Question Sky HD box and optical out no Dolby Digital

flashp

I'm going round the twist with this. I have a Sky box configured so that the HDMI out port is carrying stereo so that my HDMI RF modulator distributes stereo audio to all the other TV's around the house - this works fine. The Optical port on the Sky box is intended to carry Dolby Digital to the AV amp, a Denon AVR X2600H. The Sky box is connected to HDMI 1 and the audio is configured to Optical input 1.

IMG_20191019_221126.jpg

IMG_20191019_222146.jpg

I don't get any audio when watching Sky configured this way. The only way to get it to work in any fashion is to set the input mode in the Denon menu to auto where it will output stereo only, not 5.1.

On my old amp i had this working using a coaxial connection but this amp doesn't have one.

There is a light visible in the Optical lead and both ends are properly latched in place.

Any assistance welcomed!

Last edited:

TJT1

It seems that the "Do not post about sky here" Sticky has 'gone missing' from the thread list.

John

Just help the poster and let the moderators moderate
If you cant answer the question ........

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
Am I missing something but your screen shot shows sky connected to hdmi 1 but your text says it’s hdmi 2? :)

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
That’s ok, I just thought I’d stumbled on the problem. Sorry don’t understand why it wouldn’t work. Hopefully someone will have an idea.
Couldn’t help notice you are in Havant, I used to live in Leigh Park until I moved to Bath in 1974. Hope you get a resolution to your problem.:)

flashp

That’s ok, I just thought I’d stumbled on the problem. Sorry don’t understand why it wouldn’t work. Hopefully someone will have an idea.
Couldn’t help notice you are in Havant, I used to live in Leigh Park until I moved to Bath in 1974. Hope you get a resolution to your problem.:)
Thanks for giving some thought all the same. Yes, it's just around the corner from me in Denvilles.

Lee

Can you try a different optical port on the amp to eliminate a dodgy port? Can you assign no hdmi on the sky HD input? I'm looking on my marantz amp and have nothing assigned to the HDMI but then I haven't got the input mode that you have.

flashp

Red glow would suggest the Box is outputting a signal and the issue will be with the AVR settings.

Joe
Hmm, I don't think there's anything else I can change. I can only surmise that what's coming out of the optical port isn't 5.1 audio, although something is present on this output. 5.1 is present on the coaxial output however but I don't have an input on this receiver for that.

ChuckMountain

To clarify the sky box goes hdmi into the rf modulator then into the amp then the tv?

If you put it in auto and it reverts to stereo it would suggest it is picking up the audio of the HDMI. As you have set that to stereo on sky, that's why you would only get stereo.

You would need to ensure that the optical port that you plugged sky into is assigned to HDMI 1. That as others have said is the most likely cause.

Can you confirm you have done this and/or what port the optical is plugged and we can check the manual.

flashp

Can you try a different optical port on the amp to eliminate a dodgy port? Can you assign no hdmi on the sky HD input? I'm looking on my marantz amp and have nothing assigned to the HDMI but then I haven't got the input mode that you have.
I tried the remaining optical port, no dice there either. If I assign no hdmi I lose the picture.

flashp

To clarify the sky box goes hdmi into the rf modulator then into the amp then the tv?

If you put it in auto and it reverts to stereo it would suggest it is picking up the audio of the HDMI. As you have set that to stereo on sky, that's why you would only get stereo.

You would need to ensure that the optical port that you plugged sky into is assigned to HDMI 1. That as others have said is the most likely cause.

Can you confirm you have done this and/or what port the optical is plugged and we can check the manual.
The hdmi port on the sky box goes to a splitter, one output goes to the RF modulator, the other to the amp. The RF modulator can only distribute stereo.

HDMI digital output is set to normal, and audio output set to stereo.
When digital audio output is set to 'dolbyD' I get 5.1 over coax but not optical.

The optical lead is in 'optical 1'.

I agree, when I do get sound it's from the hdmi connection. If there's audio present on the optical cable it seems to be impossible to map it to the hdmi port.

Lee

5.1 is present on the coaxial output however but I don't have an input on this receiver for that.
Had a look at the manual and it says there is a coaxial port on the amp, can you try that? Sorry if i've misunderstood

ChuckMountain

The hdmi port on the sky box goes to a splitter, one output goes to the RF modulator, the other to the amp. The RF modulator can only distribute stereo.

HDMI digital output is set to normal, and audio output set to stereo.
When digital audio output is set to 'dolbyD' I get 5.1 over coax but not optical.

The optical lead is in 'optical 1'.

I agree, when I do get sound it's from the hdmi connection. If there's audio present on the optical cable it seems to be impossible to map it to the hdmi port.
Yep looking at the menu on the instructions, your screenshot shows you should have the right assignment. However it also looks like you have tweaked it a bit.

It might be worth resetting it to check something else buried somewhere isn't overriding it.

Had a look at the manual and it says there is a coaxial port on the amp, can you try that? Sorry if i've misunderstood
Yes agreed would need to reassign the coax to the right HDMI input though.

Coax and Optical shared the same output setting from memory on sky HD.

Out of interest have you tried plugging the HDMI into something other than 1 and seeing if the optical still works if you select HDMI 1. Obviously no picture but might see if it is work?

flashp

I noticed that about the manual, my receiver doesn't have a coaxial port. I resigned to thinking the manufacturing spec changed without the manual being updated.

EDIT: I just contacted Denon and they confirmed it's an editorial error on their part.

Last edited:

Lee

Issue looks to be the setting of Digital on Input Mode isn't working. As ChuckMountain says a reset could be worth a try.

flashp

Yep looking at the menu on the instructions, your screenshot shows you should have the right assignment. However it also looks like you have tweaked it a bit.

It might be worth resetting it to check something else buried somewhere isn't overriding it.

Yes agreed would need to reassign the coax to the right HDMI input though.

Coax and Optical shared the same output setting from memory on sky HD.

Out of interest have you tried plugging the HDMI into something other than 1 and seeing if the optical still works if you select HDMI 1. Obviously no picture but might see if it is work?
I'm beginning to think Sky have the optical port occupied with something other than an audio signal. I just spoke to them and they were unable to help or comment on the feature set of their own hardware.

Lee

I'm beginning to think Sky have the optical port occupied with something other than an audio signal. I just spoke to them and they were unable to help or comment on the feature set of their own hardware.
I use the optical for 5.1 and have no issues but I have the HDMI go to the TV.

ChuckMountain

It's probably they didn't have it on their call script or didn't know where to find it. It's getting less common these days to use (I still use mine) so unfortunately some people will just be unaware.

If the button to the top left resets the settings I would try that. Then I would ensure sky is on and switch to the respective HDMI the optical is assigned to and check for sound.

ChuckMountain

Daft question, is the channel you are watching outputting Dolby digital. If it’s a regular channel then it might well be stereo only.

rjg

I had something similar the other day. The old Sky+HD box was putting stereo onto the HDMI which was itself going via a splitter, and I was using the coax connection for DD into the amp. In order to avoid getting stereo on the amp I had reassigned the audio input for AV1 to the coax port, all was fine.

Then last week I had a Sky Q box installed. Everything was fine, but no audio on the amp at all. I'd removed the splitter and the HDMI was connected directly, but no audio.

This is a Yamaha receiver. It took a little while to work out that the way to unassign the audio port redirection is to choose 'none' instead of 'coax' in the assignment menu, and then it goes back to whatever is carried on the HDMI cable. Different amp and different setup to yours, but it was certainly confusing. Lots of time spent looking at the wrong thing.

I would reconfigure the HDMI 1 input assignment to use HDMI and temporarily set the Sky output to DD just to make sure you get it. Then try 'normal'. Then try using the optical lead into a different input just to see if there's anything on it. I suspect that it is the optical input on the amp that isn't playing ball.
Try everything...

rjg

I've just noticed over on the Sky forums somebody mentioned that DD over optical stopped working with firmware Q101. That's on a mini into an AV amp. Possibly related?

Edit: D'oh - yours is a Sky HD box.... never mind.

Last edited: