• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

sky+hd box and marantz pm 6005 dac question

sanj87

Standard Member
hi i am just wondering when i connect my amp to the sky+ hd box via optixal or coaxial then go to settings- sound- digital audio output- optical then set it as dolby d i am not getting any sound on the hd channels. basically i am doubting if the internal dac for my marantz works with the sky+hd box. can anybody confirm this for me?

stitch123

Established Member
I didn't either. I had mine set to stereo. I figured this was correct as I was listening in stereo. Even using the hdmi to tv then optical out from the tv to amp I didn't get sound with Dolby d selected.

It's also the same with my NAD

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Agreed. Set the sky box audio output to stereo and should be fine. I had the same issue using coax from sky and optical from wdtv into my stereo amp and had to set both outputs to stereo.

After researching I found that most stereo DACs do not decode Dolby digital and assume a stereo source from cd players, etc. AV amps /AV preamps DAC will since most multichannel sources are Dolby Or DTS formats.

Licensing fees could also be a factor. A Dolby decoder is pretty much always licensed into devices that can handle stereo and multichannel sources. So if a source's output can be set to suit, which most if not all can do, I can't see a manufacturer spending money on something they don't need to have.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom