Sky+ HD Backup Does this work?

No, you cannot record in HD from an HDMI output.

Thanks for the reply

I missed an important part to the image, codes for the cables

Blue = HDMI
RED = RF

The Edision Modulator turns the HDMI into RF, best explained here

It becomes a Feeview HD channel so to speak, a bit like the old RF loop from the old Sky boxes.

So the WinTV can record say BBC1HD, why couldn't it record SKYHD on my Freeview loop?

Incorrect... all you need is a device that strips out HDCP or acts as a monitor to convert into a different format, ala the DVBT modulator here. It'll work just fine.

I missed the "Edison" box in the picture viewing it on my iPhone.

Incorrect... all you need is a device that strips out HDCP or acts as a monitor to convert into a different format, ala the DVBT modulator here. It'll work just fine.
Thank you.

Just want to be sure before spending the hard earned!

Anyone actually done this?

Something you want to check is how that 'modulator' box handles HDCP, it is clearly capable of turning an HDMI input into a DVBT output, but will it only work for unprotected content such as the FTA channels or is it also a HDCP stripper. Generally speaking digital to digital HDCP strippers are as I understand it prohibited under the usage terms for the HDCP chips, which is why you don't see HDMI to HDMI HDCP strippers, but maybe as this converts to DVBT that doesn't apply but as it is not mentioned it is something to check before buying.

Last edited:
Hi

Alternative approach is to backup hard drive files, look at EXPVR software.
http://www.ph-mb.com/products/expvr/about

In the past I have opened sky box connected to caddy or then backed up with this software, image from drive of selected recordings. Then migrated selected from various backups to new drive for new sky box after original sky box failed. Cost me £20 for full version but worth it to save those personally important recordings. Bit of a pain to dis assemble box but once done once, 30 minute job. Ran system once with hard drive caddy permanently attached to box so I could do periodic backups via another caddy.

Final qualification is that I haven't used this software in anger for 18 months and sky do have habit of changing things. Although software has worked with many changes and there is a support forum.

As you would expect will invalidate your sky box warrantee. But sky's approach to failure is swap box so you lose everything!

Hope helps.

Kevin

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm going to have to take the plunge and get myself an Edision modulator and find out for myself, if not I'll still have SkyHD all around the house, bit better than the old analogue picture.

Let us know how you get on hefinland
as I'm thinking of an Edision myself for distribution.

just buy 1 of those dirt cheap hdmi pvr recorders that disable hdcp, it wont look a good as the original though as your re-encoding.

I don't know about a pc based recorder, but you can certainly record the output from a sky box modulated with an edision to a usb stick using my old samsung 6000 series smart tv. As far as its concerned itsjust anotherfreeview hd channel.

Forgot to add, move the edision to between the output of the amp and rf input on the io link, it doesn't have dc pass so it will block sky eye commands from reaching rf2

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom