasn't connected via a HDMI cable but the new HD box requires this, so this has been fitted also.

The old fly lead is being use as before to connect the sky box to the wall socket.

All the tv sets in the house are no more than 2 years old, all three have both analogue & digital tuners.
When retuning they firstly auto tune the digital tuner & finds 10 freeview channels which keep breaking up.
Then it auto tunes the analogue tuner, sometimes it finds the sky channel, sometimes it doesn't, when it does its a very grainy picture which isn't worth watching.

If you lived nearby I would willing buy you good bottle of malt to come & sort it.

Again sorry about my poor punctuation, please cut me some slack, I'm dyslexic, I find it easier to talk over the phone rather than the written word.

jonnymellor

Standard Member
I'm surprised at the response too, but very grateful.

I will start a fresh tomorrow then I have more time, it's getting late now.

Just to answer your question about the wall plate, it is the link to the splitter in the loft, we have them in every room, the aerial fitter who fitted the system when we moved in 10 years ago told me how it all worked, he said that the lead comes straight from the aerial to the sky box (aerial in socket), a link from RF1 to the tv, then the fly lead from RF2 to the wall socket feeding the rest of the house.
You are correct that the unwatchable channel is the analogue sky channel & the 10 channels are freeview.

Hope to give you all some good news tomorrow.
Good night

smiler30

Try plugging the old box in for a few minutes and check what the old rf number was, then try that on the new box and retune the tvs.

logiciel

Thanks very much for the new summary - it makes the situation totally clear now.
Does wallplate-Aerial-In direct to main-TV-Aerial-In work for Freeview?

AndyCob

Yes situation is now clear, and don't worry to much about the spelling and punctuation, just look at my posts the number of typos and reversed letters is painful to notice and I thought I checked them. Anyway when I see someone with a problem and I think I know something that might help I generally try.

As has been suggested above I think you need to do some testing as I suggested a few posts ago to see what is or is not working.

I would suggest, removing the sky box and testing as follows:

1. Connect aerial direct to new main TV and tune the analogue and digital tuners.
Do you get all channels with good reception.
If yes your aerial is working, proceed to 2.
If no you have a fault in your aerial or cabling from the aerial.

2. Connect aerial direct to the return loop which feeds the other TVs in the house and retune them.
Do you get all channels with good reception on all sets.
If yes your return loop and signal distribution system is working, proceed to 3.
If no you have a fault in your return loop wiring or distribution/amplifier system.

3. Re insert Sky+HD box (turn RF2 power OFF in installers menu this is only required to power a magic eye and can interfere with or even damage old signal amplifiers). Aerial to aerial in, RF1 out to main TV, RF2 out to return loop to rest of house. DO NOT RETUNE YET.
Now what do you receive on what TVs.
If the main TV has good recpetion then the Sky box is successfully passing the RF aerial signal from aerial in to RF1 out. If it does not either the cable from the box RF1 out to the main TV or the Sky box is faulty.
Do the other TVs in ths house have good reception. If yes the Sky box is successfuly passing the aerial in to the RF2 output and round the return loop to the rest of the house. If not either the cable from the box RF2 out to the return loop or the Sky box is faulty.

If you have recpetion on all TVs everything is working and all you need to do is manually add the channel for the RF signal from the Sky box on the analogue tuners of the other TVs in the rest of the house.

Hope that helps it is pretty step by step and yes you were scammed a bit, there really is little or no need for the overpriced cables most retailers try and push on new TV purchasers, they are most unlikely to offer any noticable improvement over much cheaper ones though they most likely won't do any harm either.

Last edited:

logiciel

Point one is what I was getting at in posts #17 and #21.

He did ask us not to tell him what two of you have just told him.

AndyCob

I was gentle about it though.:p

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom