Sky HD Box Choices

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ahaydock, Feb 5, 2009.

1. ahaydock

ahaydock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I am seriously considering taking up Sky's current offer of Sky HD for £49, however I have 2 options and wondered what you thought is the best:

1. Go with Sky directly, get the box for £49, free install and ones months HD subs free but it is unlikely I will get Component Out so will need a HDMI to DVI Convereter (approximately £10) as I have no spare HDMI Inputs, or

2. Go with a local firm and get the box for £49, £30 install plus no free subs. However they have checked the box they will give me which has Component Out (I would need to buy leads though).

I use a Communal Dish so it may be if I went with Sky and they came out they would walk away (like they have done before) – despite us telling them we share a Communal dish!

TIA.

2. careless_adi

careless_adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Uckfield, East Sussex, UK, Earth, Milky Way
    Ratings:
    +262
    Hi there.

I had Sky HD installed about 3 weeks ago using the same £49 offer and free install but I got it through Currys.

I was expecting the box to come with component output as well as HDMI and was greatly dissapointed as I can't utilise two outputs!

All I can say is that the HMDI only box I have is a Samsung and I have not had a problem with it... yet *insert fingers crossed smiley*. The older machines have component outputs but these are either Pace or Thompson which (by reading other posts) seem to have a few faults.

Basically I would suggest getting a new HDMI only box (preffably Samsung or Amstrad seeing as Sky bought Amstrad).

Hope that helps!

3. ahaydock

ahaydock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Thanks so would it be better then to get a new box and use a DVI to HDMI converter than the other box with component out?

How does the PQ differ between the two?

4. ahaydock

ahaydock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Bump please ;)